Throttle question - again!

homemoz

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2007
UK
I have pre-ordered the Swytch kit - choice was between that or the Rubbee. Rubbee was very tempting but maybe not so good for my needs as a mainly recreational cyclist. Anyway, Swytch are now offering a discount throttle on pre-orders. My question is whether someone can give a definitive answer whether the throttle would legal in the UK with the 2018 Swytch kit fitted to a pre 2016 (approx late 1980's so no cause of ambiguity there). I've read all the pedelecs posts on throttles and other comments but am still no clearer. I prefer the old fashioned throttle set up to a pedelec, so a simple throttle set up would be my ideal choice if legal on UK roads.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If, as I suspect, the Swytch kit is being fitted to an old ordinary bike, it will be illegal to have a throttle. That's because you will be creating a new pedelec, regardless of it having old constituents.

If the Swytch kit is replacing an existing motor system on an early e-bike, you could regard it as a repair by replacement parts. If that original e-bike had a throttle, having a throttle again would be legal. If it didn't originally have a throttle we'd be in a sticky area of law which would have to be argued in a senior court to determine the spirit of the law for a resolution. I'm quite confident that resolution would rule out a throttle in the latter circumstance.

raymee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 12, 2015
Have you or are you being asked to pay in advance for the Swytch kit ??

homemoz

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2007
UK
If, as I suspect, the Swytch kit is being fitted to an old ordinary bike, it will be illegal to have a throttle. That's because you will be creating a new pedelec, regardless of it having old constituents.

If the Swytch kit is replacing an existing motor system on an early e-bike, you could regard it as a repair by replacement parts. If that original e-bike had a throttle, having a throttle again would be legal. If it didn't originally have a throttle we'd be in a sticky area of law which would have to be argued in a senior court to determine the spirit of the law for a resolution. I'm quite confident that resolution would rule out a throttle in the latter circumstance.
Thanks Flecc. I guess I thought that would be the case but wanted to be sure.