The best legal ebike kit

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If the postage to France is as advertised it is indeed a bargain. My only question is why didn't you get the touring version with rack and guards and frame lock? It is the same price. Some of the stuff on it might be worth keeping.

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
If the postage to France is as advertised it is indeed a bargain. My only question is why didn't you get the touring version with rack and guards and frame lock? It is the same price. Some of the stuff on it might be worth keeping.
The touring version has cable brakes unfortunately , or I would of purchased that version, this frame has all the figments for mudguards etc, it also has plenty of room if you feel the need for 650b rims and wide tyres,
The tyres supplied are 700c x35 kenda kourier bit like a cyclocross tyre.

• Informative
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Went out to play on the greenway Bafang Max drive today, changed front chainwheel from 38t to 44t on the flat it's very easy to cruise at 19 -20 mph power level 1, The motor when cruising along is totally silent all you hear is wind noise , maybe slight electric frequency type noise, no gear or mechanical at all, gear changes are really smooth,power is cut by way of a polish/Czech shift detection box in the shifter line just down from the shifter mech on the handlebar. Gearsensor.com is written on the box.
The torque sensor is really good ,if I stand up to power away from a junction it really pulls away strong,u also hear the motor work a little , when I put power level high and went to first or second gear and push the pedal hard with weight not over the front end ,the wheel comes straight up in the air ,this could be interesting off-road.

Gears,wheels ,axles etc.are all pretty standard sizes,interchangeable with higher grade items from hybrid bike/ cyclocross etc, that's how I had a 44t chain wheel knocking around.

Bike still gives you a workout,as no throttle available so u got to pedal, it's E marked with the E----- certification and no throttle , pedal only, when weather is a little better I'm going to try to see what range it'll do and report back, trying not to sound like a salesman here guys , more of someone pleased with their purchase.

25kmh was programmed into the setting also wheel size etc. but easily altered,no buying a speedbox etc, to fool the system and reading half speed at £100!, I have the option of changing password if I want to lock my setting from anyone in the future, for instance to make it legal sale and to stop tampering,which is what Bafang sort of state on the installation manual for dealers.
Question to give food for thought should I buy spare battery,he's selling them for £179 10.4 ah I like the set up of the battery , just a plus and a Neg that join by way of slotting battery into lug on base one side and pushing top sideways into lock point, this pushes the prongs in battery base into connection in bottle carrier.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I was concerned that it might turn up with an 8fun CD and not the Max Drive, as in the description there is no mention of Max Drive.
I've had my eye on one too, and had already spoken to them to confirm which Bafang drive it actually is. They checked with their "Taiwan Engineer" and confirmed its the 330.250 Max Comfis with the 07 display.: http://www.szbaf.com/en/drive-systems/drive-system/max/max-comfis.html
My only question is why didn't you get the touring version with rack and guards and frame lock? It is the same price. Some of the stuff on it might be worth keeping.
It's not the same frame/tubing, and the gearing is different too.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Gearing: @Ultrafunkula how is the chainwheel attached? Can we have a detail photo of that please?

I am only interested in the frame and the motor (LCD, battery etc). If the rest isn't of decent quality it would be scrapped and replaced by better quality components. A BBS01 kit with battery is +£750 and you get to mount it on a compatible bike with components of the quality you see fit so probably you will be spending £1500. The max motor is better, has been proved better performer in road testing than Bosch or Yamaha so if I have to spend £500 in components I think I come out on top.

So can we change the gearing on the motor is about the only thing we need to know, we can upgrade practically everything else on the bike.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Guys this thread is now being well hijacked.
This has digressed from the original thread and is now about a legal OEM drive unit/bike so should really have its own thread as this is definitely not a kit bike. Also will prevent confusion as the two systems are totally different though from the same manufacturer.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I consider it to be a kit bike @Nealh. It is a frame with a motor that looks like it might need some serious part swapping and the budget is similar to a BBS0 kit in that case.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
More OEM then a kit bike AK unless a variety of bare frames are made available to house the max drive, you can't simply transpose this in to a normal bike though for $510 the max drive is available on Aliexpress. The budget is fairly similar to a BBS kit ready bike or upper end bbshd/750 kit, but drive/design wise it has more in common with the Bosch/Yamaha bikes with the purpose made/welded motor case in situ.

