The Wispers are coming!

BrizzleBoy

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2007
Bristol
Hi elephants

Have been giving my bike a little too much hammer over the weekend trying to get run the battery down so when riding in this morning the assistance and throttle were a little variable but red empty battery light has been on for some time now ......

Still managed to do 9.6 miles in 38 mins instead of best ever before of 45 mins so v happy.

Regarding the mudguards and rack - first I unscrewed the 2 screws on the plastic mudguard and removed it leaving the metal support in place. Then fitted the rack and then squeezed the mudguard in under the rack and put 2 screws back in. The cable ties came in handy to keep the mudguard off of the tyre underneath the rear reflector.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi brizzleboy have you tried your wisper on park street yet or some of the other steep hills in Bristol curios to know how you got on

jim

BrizzleBoy

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2007
Bristol
Not tried Park St yet but may give it a go one lunch time when I have a fully charged battery .

I am expecting it to be a struggle as I am 17 stone and it is a *&%$£ steep hill :D

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
how steep are these hills you guys are talking about ? Just trying to get an idea as to how wispers compare aginst Powabykes.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi not sure exactly but could be 1 in 6 but dificult to even walk up in parts maybe brizzleboy would have better idea than me as its a few years since i lived in bristol

jim

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
Are my gears badly adjusted, or are the Tourney dérailleurs not up the job of engaging the huge 34 tooth low gear? Any ideas anyone?
Just to answer my own question, I've spent my lunch time out with my spanners and allen keys and sorted out my gears. Turns out the Tourney dérailleurs are fine, but the gear cable wasn't tight enough. Doh!

It seems I came into work this morning missing my 2 lowest gears (which might explain my failure to gracefully ascend a 1 in 7 hill!). Everything is fine now and I have gears coming out of my ears.

hi brizzleboy have you tried your wisper on park street yet or some of the other steep hills in Bristol curios to know how you got on
I used to live in Bristol as a student and I remember Park Street being a pain even on foot (especially when you're full of cheap lager and its 3AM :eek:).

I've been mucking about with http://www.toporoute.com/routePlanner.html. Assuming this web site is giving the correct results (and assuming my calculations are correct too!!) the steepest part of Park Street is a section 0.05 miles long (thats 264 ft) that rises from an elevation 75 ft to 135 ft (60ft in total). So that gives 60/264 = 0.23 or pretty much 1 in 4. I think I'd get off and walk (maybe even catch a bus)!

Best divert BrizzleBoy up there on his way home just to check though ;).

Regards,

Elephants

Last edited:

BrizzleBoy

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2007
Bristol
Elephants

Good job I didnt take your advice yesterday - battery gave up the ghost on the way home.... May try it this lunchtime

A fully charged battery got me to work this morning in 32 mins - a full 13 minutes quicker than my old steed ever managed with a following wind etc. Distance is 9.2 miles not 9.6 but still I am very happy to be averaging 17.25 mph:D

BrizzleBoy

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2007
Bristol

jim
Hi jac

Just tried Jacobs Wells road and sailed up it so decided to try Park St.

Didnt have my computer on but felt like 10mph all the way up and no lower than 2nd gear. Not out of breath. And thats with 108kilos on board.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi that sounds quite impresive getting up there at a reasonable speed

jim

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
wispeer 905

No problem David - with cable tie or 2 I have been able to fit mudguard with rack in place.

36 hours in I am absolutely delighted as my concerns regarding how the bike would deal with my petite frame of 6ft 3 and 17 st have been dispelled - will post a detailed report after a few weeks commuting. Have already annoyed a chap on a racing bike :D

Did all these measuring gadgets come with the bike? what are they for? What model of the wisper 905 is it? what are the green and red buttons for?
Poppy.

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
Did all these measuring gadgets come with the bike? what are they for? What model of the wisper 905 is it? what are the green and red buttons for?
Poppy.
This is a 905SE City S (i.e. a 905SE Sport with rack/lights)

The controls on the handlebars from left to right are:
  • Green button: De-restricted mode on/off (a.k.a. Off-road mode, a.k.a. illegal fast mode) - only actually does anything when the throttle is used. Should push the top speed from 15mph to around 19mph on the flat
  • Rear brake lever (included as standard :D)
  • Bell (included as standard)
  • Solar Front Light (included with "905 City S")
  • Wireless speedo (included as standard)
  • Shimano 7-speed Gear Shifter (included as standard)
  • Front brake lever (included as standard)
  • Red button: Power on/off (Green/Amber/Red lights above the switch indicate the battery status)
  • Twist-grip throttle
Regards,

Elephants

Last edited:

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
This is a 905SE City S (i.e. a 905SE Sport with rack/lights)

The controls on the handlebars from left to right are:
  • Green button: De-restricted mode on/off (a.k.a. Off-road mode, a.k.a. illegal fast mode) - only actually does anything when the throttle is used. Should push to top speed from 15mph to around 19mph on the flat
  • Rear brake lever (included as standard :D)
  • Bell (included as standard)
  • Solar Front Light (included with "905 City S")
  • Wireless speedo (included as standard)
  • Shimano 7-speed Gear Shifter (included as standard)
  • Front brake lever (included as standard)
  • Red button: Power on/off (Green/Amber/Red lights above the switch indicate the battery status)
Regards,

Elephants
Thanks. And the speedo, besides speed, what else does it measure?The restricted/ derestricted thingy: I take it that the throttle has to be twisted and, if pedalling it adds help., and more so when drestricted?

