The new best headlight

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
just cut up 2 strips of inner tube so it dont scratch the bars or use some tape ;)
A great tip is self amalgamating tape. I used it to protect the frame and handles, it only sticks to itself and provides a super soft grip surface.

Have ordered bracket, mine is in black!

Thanks

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
The dog's eyes are nearly as bright as the light. can't you use them instead and save on batteries?
Years ago ('85) we had a stealth labrador, matt black non-reflective finish. Taking her for off-leash walks on our local airfield she was utterly invisible. So I made a collar with two (what were then) high power yellow LEDs and a small battery pack. I could then see these two yellow streaks dashing all over the place. One night it was quite misty and as we were just about to leave, some other dog walkers were coming up the road. All they could see was the vague outline of a black body hurtling towards me with two brilliant yellow glowing "eyes" - they just freaked out (hound of the Baskervilles etc) until I showed them the big softy and her advanced technology navigation aid to aircraft and shipping.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Try one. I'd be surprised if you'd be disappointed with it - especially for £16.
Hi Dave, it seemed fairer to post the following in your thread rather than this one started by LP. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/look-what-the-postman-brought.25329/page-5#post-326953

When it comes to riding bikes there are three things that I really enjoy.. Riding in the rain, riding in mud, and riding at night time with a decent light.

I grabbed the opportunity tonight to do all three of those things, when I tried the light that you recommended.

I'll start by saying that because of cost, I never had any intention of comparing the Fenix BT20 that costs £60.00 plus, to the single Cree that cost me less than £10.00, and my expectations were not overly high.

If anyone is going to be critical, it is me, and I can truthfully say that the almost cheap as chips 1 Cree light is utterly brilliant. :)

I intentionally chose to test it on several local route sections that are fairly technical. As it was also raining and muddy, a further element was also suddenly thrown into the equation as well.

First observation after mounting it, was how pleasing to the eye that the light was size wise. The Fenix is by no means a large light, but the 1 Cree was proportionally alot smaller. I loathe cluttered handlebars, so instantly a big plus point. For reference I made the measurements for the light, to be 53mm long x 30mm wide x 40mm high, which is taking the measurement from the underside of the handle bar mount, to the top of the light. The power lead at approx 530mm long, is also a near on perfect length for my use.

Riding at sub 10mph speeds along the exceptionally very narrow 150mm - 300mm tracks on the forest rides, I could comfortably pick out any risk and see my way using the second from highest setting on the lamp.
Picking the pace up to an unknown speed that demanded full concentration to stay on line and on the bike, the highest power setting copped very easily, and gave a beam that wasn't as spot focussed as photos make out. The light also picked out the eyes of deer from a good several metres away.

Continuing the high speed test, I took in two road stone tracks which saw the speed increase to 32mph. Never did I feel that the light was preventing me from going faster, and I never felt that the beam wasn't wide enough.

Diving into very wooded and technical conditions, once again the light performed brilliantly, defining everything safely ahead and well into my peripheral vision. I couldn't have asked for more.

The only observation was the cool white brightness. I'm used to the dull yellowish light of the Fenix, and it took a bit of adjustment on my part to settle into the brighter light. I suspect that I am going to be using this new light rather a lot, although it won't replace the Fenix, as some of my riding takes place in some very sensitive areas, and the 1 Cree with it's brighter white light, could attract unwelcome attention. ;)

If I were to rate this light, I don't really see how I could ever give it anything less than a 10 out of 10. I don't see how anything so cheap, could perform so well. Long may it continue.

Here are two photos which don't do any justice to the light or it's beam. They were taken with just a point and shoot, and it wasn't quite dark enough at this stage of the ride. The green illuminated ring on the rear of the light, isn't actually that bright, so I can only assume that the cameras light sensor picked it up.

I can't wait to get the poxy camera and second light off the bars!

For it's price, the light does a very good job of defining the narrow track and edge.

The roots from the beech tree are easily visible, with no apparent nasty shadow.

Being used to the more yellow beam of the Fenix, I did feel slightly unco

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
but how long does the fake 18650 pack last ;)

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
If anyone is going to be critical, it is me, and I can truthfully say that the almost cheap as chips 1 Cree light is utterly brilliant. :)

If I were to rate this light, I don't really see how I could ever give it anything less than a 10 out of 10. I don't see how anything so cheap, could perform so well. Long may it continue.
Great informative review and pics, as usual Ed. :)

You're lucky enough to have straight enough bars to mount two good lights. I kind of like to see the green lit back of the lamp and the outer illuminated ring, especially in daytime, as it shows me that it's on.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
LP, that goes to show how we are all different, as I'm not a fan of the green ring etc. :)

but how long does the fake 18650 pack last ;)
If that is directed at me, the light as purchased did not come with a battery pack so I used my existing six cell pack which is now heading into it's third year of use, and given that I ride roughly 2,000 miles plus each year in darkness, that is currently over 4,000 miles of use for about £8.00