Last edited:

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Gearing: @Ultrafunkula how is the chainwheel attached? Can we have a detail photo of that please?

I am only interested in the frame and the motor (LCD, battery etc). If the rest isn't of decent quality it would be scrapped and replaced by better quality components. A BBS01 kit with battery is +£750 and you get to mount it on a compatible bike with components of the quality you see fit so probably you will be spending £1500. The max motor is better, has been proved better performer in road testing than Bosch or Yamaha so if I have to spend £500 in components I think I come out on top.

So can we change the gearing on the motor is about the only thing we need to know, we can upgrade practically everything else on the bike.
Chainwheel is fitted by 104pcd 4 hole as per mountain bike, I've upped it to a 44t cadence for the motor is around 100rpm, I'm ordering a 48t chainring for it that will give me better top end, I'm not sure of lowest or highest gear on the back, I'll have to count em when I get back home, I've took it to 27mph but then motor speed is outpedalled hence me changing front to a 48t and going to check rear and possibly swap out and get a half decent 10 speed range on the rear. Low to high, considering a twin chainwheel on front too, it certainly looks possible to fit clamp style front changer..

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
I've had my eye on one too, and had already spoken to them to confirm which Bafang drive it actually is. They checked with their "Taiwan Engineer" and confirmed its the 330.250 Max Comfis with the 07 display.: http://www.szbaf.com/en/drive-systems/drive-system/max/max-comfis.html
It's not the same frame/tubing, and the gearing is different too.
Their Taiwanese engineer is incorrect methinks , see pic below max comfis yes but motor is the 350 , have a butchers at the link at Bafang and go across to components, it lists the 350 alongside the 250 but not in the kit, form

Attachments

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Their Taiwanese engineer is incorrect methinks, see pic below max comfis yes but motor is the 350 , have a butchers at the link at Bafang and go across to components, it lists the 350 alongside the 250 but not in the kit, form
I take your point. My bike (same model as yours) is marked exactly the same way (except mine is a later batch).

It's because the bike seems ridiculously cheap for what it is that I spoke to the owner of East London Bike Co (who owns the Greenway brand), who double-checked with the makers, and they came back with Comfis 330.250.

When I visited their site to pick up my own bike, they were awaiting delivery of another 20 containers of 5000 bikes (mostly ordinary pedal cycles), so ELBC is itself a sizeable operation rather than some little corner bike shop... and the factory that make these e-bikes for East London Bike Co are one of the largest bike makers in China (4500 employees), who make/supply many brands across the world, including Trek. I think maybe because of this scale of supply the motors may be being marked generically for trade supply rather than retail? Even the Dealer Manual is generically marked as being MM G33.350 (which covers all the variants), with voltage and wattage being the latter part of the motor marking label (page 7, naming protocol section 1.3). But I really don't know for sure.

And we're drifting off-topic again...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Chainwheel is fitted by 104pcd 4 hole as per mountain bike, I've upped it to a 44t cadence for the motor is around 100rpm, I'm ordering a 48t chainring for it that will give me better top end, I'm not sure of lowest or highest gear on the back, I'll have to count em when I get back home, I've took it to 27mph but then motor speed is outpedalled hence me changing front to a 48t and going to check rear and possibly swap out and get a half decent 10 speed range on the rear. Low to high, considering a twin chainwheel on front too, it certainly looks possible to fit clamp style front changer..
How is the spider mounted, like the one on the BBS? Is there a notch to mount the inner chainwheel?

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
How is the spider mounted, like the one on the BBS? Is there a notch to mount the inner chainwheel?
It's mounted by way of a spline into freewheel of drive and held onto spline with a large circlip.
Gates do a belt drive set up for the Max Drive to go with alfine hub,with several size tooth wheels available 54t max I think, which takes you into fast road bike territory.