The Bosch drive system

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
There appear to be some of the first Bosch drive system to appear in the UK according to:-

Electric bike magazine

Built on the German Haibike

I am not sure if they are actually on sale yet.

Chris

Just found this link with bikes available.

HaiBike

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That Haibike Enduro high-torque off-roader is a serious competitor to the BikeTec Flyer X bike, similar advantages but under half the price. Only disadvantage is that battery at about half the capacity, but the price difference makes it worth buying a spare.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
That Haibike Enduro high-torque off-roader is a serious competitor to the BikeTec Flyer X bike, similar advantages but under half the price. Only disadvantage is that battery at about half the capacity, but the price difference makes it worth buying a spare.
The battery is 36 Volt 8 Ah, 288 Wh. Doesn't that compare reasonably well with the Panasonic 24 Volt 10 Ah, 240 Wh battery?

Exciting looking bikes!

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
Yes it’s a pity Bosch have opted for only an 8Ah battery. It says in the spec, an optional second battery can be fitted. Not sure where the second battery goes; and I can’t see any prices for the batteries.
I noticed in a video clip of the system, that the batteries are made in France.

Chris

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
beautiful looking.......what kinda range do you think. probably ride OK without power as look light enough

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The battery is 36 Volt 8 Ah, 288 Wh. Doesn't that compare reasonably well with the Panasonic 24 Volt 10 Ah, 240 Wh battery?

Exciting looking bikes!
The Flyer X-bike I compare it with has a 15 Ah battery though, currently changing to 16 Ah, albeit 26 volts. Although in watt hour terms comparable, in the nature of things the Bosch voltage advantage will go in power/torque, not range.

That's why i suggested a second battery to ensure the enjoyment of that bike offroad isn't curtailed prematurely.

As you say, exciting looking, and at these prices competitive with other high end makes, with the unique offroader especially beating the competition.

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
As you say, exciting looking, and at these prices competitive with other high end makes, with the unique offroader especially beating the competition.
Do we have any info on prices, I couldn't see anything?

The neat drive unit and in-frame battery keep the geometry of the frame nicely conventional. Although it's no real detriment to the bike, I've never been keen on the deformed back end which is created by placing the battery outside of the frame. Such as with the Panasonic unit.

I will look forward, with interest, to see how this Bosch unit shapes up in service.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Do we have any info on prices, I couldn't see anything?
Its in the last link. The offroad is £2.7K and the Trekking is £2.2K.

Quite a lot of money but comparable with other high end ebikes as flecc states.

Supprisingly, according to the specs, the offroad is lighter.

For the Trekking I would prefer to see a hub gear.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
I only found this link to a UK supplier of HaiBike

Chris

Sorry Jerry posted before I sent mine, I had a phone call in the middle of my reply!

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
For the Trekking I would prefer to see a hub gear.
Jerry
Yes, I'm a big fan of hub gears on electric bikes, especially crank driven ones. It would have been nice to have seen them on this range of bikes.

Thanks for the pricing info.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Well I think they make the Kalkhoffs and the like look VERY old fashioned......

while i appreciate the off road vid is in the hands of a professional rider, the step climbing vid makes the bike look pretty nimble, powerful and light

So if the battery is 288 watt what kind of mileage would you get? if 20'ish that might be enough for me.

would love to know the weight, no details so far.......

schoe

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2010
I'm told in bottom assist mode about 50 miles range and in top assist about 30miles range. They do look exciting but heavy on the wallet! Weight for the off road is 20 kg.

Rab C Nesbitt

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2008
Really like the look of the Trekking model - just a wee question - any thoughts as to why the frame has a "kink" or bend in it i.e. the pole leading up to the saddle?
I would have thought a straight bar would be a stronger alternative and the post doesn't seem to be bending to avoid any piece of equipment

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Really like the look of the Trekking model - just a wee question - any thoughts as to why the frame has a "kink" or bend in it i.e. the pole leading up to the saddle?
I would have thought a straight bar would be a stronger alternative and the post doesn't seem to be bending to avoid any piece of equipment
The kink is probably just a fashion thing. It would appear that manufacturers feel the need to re-invent the bicycle from time to time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So if the battery is 288 watt what kind of mileage would you get? if 20'ish that might be enough for me.

would love to know the weight, no details so far.......
Realistically some riders might get down to about 20 miles, but most should get over 25 miles. Offroad the consumption can be very high in mileage terms of course, if riding some very tough sections at low speeds and high power.

Weights are 20.4 kilos for the offroad, 22.6 kilos for the more fully equipped road version.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Just spoke to James at Just bikes re the bikes.....Trying to post on here as he was a member before.

the endura FS can be fitted with rear rack, mudguards and lights and Marathon plus tyres.....will wait and see some real world reviews and what the other Bosch bikes are like...but the inverted crank has got to be a winner!

would fit on a cheaper motorhome rack as well.....In some of the you tube videos it does seem emit a fair bit of noise though

Edit: German Pedelec forum has a 150 page discussion on these bikes. have read a bit but got to go to Birmingham......noise is mentioned and very good hill climbing as well

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yes a few interesting videos kicking about including this one

YouTube - HAIBIKE eQ Xduro FS

PS How do you embed video on here ?

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
yes I always loved the Bosh Electric Bike Drive, I love the way it looks and I think it will be a very serious competition for Panasonic drive, don't you think?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I think it'll be a contender when they sort the noise issue out and in v2.0 guise...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I'd be nervous about this first version, coming as it does from a firm knowing nothing about bicycles.

The Panasonic system by comparison was created as a result of them being a long established and experienced bicycle manufacturer, but even then version 1 did have the odd problems.

The current Panasonic system sets the standard for silence and reliability, and it's a hard act to follow. Nonetheless, it's good to see the competition from Bosch and Daum and no doubt they will improve.

However, that off road Haibike is tempting, lacking any competition at it's price for a mid motor, competent looking offroader, and a little noise probably isn't a problem for most in that application.