Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ebay owns paypal lol but his bird said it had to go pmsl

• :D
Reactions: guerney

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ebay bought paypal from elon musk long ago yet they own both of them same as alphabet owns YouTube and google.

on ebay i can pay for stuff with paypal but if i sell i must use a 3rd party company like wtf and not sold anything since they did that as have to fork out postage when it can take days to get it in my account so they can fook right off.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
on ebay i can pay for stuff with paypal but if i sell i must use a 3rd party company like wtf and not sold anything since they did that as have to fork out postage when it can take days to get it in my account so they can fook right off.
You can sell anything using a free Paypal business account - log in and email buyers an invoice. Payments appear in my Paypal account straightaway, transfers to my bank account instantly. Just remember Paypal does tend to side with the buyer in a dispute.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Opening up access by providing an API will help big ebay sellers integrate sales data with accounting systems. It's increasingly common for such companies to hold funds for arbitrary lengths of time, where it earns interest for them, or they can invest your money for awhile before they let you have it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A escooter in the design of an 8 freight, that could work.
A small platform to hold a basket, which flips out forward is a possibility - it could flip up when not needed to serve as a bumper, if the underside had a thick layer of shock absorbing material glued on. E-scooters are currently illegal anyway - so fit training wheel style stabilisers either side? Magnetic soles to keep feet connected, but not too connected when going over bumps?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
And there is an Italian nice little longtail as well.
The Italian offering of the Justlong from Bicicapace isn't too bad with very low CofG.
Looks great! But still not as low as an 8freight obvs. It's mad that nobody is making 8freight-like cargo bikes! Crowdfunding is an option for enterprising, intelligent, imaginative, good looking and forward thinking bike manufacturers, looking for a relatively low risk way to bring a product in the 8freight form factor to market, if they're unsure that a demand for such a cargo bike exists beyond just me and Nealh.

Justlong

8freight

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There is an Austrian e 8 freight type clone (made by Maderna) with just a larger rear flat low platform and an integrated pannier rack over the rear wheel and suspension but the design adds at least 8kg to the overall weight.

The main reason for MB ceasing the 8 freight after 100 builds was the supply of parts dried up, the rear 90mm XSD sturmey drum hub brakes dried up and believe production ceased.
For such a bike it was super light at 20kg compared with others we see.

Mike has said he has many bikes to choose from for his every day transport, lighter bikes, smaller bikes, faster bikes but says of all the bikes he designed and built this is the most pleasurable and satisfying bike to ride .

8 freight .com in Taiwan took over the rights to build them on mass but also ceased building them I believe also due to the Sturmey problem of production.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Ludicrous expensive bikes to do a bit of shopping or carrying a few lbs of stuff about when most use will be occasional for most.
A long tail will be a bit cheaper and a trailer considerably cheaper and easily stored.

With kona and trek no longer building long tails one has a couple of options still from Yuba and the expensive Surly. And there is an Italian nice little longtail as well.
The Italian offering of the Justlong from Bicicapace isn't too bad with very low CofG.

The Tern I haven't mentioned but don't trust then with a barge pole.

As Andy says one needs to think about storage access for these over size or longer bikes, for some they are or would be an ideal option to ditch the car. Going fwd's car ownership is going to become very expensive and for a lot of people unaffordable.
What's wrong with Tern? I have one and find it's fine and can compare with the 3 R&M I have had. Have I missed something?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tern had a a few frames snap at the hinge on various bike types a few years ago, but expect they may have sorted the issues out now. Then I did see a pic gsd also with a bosch drive that also suffered a frame brake.

I was nearly tempted by tern node d8 from tredz but decided against it.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Croxden and guerney

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
There is an Austrian e 8 freight type clone (made by Maderna) with just a larger rear flat low platform and an integrated pannier rack over the rear wheel and suspension but the design adds at least 8kg to the overall weight.

View attachment 46860

The main reason for MB ceasing the 8 freight after 100 builds was the supply of parts dried up, the rear 90mm XSD sturmey drum hub brakes dried up and believe production ceased.
For such a bike it was super light at 20kg compared with others we see.

Mike has said he has many bikes to choose from for his every day transport, lighter bikes, smaller bikes, faster bikes but says of all the bikes he designed and built this is the most pleasurable and satisfying bike to ride .

8 freight .com in Taiwan took over the rights to build them on mass but also ceased building them I believe also due to the Sturmey problem of production.
That is a good looking design, with the main tube going lower than BB for low c of g.

The penny finally dropped as to why a discontinued hub stopped production: it was a one sided hub to allow clever and easy wheel mounting / removal. Got there in the end!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It looks cute but is too heavy and unlike the 8freight, one couldn't transport a long flat object such as a door safely, without damaging the door. Also it's 200kg weight limit including rider is disappointing. Weighing just 20kg, able to carry 100kg cargo, lower C of G, strong wheels etc... the 8freight is amazing.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Can't disagree, the 8 freight is just a better looking bike.
The other nice feature of the one sided sturmy hub was the press button QR to remove the wheel.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Can't disagree, the 8 freight is just a better looking bike.
The other nice feature of the one sided sturmy hub was the press button QR to remove the wheel.
A titanium framed 8freight clone would be even lighter, titanium flex means no added suspension is necessary. One couldn't easily or safely carry a door with this either, but it's 8kg frame is very impresively light, 17.8kg in total. Shame about the mudguards, but getting them installed shouldn't add too much to the 8800€ price. I'll cancel my order for a dozen R&Ms, and and buy these bargains instead. Better still, I'll pay this chap to make me a custom titanium 8freight. I don't need both kidneys, or use my house much,

This one's even cheaper, but I'd demand a volume discount

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Trailers...