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
Thanks. And the speedo, besides speed, what else does it measure?The restricted/ derestricted thingy: I take it that the throttle has to be twisted and, if pedalling it adds help., and more so when drestricted?
The speedo tracks:
  • Current Speed
  • Average Speed (for the current journey)
  • Max Speed (for the current journey)
  • Distance (for the current journey)
  • Journey Time (for the current journey)
  • Total Distance (for all journeys)
  • Temperature
  • Time
No, you don't need to twist the throttle. Turn on the bike, start pedalling, and the motor joins in.
You can twist the throttle while pedalling to give more assistance, or you can twist the throttle without pedalling to get the moped effect.
The de-restriction button only works with the throttle; you can pedal or not as you like.

The photos were posted by BrizzleBoy, not me, but FYI, I'm 5'9", with an inside leg of 32". I find the bike big, but manageable.

Regards,

Elephants

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Just to answer my own question, I've spent my lunch time out with my spanners and allen keys and sorted out my gears. Turns out the Tourney dérailleurs are fine, but the gear cable wasn't tight enough. Doh!

It seems I came into work this morning missing my 2 lowest gears (which might explain my failure to gracefully ascend a 1 in 7 hill!). Everything is fine now and I have gears coming out of my ears.

I used to live in Bristol as a student and I remember Park Street being a pain even on foot (especially when you're full of cheap lager and its 3AM :eek:).

I've been mucking about with http://www.toporoute.com/routePlanner.html. Assuming this web site is giving the correct results (and assuming my calculations are correct too!!) the steepest part of Park Street is a section 0.05 miles long (thats 264 ft) that rises from an elevation 75 ft to 135 ft (60ft in total). So that gives 60/264 = 0.23 or pretty much 1 in 4. I think I'd get off and walk (maybe even catch a bus)!

Best divert BrizzleBoy up there on his way home just to check though ;).

Regards,

Elephants
Hey guys, Bristol Boy mesself..Park St is a doddle no way 1 in 4.
St Michaels Hill gets a bit steep near the top.
Summer Hill at totterdown is a true 1 in 3.Jes** that's a hill I used to check out the clutch of any old car I bought.
I've seen the seller go white at all the clutch smoke on that one.....

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
The speedo tracks:
  • Current Speed
  • Average Speed (for the current journey)
  • Max Speed (for the current journey)
  • Distance (for the current journey)
  • Journey Time (for the current journey)
  • Total Distance (for all journeys)
  • Temperature
  • Time
No, you don't need to twist the throttle. Turn on the bike, start pedalling, and the motor joins in.
You can twist the throttle while pedalling to give more assistance, or you can twist the throttle without pedalling to get the moped effect.
The de-restriction button only works with the throttle; you can pedal or not as you like.

The photos were posted by BrizzleBoy, not me, but FYI, I'm 5'9", with an inside leg of 32". I find the bike big, but manageable.

Regards,

Elephants
So it is as I thought: If you desrestrict and twist the throttle you increase the power/assistance either when pedalling or cruising with motor alone? Is it noticeable this derestricted function uphill and pedalling?
With my ebike you don´t notice the effect of the throttle pedalling uphill but you DO notice when you let go of it-it drags you down in such a way that it´s best not to apply the throttle when pedalling uphill.
Have you experienced any stuttering or stalling or outright cutouts of the motor in the middle of a long medium hill?

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Hi Poppy
I have a Wisper 905se. The derestrict button has a surprising effect when used whilst pedalling along on the throttle. It gives a very noticeable amount more assistance than when not used - possibly because the assistance is available for up to 4 or 5 mph more. On the flat into a head wind, or on long moderate inclines this is very effective. I can ride a gear higher on a long slope than I could in standard mode, with a consequent considerable improvement in journey time (and some reduction in battery range, but not as massive as you might think). On very steep hills, where you are down in the lower gears you can't feel any difference, and might as well stay in pedelec only mode.
I have not had problems with stalls, or cutouts at all on long medium hills, even with my 15st. frame! On very steep climbs in the lowest gears, you do occaisionally get some motor stutter, but not generally severe, nor enough to cause significant problems, although it can occaisionally be mildly irritating.
cheers, Phil