The Last Wisper Sneak Preview of the year. 12kg Road Bike

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
does a brick fall; faster than a feather, then you have the answer ;)
Not sure what you mean here, in a vacuum they would both fall at the same rate but obviously in air due to wind resistance the brick will fall quicker. Are you saying that if the wind resistance hasn't increased (as was the case in my example) then the extra weight does mean I will travel faster? Or that I will travel at the same speed in both cases?

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is densety vs bouncy so the extra waight would give you more mass so travel faster down a steep flat hill.

its why my brakes catch fire lol ;)

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
OMG 107 mph, that was crazy. He was extremely lucky to have survived that crash with only those injuries he could easily have been paralysed or killed.

• Agree

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks everyone for taking such an interest!

One of the many reasons why we chose the Fazua evation drive system is the special clutch that separates the motor and bottom bracket whenever exceeds the mandatory 15.5mph (25km/h) assistance limit. Uniquely when a rider pedals past this limit they can do so without feeling any resistance from the motor.

ATB David

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Thanks everyone for taking such an interest!

One of the many reasons why we chose the Fazua evation drive system is the special clutch that separates the motor and bottom bracket whenever exceeds the mandatory 15.5mph (25km/h) assistance limit. Uniquely when a rider pedals past this limit they can do so without feeling any resistance from the motor.

ATB David
but then you are carrying a motor and batt that is dead waight and slowing you down on a group ride you will be left in the dust.

remove the speed limit and see how far and fast it can go ?

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Uniquely when a rider pedals past this limit they can do so without feeling any resistance from the motor.
I must admit that sounds a very handy feature, I wish it was the same on my mountain bike, I can certainly feel the motor starting to drag when I'm going around 17 mph +, on flat roads. Don't notice it that much going down hill.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I must admit that sounds a very handy feature, I wish it was the same on my mountain bike, I can certainly feel the motor starting to drag when I'm going around 17 mph +, on flat roads. Don't notice it that much going down hill.
thats why i have a dongle them 15mph fkn things get in my way ;)

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
but then you are carrying a motor and batt that is dead waight and slowing you down on a group ride you will be left in the dust.
I don't think these bikes are aimed at riders that want to keep up with the local club chain gang, that's never going to happen unless you want to take the slight but never the less real risk of de restricting your bike.

I would love to be able to get out on a racing bike again but I live in a very hilly area and it would kill be to try and ride a racing bike up those hills. An electrical assist racing bike on the other hand would eat up those hills no problem I am sure.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
but how big is the batt ?cos eddie last year nuked a bosch 500w batt in ten miles of steep climbing tho it was up a mountain and the wrong one again this year pmsl ;)

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
but how big is the batt ?cos eddie last year nuked a bosch 500w batt in ten miles of steep climbing tho it was up a mountain and the wrong one again this year pmsl ;)
I think it 250Wh, but that should be fine, these bikes will never be used off road, probably the only time you would need to worry about running out of power is if your ridding up some of those long mountain passes on the continent. Although we have some very steep hills in this country we have nothing that goes on for many miles like they do over there.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well on the flat i get about 25 miles with a 500w batt so if the limit was removed its not going to go that far is it lol.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Can anyone who has a better knowledge of physics (that shouldn't be difficult to find) help me out here with the following.

Lets say I free wheeled down a fairly steep hill and recorded the max speed I achieved during the descent. Lets say I then placed several lead weights into pockets in my clothing, which now meant I was now say 10kg heavier but with no added wind resistance. Would I now achieve a higher max speed during the descent assuming I had pushed off on the bike with equal force as the first descent.
Interesting question NEV, like for like and same bike but different weight then momentum and gravity should mean the heavier laden bike is quicker.

On down hill section from Handcross to Bolney on a route I use my non electric gravel bike circa 13.5 -14kg loaded up is faster then my electric boardman 700c that is circa 28kg loaded up.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
No but the limit isn’t removed.

All the best, David
i really dont see what market you are going to sell these bikes to other than rich ppl.

the 15mph means you wont even be allowed to ride in my local bike club because you will be left for dust and the loops are 35-40 miles long.

4.5kg dead waight is alot esp for a road bike and given the 6k price and ur not a brand like haibike ect i cant see that you will sell many at all and have been worth the effort tbh.

now if it went 30mph for 80 miles now were talking but the batt tec is not there atm at a size waight and price that would fit.

it looks nice but its not fit for purpose what id want to use it for ie as a racing bike with no speed limit!

if you sent me one for free id send it back because id never use it,if i never had a dongle to remove the speed limit id have got rid of my bike long ago or not even bought it in the first place and not even joined this forum.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

and try that at 15mph :D
and make a ebike like this

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
For those asking the question there is a video on youtube of two Giant bikes, one electric the other not with similar fitness riders doing a circuit in the Alps. Pantani climbed the Alp at 37 km/h average, we are not Pantani. Even without the EPO he was a fast climber.

Potential uses:

1. cycle touring Tour de France stages in the mountains as an average Joe
2. the older rider who wasn't an average Joe when he was in his prime but who still wants to do the above
3. the pro or semi-pro who is recovering from an accident or other health issue
4. more good reasons including the snob appeal of adding such a bike to a stable of horribly expensive and under used road bikes (which dont have "Giant Road E" stickers on them)...

It is a niche market. All the brands want to be there for prestige.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Can anyone who has a better knowledge of physics (that shouldn't be difficult to find) help me out here with the following.

Lets say I free wheeled down a fairly steep hill and recorded the max speed I achieved during the descent. Lets say I then placed several lead weights into pockets in my clothing, which now meant I was now say 10kg heavier but with no added wind resistance. Would I now achieve a higher max speed during the descent assuming I had pushed off on the bike with equal force as the first descent.

I think intuitively on the second ride I will reach a higher max speed, if this is correct then does that mean with electrical assist bikes the lighter they are might mean you could actually end up being slower than a heavier bike when it comes to hills.

This is how I think this might be the case. Assume we have a big up and then down hill section and two racing bikes, one say 4 kg lighter than the other. On the way up each bike is ridden on max assist level and we go up at 15.5 mph assume we are not fit enough to ride up the hill un assisted.

On the way down the heavier bike will reach a higher max speed than the lighter one is my thinking correct here?
on the way down, the heavier bike + biker will have transformed more potential energy into kinetic energy. If it is the same biker and in same atmospheric condition, the heavier bike will win on the downhill leg.
On the uphill leg, the heavier bike needs more energy to climb, so the lighter bike will win.
to work out the difference when both legs are added together, if there is no air resistance, then there is no winner. That's what SW said.
Air resistance turns kinetic energy into wasted heat. Air resistance increases to speed to power 3 (speed * speed * speed), a lot more heat is wasted on the downhill leg than on the uphill leg.
It follows that the winner of the downhill leg is the heavier bike, will have wasted more energy into heat overall, he'll be the loser of the overall race.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk