The T bike, Torq Radical project

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When I mentioned this project straight after the Q bike was released, there was a guessing game in the forum as to what I would do to the Torq. One guess of a smaller motor wheel was a possibility at that time, but later ruled out.

I hadn't intended to immediately complete this, but such was the interest that I decided to go ahead anyway. At the time of the first interest I said that what I intended couldn't be guessed as it was radical, and that's prove to be the case. And from that the T bike project took it's name, The Torq Radical. You may consider it extreme, but it won't blow anyone up, promise! :)

Here's the link.

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
Good for you Flecc! Again, I'm impressed by your skills, foresight and single-mindedness. A lifetime in the cycle industry will have helped too.;)
You are more than welcome to have a go at improving my Sprint if you run out of projects! heh heh

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Excellent stuff there Flecc, I can hear many voices calling for you to establish a modifications workshop ;). When you are taking bookings??

Would be great to see this beast in action at the rally next month?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Would be great to see this beast in action at the rally next month?
I did originally think of taking the Q bike, but once again it's a location without hills, so there's little point in taking either. It's when they get into the tough stuff that they show their worth.

Much of the Radical wouldn't be of value to someone in a flat area, other than the comfort issue of the front motor and low rolling resistance. Again it's on the hills, both up and down, that the real value shines through and it beats the opposition.

That's what I meant when I remarked it would be nice to have an event inside the M25 circle, but all we got was two in the flat centre of London!

Of course that neatly illustrates why I have to make these changes, standard products not being sufficiently up to climbing!

P.S. The usual offer applies though, anyone getting near to my area is welcome to ride them in conditions that they're designed for. :)

Last edited:

hobo1

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2007
Bingley, West Yorkshire.
Hi Flecc

If there was an internet award for the most gentlemanly forum technical advisor, I would like to see you up there with the contenders.

Brilliant, & you do it all in your kitchen!:eek:

All the best, David.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks very much for your kind comments, Pete, Russ and David.

The kitchen had to suffer the machining and fibeglass layup this time David, and the bedroom is still full of surplus bits awaiting a clearance. These seem to have a low priority when there's fun to be had riding. :)

It's forecast wet tomorrow so it can be tackled then.

hawkwind

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2007
Its good to look at your projects flecc, very interesting and its good of you to take so much time sharing your skills with us.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Well, I've only scrolled down one time on the first page for the first shock to appear! I just had to post something now: lateral thinking at its very best you might say! Thats impressive already! :D do I dare read on? ;) can't wait to read the rest, will post back later with my full impressions, if I'm not rendered speechless ;).

Stuart.

P.S. I must say, it looks very sleek/slick (?both!) with rear motor with very clean lines at the front looks even more classic :D.

Last edited:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Well done
fleccster i wish i had 1% of your talent your the man:D i really hope EZEE will take note of the changes you have made to both bikes and learn from them:) NIGEL

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Ingenious flecc, really! And I'd like to echo everyone's comments: it really is not just what you do but the way you do it too! A rare & highly valued combination of cleverness of design solutions, skill of execution, completeness of documentation & publication, and all arising from such a seemingly modest lifestyle & workshop :D ;). I need hardly say more :).

I was especially impressed at, after all that, your thoroughness at listing the main performance sources: a nice touch & very clear too!

The T bike, Torq Radical: the name fits :)

Stuart.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many thanks Hawkwind, Nigel and Stuart for your generous comments. I not only get the benefits of the finished projects, but the reward of this forum as well, riches indeed.

I thought you'd appreciate the clear listing of the performance sources Stuart, since I conceived that with you in mind, that being your special interest.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
flecc said:
...for your generous comments.
You're very welcome, as ever, and I'm sure I speak for more than myself :).

flecc said:
I thought you'd appreciate the clear listing of the performance sources Stuart, since I conceived that with you in mind, that being your special interest.
I thought as much! :D extremely helpful and clear, as I said: much appreciated flecc, thanks :) (also saved yourself much time & effort explaining ;)).

Stuart.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It wasn't really about saving time and effort Stuart, so much as it being better as an all-in-one grouping than in scattered bits in responses to different inquirers where it can be difficult for site visitors to put it all into context.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
flecc well done :D and
i need your help i have an old washing machine,iron bedstead,one 26in wheel one 18in wheel, 2 x12volt 85amp leisure batteries, a fixed wheel cog,and some gaffer tape can you please send plans on how to build an ebike.
not desperate today but i need to use it monday ;)
mike

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
:D you going into business mike? ;) hold on... I'm sure I saw a project webpage with, oddly enough, exactly those components... now, where was it?... :D ;)

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Very impressive Flecc, well done! Youve amazed and astounded and pushed the boundaries again. Thinking back to some of the bikes that promised much but never materialised in 2007, is this a case of '..out of the Torq, the Radical rises...' :)

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many thanks Mike, Django, Ian and John.

Mike, not until Monday? I think you're already half way there, it's just getting the darned sticky tape in the right place. Some of the US sites would be right up your street for their ingenuity with using the most unpromising materials.

Yes, Ian, I was extremely confident that no-one would guess the wheel swap, it seemed so unintuitive and outrageous, and the battery was a bit cheeky too. You'd love the T bike, it has a race machine feel the moment it's sat on, and as soon as it starts to roll there's not a shadow of doubt about it's purpose.

John, it's certainly a pity that there isn't more genuine variety in what's available instead of many firms offering the same thing over and over again. Yes, out of the Torq the Radical rises, but I just hope MI5 don't get the wrong idea about this seat of radicalism and raid Pedelecs! :eek: