Think i might need talking down..

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Interesting bike. Though I'll bet that weighs a fair bit lol

Have to say though I think your 'ammo box' rear panniers are a bit clunky looking. Perhaps some sort of matching brown leather saddle bags type of thing might suit better.
Yes it’s huge and heavy. Can’t really peddle it properly. I ghost peddle and let the motor do all the work. It’s why I can only get 20 miles of range out of it. But that is mostly flat out at 30 amps. Which is why I’m building a moped.

Leather panniers you say. Like these ones? They came with the bike, but were rotten and the strap broke on one of them , so I lobbed the ammo boxes on to add even more weight to the thing.DAD9BFA6-3869-4225-8D77-750E51990F47.jpeg

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I was thinking more this kind of thing. Normally found on the 4r5e end of a horse.
51wSU60gvOL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
3 attempts to buy a 12 to 6v voltage converters from ebay resulted in receiving the same 4.2v devices?? 3 different sellers.... or are they? or has the manufacturer sent out batches in error, ive checked the output from all 3 devices clearly labled 4v2 and each has a 4.2v output...

So i ordered a UBEC as suggested, and ive been waiting, and waiting,,, Well Did i order one? seems NOT AARRGGHH!!!!!! wtf?? I must have been distracted before the final click?? I was sure it was on order..

the diy lights for the rear are now attached to a box, and its all just waiting for the last element to arrive..

4.2v is a pretty useless dc voltage to me and i accepted partial (majority) refund to avid sending back hassle/costs i could try 2x in series to give 8.4v for non brake lighting?? or could i ?? hi ho its off to google i go...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:
Reactions: thelarkbox

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
nice price, but 1.5a max Im going to have to count leds again but iirc the 3a of the other modules was just about enough with a comfortable overhead..

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
nice price, but 1.5a max Im going to have to count leds again but iirc the 3a of the other modules was just about enough with a comfortable overhead..
Your lights must be brighter than they look in photos. Have you measured amps?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20231122_221146[1].jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
was for my diy bike lights and cant remember as used another display.

cant have all that crap on my bike as will fall to bits but gave it a go anyway ;)

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
cant have all that crap on my bike
If I do decide to fit indicators, I'm going to try to stuff all the crap into this... replacing the pallet wood on the rear rack which my battery presently sits on. 40mm rectangular section, also because the battery will then be situated further forward (it's a strange Dahon rack), moving the bike's C.O.G. closer to the C.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Your lights must be brighter than they look in photos. Have you measured amps?
Naw, just a mental back of a ciggy packet calculation based on the proportion of the 60w 5m length of led strip used eating 5a @12v using 1a per meter as the comfortable guideline, ( granted @6v it would be closer to 500ma per m actual consumption but healthy overhead ;) and ive only posted day time pics..

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Naw, just a mental back of a ciggy packet calculation based on the proportion of the 60w 5m length of led strip used eating 5a @12v using 1a per meter as the comfortable guideline, ( granted @6v it would be closer to 500ma per m actual consumption but healthy overhead ;) and ive only posted day time pics..
This arrived a few minutes ago - tested it and it works with just a switch connected, switches a 12V light (supplied by a 12V power brick) on and off, no triggering voltage required. I'll have to wait till my new multimeter arrives to see if it can cope with turning parallel 48V LED panels on and off... until then I have no idea what voltage my cheap variable voltage power supply + adjustable step up converter is outputting. One AliExpress seller said he's out of stock of the ultra cheap "6000 counts" multimeter I ordered and I should cancel, the other was dispatched and is being processed by UK customs.

Handily, it's small.

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Fwiw a cheap meter i use. (EDIT NOT THE SAME METER, mine is #AN8001), but very similar, sorry.. I cant comment on quality or reliability as im not qualified even to open the box, but its a nice easy to use meter which does all i usually need one for.. And battery life is pretty good.

Must admit i didnt even consider pwm brightness limiting, should i go looking for a 55% duty cycle circuit?? hmmm , a quick google seems to suggest i can employ a couple of dc/dc converters in series to double the voltage output, So @8.4v my backlight could be upto 40% ish brigher too when compared to when driven by 6v. Without any other use for the 4.2v converters I may as well give it a go ;) lets conjure magic smoke??

which means its only the weather stopping me from hacking my battery sled/controller to take off the battery input.. yeah.. ;)

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
How's your indicator project coming along?

The newer AN8008 has a pulse generator, which never measure over 4V (according to the Neoteck DVM). Could be useful, but I also ordered this which arrived the other day - 100Hz is it's lowest setting, the AN8008 starts at 50Hz. I'm more interested in lowering temperatures than reducing brightness.

A cheap AliExpress oscilloscope tempted me.

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
How's your indicator project coming along?

The newer AN8008 has a pulse generator, which never measure over 4V (according to the Neoteck DVM). Could be useful, but I also ordered this which arrived the other day - 100Hz is it's lowest setting, the AN8008 starts at 50Hz. I'm more interested in lowering temperatures than reducing brightness.

A cheap AliExpress oscilloscope tempted me.
Most of the bits are in place, Just the white front light bars to fabricate, but i have worked out the how to so its easy now. everything works as expected when wired upto individual aspects
Im stalled by the prospect of taking a safe power connection from my controller/battery mount, ive just watched youtubes and looked at forum post pics of similar controllers and the size/mass of the solderblobs i will be attempting to fuse into look beyond my little soldering irons capacity, and am considering buying a few 18650 cells for a diy 12v ish lighting battery pack i can recharge as single cells 2 at a time .. The cold is also a huge deterrent both for garage based projects and taking the bike out .

I have a Chinese 200w iron stashed somewhere, its a huge copper chisel of a tool It was too scary to even attempt tinning It was priced silly when you could spend an evening shopping at a chinese portal site and blow less than £30 on a c artful of 'toys'. When i uncover it and buy some triple thick marigold gloves we may see movement again..

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have a Chinese 200w iron stashed somewhere, its a huge copper chisel of a tool It was too scary to even attempt tinning It was priced silly when you could spend an evening shopping at a chinese portal site and blow less than £30 on a c artful of 'toys'. When i uncover it and buy some triple thick marigold gloves we may see movement again..
If you can't find it, this 100W cheapo is brilliant, £9.99 from my local hardware shop. Soldered battery to controller real easy.

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Thanks for the link, Ive not gone iron hunting yet, when i do and should i fail its good to have a fall back option , there is also the ' if it aint bust - dont fix it' factor aiding my reticence to get stuck in with numb fingers in the cold garage..

A second lights only battery not only stops the lights from draining potential miles from the main battery, but would allow me to complete fabrication and testing in the warm and only need to undergo the winter conditions to fit the finished items with cable ties.