As said before, I ride in the worst of conditions, not hiding away when it gets wet and muddy, the packs that I use aren't sealed, and I just use and abuse the packs by letting them run down, charge them back up, often forgetting about them, and they have given complete trouble free use and show no sign of deterioration or wear. If I get a third season from them, that will be roughly 6,000 miles and three years of use. I can't see your set up matching that kind of performance.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they will charge for years but how long does the pack last charged to flat with the light on max.

will it last 6 hrs?

i also think the lcd light is as bright lol fkn thing has to go does my head in at night.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
they will charge for years but how long does the pack last charged to flat with the light on max.

will it last 6 hrs?
My 3 led bulb, allegedly 6600 lumens light last for over 2 hours. Time will tell more. I could turn it on in the garage and time it, but I'd fall asleep most likely. :)

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The ring isn't actually that bright, and is not really noticeable. It is just the light sensor on the camera picking it up.

As for the cells lasting six hours, I have no idea and don't really care. Three hours or so of riding at night three or four times a week, what ever the weather holds, is more than enough for me.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it will get hot if its not on the bike mind the light that is but with decent cells should be 3x that or more.

mine will still do around a hr on max but there still fake cells.

would you or eddie buy this?
http://www.roteccycles.co.uk/hope-r-series-4-cell-es-battery-74v-5200mah-7125-p.asp?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6am-BRCTk4WZhLfd4-oBEiQA3ydA3nUKZdipEDgQQH7MHzUpyp6wjuJzbvaQg1UtBWjBOukaAhWg8P8HAQ

5200ma x4 cells 1300ma each 7.4v output.

mine
13600ma x4 cells 3400ma each 8.4v output +5v 2000ma output usb £29.50

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Nah, I wouldn't buy it. I'm happy with these two behemoths that I have. :D

what eddie dont get is there the same cells in his bike battery so why would you use shite cells than real ones on a bike or a flash light?

or can you find me a ready made pack with the same cells me and phill have bought recommended by insat battery for cheaper as i have not found anything bar 2-3 times the price ready made.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Soundwave, I think you're getting a little confused regarding cell and pack capacity. A single cell can either be used to add extra voltage, or extra capacity, but not both.

The cells you link to are 2600mAh 3.7V cells arranged in a 2S2P configuration to give 5200mAh 7.4V in total.

Your cells are 3400mAh 3.7V each, but are 6800mAh in total when configured as 2S2P (also 7.4V).

To avoid confusion in the future, especially when comparing different numbers of cells or multiple pack configurations, you should use 'Watt hours' (V*Ah*number of cells) as a measure.

Last edited:

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Soundwave, I think you're getting a little confused regarding cell and pack capacity. A single cell can either be used to add extra voltage, or extra capacity, but not both.

The cells you link to are 2600mAh 3.7V cells arranged in a 2S2P configuration to give 5200mAh 7.4V in total.

Your cells are 3400mAh 3.7V each, but are 6800mAh in total when configured as 2S2P (also 7.4V).

To avoid confusion in the future, especially when comparing different numbers of cells or multiple pack configurations, you should use 'Watt hours' (V*Ah*number of cells) as a measure.
Batteries are always rated by their voltage and capacity in Ah, no one uses watts or Wh.

It is only in ebikes that I have seen watt hours used as the measurement for a battery capacity of a battery or pack.

Presumably the Germans thought it would be a good selling point, because a 400 watt battery pack sounds a lot more powerful than 11 Ah at 36 volts. Yet many bike suppliers still happily quote the capacity in Ah.

This is an ebike forum, so to make a slight mistake between adding up battery capacities and the associated voltage of the pack compared to another pack is easily done.

To then require a calculation of the batteries power output just for clarity is not for this forum.

• Informative

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Batteries are always rated by their voltage and capacity in Ah, no one uses watts or Wh.
Nonsense. It's the ONLY way you can compare packs of varying voltages and capacities. Also, don't confuse Watt hours with Watts. The first is a measurement of capacity, the second is a measure of power output.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Here you are on your electrical techniques high horse typical internet!

This bike has a 400 w battery this bike has a 500 w battery, we all know what they mean.

Go back to your electrical forum and show everyone there how smart you are, think you are the only person with electrical knowledge, stop trying to show people up.

Being pedantic about electrical principals in an ebike forum that's the great thing about the internet.

If you would like to show some pictures of batteries rated in their watt-hours, just like the one in your car, emergency lights or even remote control for the TV, no its voltage and Ah, no its voltage and Ah.