There is is a Carryfreedom on a certain site just now.
I have just managed to buy one on ebay for £90! The seller unexpectedly accepted my quite silly low offer, for a small Y Carry Freedom trailer. It's got the old style all-metal hitch and looks in good condition, but it was hard to tell because there weren't many photos. Now all I've got to do is collect it by train... If it looks bad, I'll just request a refund from ebay of course. Must say, I'm quite looking forward to trying out this 6.4kg trailer with a 50kg cargo. I've been bidding far higher for months and failing. Suddenly I'm a two trailer household - the other being the steel 15.4kg Homcom.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Trailers...

There is is a Carryfreedom on a certain site just now.
Thanks for pointing that one out @matthewslack - I have been regularly checking for Carry Freedom trailers ever since @Nealh pointed out how good they are, but had been checking less often because I had bought a Homcom for a compost transport emergency, and resolved to buy a CF if necessary in winter, when prices are generally lower. I made out that it wasn't possible for me to collect, because I didn't want it suddenly bidded on lol ;)

It looks in decent condition. No rubber wheel caps - not sure how important those are. It looks just the thing for transporting bags of compost, compost makers, large water butts, garden incinerators, photography lighting, or many baked bean cans for cheap AirBnB ebike trailer holidays - I'll be charging every 45 miles or so, at cheap AirBnBs, because I don't have your marvellous solar charging setup. Some cheap AirBnBs are so cheap, it makes me wonder what horrors await... which reminds me: Must get a hidden camera detector.

On my 20" wheeled bike, the platform will be horizontal. Now I'm wondering what bolts are required to secure a big, waterproof, lockable box to that platform.

The seller wants a train station meet and handover of this wonderous trailer... I have failed (so far) to talk him into driving 60 miles (in total) to deliver it for petrol money.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Thanks for pointing that one out @matthewslack - I have been regularly checking for Carry Freedom trailers ever since @Nealh pointed out how good they are, but had been checking less often because I had bought a Homcom for a compost transport emergency, and resolved to buy a CF if necessary in winter, when prices are generally lower. I made out that it wasn't possible for me to collect, because I didn't want it suddenly bidded on lol ;)

It looks in decent condition. No rubber wheel caps - not sure how important those are. It looks just the thing for transporting bags of compost, compost makers, large water butts, garden incinerators, photography lighting, or many baked bean cans for cheap AirBnB ebike trailer holidays - I'll be charging every 45 miles or so, at cheap AirBnBs, because I don't have your marvellous solar charging setup. Some cheap AirBnBs are so cheap, it makes me wonder what horrors await... which reminds me: Must get a hidden camera detector.

On my 20" wheeled bike, the platform will be horizontal. Now I'm wondering what bolts are required to secure a big, waterproof, lockable box to that platform.

The seller wants a train station meet and handover of this wonderous trailer... I have failed (so far) to talk him into driving 60 miles (in total) to deliver it for petrol money.

Finally found this post again! So much thread weaving I got quite lost.

I have considered making a lightweight box from leftovers of twinwall conservatory roofing material, specifically the 10mm thick. Light per square metre and the thickness gives it stiffness. Corners joined with aluminium angle, possibly inside and out, and small bolts or self tappers, and fragments of pond liner trimmings as a gasket.

Limited weatherproofness, but not bad. Lid hinges open, and could be made easily removable.

Ths beauty of the Carryfreedom is that you can make a new base to change the size, and just transfer hitch and axle. So for your tour you could make a base and box big enough to use guess what? One solar panel as a lid, and there you have a solar range extender! Your 45 mile days might become 60 or more, subject to knees of course.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ths beauty of the Carryfreedom is that you can make a new base to change the size, and just transfer hitch and axle. So for your tour you could make a base and box big enough to use guess what? One solar panel as a lid, and there you have a solar range extender! Your 45 mile days might become 60 or more, subject to knees of course.
A carry freedom got sold for over £200, the day before I saw the one you pointed out. I collected my £90 Carry Freedom (small Y) yesterday - here are pics and blurb of my ebay collection on this thread, where we are trying to get Windows 10 to install java or edit the path:

At this rate, this forum will be teeming with solar trailers lol. In preparation of the possibility of tumbling down the solar poweerd rabbit hole, I might bring forward my plan to buy a second battery... but also for 90 mile range, because in remote areas there may not be cheap AirBnBs closely clustered together. It's very annoying that camp sites cost more than many cheap AirBnBs! I mean... for £15 (sometimes) a night, you get a secure and (presumably) rainproof space with at least one power socket.

I have considered making a lightweight box from leftovers of twinwall conservatory roofing material, specifically the 10mm thick. Light per square metre and the thickness gives it stiffness. Corners joined with aluminium angle, possibly inside and out, and small bolts or self tappers, and fragments of pond liner trimmings as a gasket.

Limited weatherproofness, but not bad. Lid hinges open, and could be made easily removable.
Sounds a good material to work with. Double aluminium angle might be more robust long term? There's a lot of rock n roll on paths! Pond liner would be better than using tyre inner tube as gaskets, as that might be too thin. I was considering making a lockable box with a hinged lid, for my pannier mounted battery, using that cheap thin and light-ish aluminium sheet they used to use to cover fireplaces with, with aluminium right angle snap riveted on, using tyre inner tube as gaskets. Pond lining sounds better, as there are many thicknesses available.

Last edited: