The Wispers are coming!

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
I have a Wisper 905se. The derestrict button has a surprising effect when used whilst pedalling along on the throttle. It gives a very noticeable amount more assistance than when not used

Hmm bit like the Aggatu really...

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
I have a Wisper 905se. The derestrict button has a surprising effect when used whilst pedalling along on the throttle. It gives a very noticeable amount more assistance than when not used

Hmm bit like the Aggatu really...
This increase of assistance is it noticed on the hills too? Significant discharging of the battery if you ride this way? No dragging effect when letting go of the throttle? Accuracy of the battery gauge?
Poppy.

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
Hi Poppy
I have a Wisper 905se. The derestrict button has a surprising effect when used whilst pedalling along on the throttle. It gives a very noticeable amount more assistance than when not used - possibly because the assistance is available for up to 4 or 5 mph more. On the flat into a head wind, or on long moderate inclines this is very effective. I can ride a gear higher on a long slope than I could in standard mode, with a consequent considerable improvement in journey time (and some reduction in battery range, but not as massive as you might think). On very steep hills, where you are down in the lower gears you can't feel any difference, and might as well stay in pedelec only mode.
I have not had problems with stalls, or cutouts at all on long medium hills, even with my 15st. frame! On very steep climbs in the lowest gears, you do occaisionally get some motor stutter, but not generally severe, nor enough to cause significant problems, although it can occaisionally be mildly irritating.
cheers, Phil
Why the stutter on the steep hills? Weren´t you afraid that the motor/battery would give up on you? How can this minor problem be solved? Any explanation for all of this from Wisper?

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Did all these measuring gadgets come with the bike? what are they for? What model of the wisper 905 is it? what are the green and red buttons for?
Poppy.
I too use the sports mud guards with the rack and it is not a problem to have the bike this way and you have the best of both worlds :)
Does the new SE not have front disc brakes?
Mandy

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
905se

Hi Mandy

To answer your question .... no, it has caliper brakes.

And yes Elephants the City S simply a Sport with full mudguards and a rack.

Best regards David

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Hi Poppy,
I don't know why I get the occaisional stutter on steep hills in pedelec mode. All I can say is that it is very minor in nature and not a significant problem at all. These hills are in the middle of my route, and there has never been the slightest hint of the motor actually 'giving up' on them. As a consequence I have never bothered to follow it up. If it ever gets worse, I've got plenty of warranty time left to get it attended to.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi Mandy

To answer your question .... no, it has caliper brakes.

And yes Elephants the City S simply a Sport with full mudguards and a rack.

Best regards David
Thanks David
I guess I didn't do my homework on the new model as busy enjoying the old :D
Regards
mandy

seeker

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2008
Hi David,
I apologise if I'm being dim,:confused: but the 905se Sport I tried on saturday had a front disc brake which was one of the features I liked and what made me order. Stuart on 2 occasions to me and my partner described the merits of the disc brake. Are you saying the new Sports arriving at the end of the month will not have front disc brakes?:eek:

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
Hi David,
I apologise if I'm being dim,:confused: but the 905se Sport I tried on saturday had a front disc brake which was one of the features I liked and what made me order. Stuart on 2 occasions to me and my partner described the merits of the disc brake. Are you saying the new Sports arriving at the end of the month will not have front disc brakes?:eek:
David recently posted this in another thread (Wisper 905SE Brakes):
...We have upgraded the whole braking system on the latest models...
I suspect that the front disk brake has been replaced as part of their upgrade to the braking system.

Regards,

Elephants

seeker

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2008
I suspect that the front disk brake has been replaced as part of their upgrade to the braking system.

Regards,

Elephants
Hi Elephants,

I got on the phone to Stuart at Wisper Southampton, and he confirms that top of the range 905 sport that I ordered does indeed come with the front disc brake.:cool:

Howard

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2008
My understanding is that the Sport and City are the same apart from the following:
1: Sport has sport mudguards, City has full mudguards.
2: Sport has front disc brake, City has front cantilever

A lot of people (myself included!) are not patient enough to wait for a City bike to become available, and so opt for the Sport version but fit it with full mudguards. This has become quite a common practise, so has become another version of the 905se in its own right - the Sport version fitted with full mudguards. So, this bike looks like a 905se City, but has the bonus of having a front disc brake. I think this is a source of a lot of the confusion, as a lot of people call this version of the 905se a City because that's what it looks like!

Don't know if I've helped, or just added to the confusion :confused:
Cheers,
Howard

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
My understanding is that the Sport and City are the same apart from the following:
1: Sport has sport mudguards, City has full mudguards.
2: Sport has front disc brake, City has front cantilever

A lot of people (myself included!) are not patient enough to wait for a City bike to become available, and so opt for the Sport version but fit it with full mudguards. This has become quite a common practise, so has become another version of the 905se in its own right - the Sport version fitted with full mudguards. So, this bike looks like a 905se City, but has the bonus of having a front disc brake. I think this is a source of a lot of the confusion, as a lot of people call this version of the 905se a City because that's what it looks like!

Don't know if I've helped, or just added to the confusion :confused:
Cheers,
Howard
Howard,

You're quite right.

Looking at the spec sheet I got hold of in March (which might have changed by now of course), the different models sport the following front brakes:
  • 905 Eco - Caliper
  • 905 SE City - Caliper
  • 905 SE Sport - Disk
  • 905 SE City S (essentially a Sport with rack/mudguards) - Disk
So, the 905 SE can either have disk or caliper brakes - depends whether its a Sport, a City, or a City S.

Regards,

Elephants

Last edited:

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
What it comes down to is that you get what you get (I get the impression that Wisper don't even know exactly what the spec. will be untill they open the container). I am expecting mine to have sports guards, disc brake (hence no hub dynamo) and a carrier.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Quite simple really

Looking at the spec sheet I got hold of in March (which might have changed by now of course), the different models sport the following front brakes:
  • 905 Eco - Caliper
  • 905 SE City - Caliper
  • 905 SE Sport - Disk
  • 905 SE City S (essentially a Sport with rack/mudguards) - Disk
So, the 905 SE can either have disk or caliper brakes - depends whether its a Sport, a City, or a City S.

Regards,

Elephants
Absolutely spot on. Cheers Elephants!

Best regards David

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Wheres the spoon ....

And the ECO has .... does anyone have an ECO? Do they exist?

Griswold

Pedelecer
May 17, 2007
905SE arrival date

Hello,

Any news on the expected arrival of the SE Sports? - I gather the ship is arriving soon?

Many thanks

Kind Regards

Griswold