Trek Cytronex - First Impressions.

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Thanks Chris. That one excludes the CRV. I have purchased a pair of halfords roof racks for the time being as I already have the bars. ideally though want to get them on the back asap.

There are some that attach to the spare wheel itself, not sure that the wheel fitting is designed for the extra weight though, probably a bit too risky. That leaves a tow bar mounted one that kicks out 5-6 inches first to miss the wheel.

Steve

sopht

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2008
So, anybody with certifiably lousy cycling proficiency bought the Cytronex yet? Oh dear:D

Conceptually, this ticks all my boxes, and I think this will really take off. I kept looking at the designs of e-bikes with some dissatisfaction - and let's face it, the UK bicycle market is unique and quixotic - I didn't see why the bikes I was used to (fast hybrids) weren't used more as a starting point. Then I saw the Schwinn Continental and thought, that's for me, good bike, unobtrusive motor, battery in rack, ...weird shaft drive, over there, not over there....

Oh dear, again. Why is this technology so iffy? It's not like electric motors haven't been around for a century?

I digress. The Cytronex looks perfect for me. I mingle (in my travels) with London cycle commuters all the time, and anticipate joining them soon. I have room for one bike only and love the conventional bike I have as is - similar to the Trek. The anticipation however includes cycling when I'm knackered, off-colour, against a headwind and every day without fail etc etc, so the choice of adding power at these times would make my life a deal more pleasant.

The thought of having a bike that's fine to use conventionally, but with the addition of a water bottle (!) gives me a helping hand is something I'd pay for.

And there's the rub. Non mass produced prices, youzza. Very understandable and worth it for the work gone into - if you have it. Which leaves me buying one in my head in, say, 6 months (Mark, make note!). In the meantime, I suppose it's back to the possibilities of putting some parts together. More reading. Gulp.

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
So, anybody with certifiably lousy cycling proficiency bought the Cytronex yet? Oh dear:D

Conceptually, this ticks all my boxes, and I think this will really take off. I kept looking at the designs of e-bikes with some dissatisfaction - and let's face it, the UK bicycle market is unique and quixotic - I didn't see why the bikes I was used to (fast hybrids) weren't used more as a starting point. Then I saw the Schwinn Continental and thought, that's for me, good bike, unobtrusive motor, battery in rack, ...weird shaft drive, over there, not over there....

Oh dear, again. Why is this technology so iffy? It's not like electric motors haven't been around for a century?

I digress. The Cytronex looks perfect for me. I mingle (in my travels) with London cycle commuters all the time, and anticipate joining them soon. I have room for one bike only and love the conventional bike I have as is - similar to the Trek. The anticipation however includes cycling when I'm knackered, off-colour, against a headwind and every day without fail etc etc, so the choice of adding power at these times would make my life a deal more pleasant.

The thought of having a bike that's fine to use conventionally, but with the addition of a water bottle (!) gives me a helping hand is something I'd pay for.

And there's the rub. Non mass produced prices, youzza. Very understandable and worth it for the work gone into - if you have it. Which leaves me buying one in my head in, say, 6 months (Mark, make note!). In the meantime, I suppose it's back to the possibilities of putting some parts together. More reading. Gulp.
Well Sopht, my wife has certifiably lousy cycling proficiency! At least, when I was fit, I used to hate riding with her and the kids because the kids could keep up and she couldn’t. Then the kids could beat me easily but she still couldn’t keep up. Then I got unfit (and over-weight) and she could keep up. Now, she can cycle faster up hills on her Cytronex than I can because she only weighs about 60% of me!

So she is getting on fine with the bike. In Wales she always gets a bigger range than I (weight and hills again). I don’t know if this helps, but don’t tell her I posted it!

Jones175

Just Joined
Jun 2, 2008
Stourbridge, W. Midlands
Towbar bracket

My only problem is trying to fine a bike rack that fits on a Honda CRV, which has a spare wheel on the rear door (right side) and the rear window opens vertically whilst the door opens sideways. I have a tow bar but the ones that seem to fit there go straight up and the wheel is in the way. I wanted to avoid using the roof but it may be the only solution. Anyone know of any other options?

Hi Steve take a look at this website http://www.towingandleisure.co.uk/Frames/Main.htm click on the our products page, and then the Cycle safe Twin Cycle Carrier link they are based in Tividale, Oldbury, West Midlands. I have had mine for about 3 years and have had 3 bikes on the back of my car with no problems. They do them for both 4x4's and normal cars. The most expensive one that carry's 4 bikes for 4x4's is £66.95 + p&p and bolt directly on to your towbar with a supplied bracket. Hope this is of some help.

Regards
Andy :)

PS sorry I couldn't put a direct link to the page but its set in frames on the website..

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
A to B Magazine have a review of the Cytronex in their September edition - just published digitally. They were clearly extremely impressed with it!

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
How do you get the A to B digital- Ive recently re-subscribed but I cant see anything on their website about the digital version?

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You need to register with Exact Editions John, since they publish it online. Your A to B subscription should include the online one free now, but I'm not sure how you'll authorise that. Check on the site as there may be provision to access without paying again, but if not, a mail to A to B will get an answer.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've just read the ful A to B review but am puzzled by them talking about using power from a standstill and an easy standing start on 1 in 6.

I'm sure Mark has said there's no power until 5 mph???????

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
I've just read the ful A to B review but am puzzled by them talking about using power from a standstill and an easy standing start on 1 in 6.

I'm sure Mark has said there's no power until 5 mph???????
There is power from stanstill but that`s not how they recommend you use it. They suggest you peddle to 5mph before turning on the power. Possibly because it`s a button and not a throttle that adds the power progressively.
No doubt also to conserve the battery.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Encantador, the original impression was there was no power. I appreciate why it's not desirable to use it the standing start way, better for the motor drive system as well as the battery drain.

sopht

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2008
Well Sopht, my wife has certifiably lousy cycling proficiency! At least, when I was fit, I used to hate riding with her and the kids because the kids could keep up and she couldn’t. Then the kids could beat me easily but she still couldn’t keep up. Then I got unfit (and over-weight) and she could keep up. Now, she can cycle faster up hills on her Cytronex than I can because she only weighs about 60% of me!

So she is getting on fine with the bike. In Wales she always gets a bigger range than I (weight and hills again). I don’t know if this helps, but don’t tell her I posted it!
I missed your post Chris (not used to forums) - I hope your wife missed it too :rolleyes: Just kidding. I can see a great cartoon animation of the sequence you tell!

Have you tried using two batteries on a trip? Do you end up wanting more and more or does that seem like a good range? (I suppose I'm thinking of for a day's jaunt). Sorry if you've already said, the thread's quite long now.

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
I missed your post Chris (not used to forums) - I hope your wife missed it too :rolleyes: Just kidding. I can see a great cartoon animation of the sequence you tell!

Have you tried using two batteries on a trip? Do you end up wanting more and more or does that seem like a good range? (I suppose I'm thinking of for a day's jaunt). Sorry if you've already said, the thread's quite long now.
Hi Sopht,

Sorry for the late reply – I’ve been away from the internet. Yes, I have two more batteries on order from Mark. Actually, around Birmingham I get 20 miles comfortably and that’s enough. In Mid-Wales (where I am now) I reckon on 15 miles in the hills, and we tend to do longer rides, hence the second battery. I also seem to be getting fitter, so that helps too!

Mark/Cytronex

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Winchester
www.no-hills.com
Hello Flecc

Just to clarify the 5mph issue. You are right that we do stress Cytronex should not be used at less than 5mph, but it will in fact work at less than this (A to B carried out a fast 1 in 6 hill start in their review).

There are two main reasons we stipulate 5mph:

1. If a Cytronex powered bike is left in high speed and then started from zero it will attempt to accelerate very fast to maximum speed and use a significant amount of energy in so doing, in addition to stressing the electronics. As a light weight, high efficiency product, we feel that Cytronex should be used efficiently. Humans are very good at accelerating a bicycle from 0 to 5mph. We accept that some can't and agree that in this case Cytronex is not suitable.

2. Our motor is brushless and sensorless. Whilst these are highly efficient in motion, they are not best used from zero rpm due to the lack of EMF feedback.

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Regards,

Mark

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Mark. I understood the issues with the brushless Tongxin motor from a standstill, and of course the high consumption when used in that way. Being under the impression that was blocked in some way on the Cytronex I was just surprised at seeing A to B mentioning that use, though I know they usually test hill starts.

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
second ride, went up the worst hill ever in the mendips, works brilliantly
Do youi mind me asking which hill? Draycott Steep up from Draycott past the gliding club is the worst I know of here. My car struggles especially if I need to stop to let somebofy past.

BM

Mark/Cytronex

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Winchester
www.no-hills.com
Post by Sopht

Just a note about pricing.

Cytronex is intended as an alternative to using a car for shorter journeys. Therefore we feel that it should not just be viewed as a fun way of getting about but in justifying the expenditure you need to consider what you will save by not using your car. With daily use it is possible to achieve payback in a year while leaving the car in the garage. Obviously for those who are lucky enough to be able to get rid of their cars altogether, the effect is instant.

We assemble Cytronex Powered bikes in Winchester and many of the components we use are European and American. We will not compromise quality so the cost of producing our bikes is high. This is why we currently sell only direct in order to provide the lowest price we can. Even so we have struggled to maintain the price below £1,000. Although we would say there is no equivalent bike, our nearest competitors price their products at £1,200 - £1,600.

The 2009 Trek bikes will shortly be coming out and in common with other quality bike manufacturers there is a significant price increase, this is true for many of our components. So it is likely that we will only be able to maintain the £995 price for a few weeks now, so my advice to anyone thinking of buying Cytronex would be to buy now!

Regards,

Mark