Trek Cytronex - First Impressions.

robert letts

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 5, 2006
worst hill

there are probably lots of worse ones, but for me personally getting from butcombe to blagdon then up to the top (heading towards priddy) all in one go is my particular hill-noir

C

Cyclezee

Cytronex, My Opinion

I must confess that I bought a Cytronex on the strength of the positive 'hype' it received on the forum and because it looks so good. What I should have done was try it first!
I really liked the bike, it was nice to ride and quite lightweight, but had mixed feelings about it. The standard Tongxin motor could do with more power and the 20 mile range would be reduced considerably if I changed to an optional more powerfull motor.
The main reason I sold it was because I now suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome and the hybrid style frame means I am leaning forward on the flat handlebars which brings on the CTS.
My Agattu is a much more comfortable ride and in my hands faster than the Cytronex despite what others say.

Someone else who shall remain nameless summed it up for me in one sentence, "There is no doubt that the Cytronex is a beautiful looking bike and very well put together, but I've felt for a while that it is the ideal electric bike for people who don't need an electric bike!"

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi Aldby

This sounds too bad, I definately need an Electric bike to help me with my weight and knees. 995 is a good price but not sure if it is worth anymore or if it will fit my purpose. If it was ok for me I wonder if I could buy it on the cycle to work scheme when working part time?

Where can I test ride?

thx

Bob

C

Cyclezee

Hi Aldby

This sounds too bad, I definately need an Electric bike to help me with my weight and knees. 995 is a good price but not sure if it is worth anymore or if it will fit my purpose. If it was ok for me I wonder if I could buy it on the cycle to work scheme when working part time?

Where can I test ride?

thx

Bob
Hi Bob,

You need to be a reasonably fit cyclist if you are considering a Cytronex, so maybe you should consider something else. Having said that, why not contact Mark at Cytronex and go to Winchester for a test ride, then make your mind up.

Intex

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2008
Aldby,
I didnt want to change the subject, but why did you choose the Agutta over the PRoConnect? Is the riding stance on the ProConnect similiar to that on the Agutta? Thanks

C

Cyclezee

Intex,

If I may express a personal opinion, the Agattu represents better value for money and is a more comfortable bike than the Pro Connect.
The Pro Connect S promises to be a different story, higher performance and suspension, but at a much higher price.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I must confess that I bought a Cytronex on the strength of the positive 'hype' it received on the forum and because it looks so good. What I should have done was try it first!
I really liked the bike, it was nice to ride and quite lightweight, but had mixed feelings about it. The standard Tongxin motor could do with more power and the 20 mile range would be reduced considerably if I changed to an optional more powerfull motor.
The main reason I sold it was because I now suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome and the hybrid style frame means I am leaning forward on the flat handlebars which brings on the CTS.
My Agattu is a much more comfortable ride and in my hands faster than the Cytronex despite what others say.

Someone else who shall remain nameless summed it up for me in one sentence, "There is no doubt that the Cytronex is a beautiful looking bike and very well put together, but I've felt for a while that it is the ideal electric bike for people who don't need an electric bike!"

I think the lesson here is not that the agattu is better than the cytronex or vice versa, but that you must try before you buy. I made the mistake of buying an agattu on the strength of a good review - I will refrain from calling it hype. However I loath riding it, so much so that it has sat in my shed unused since I bought a cytronex. For me this is the best electric bicycle I have ever ridden simply because it rides like a normal bike until you need to climb a hill or get away quickly at the lights. It is also the quickest LEGAL electric bicycle - but I think a modified agattu (with say an 18 tooth sprocket) would perhaps be the same or a bit quicker.

By the way as a cytronex owner I completely refute the idea that it is for those that don't need an electric bike and misses the point about what a good electric bicycle could be. I cycle 20 miles each working day - something I would never do on a normal bicycle. Actually the more I think about it it is a really silly thing to say - sorry.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are clear differences between Harryb's and Aldby's view, and mine differs on the Agattu as well, and I think this is no more than a reflection on the very real differences between us all as cyclists. We saw exactly the same disputes about the first eZee Torq'a hill climbing ability, again a very rider dependent aspect.

Since electric bikes are really electric assist bikes, meaning the rider plays a very big part, other's opinions and by implication from that, reviews also, must only be treated as relevant where facts are concerned. Riding opinions should be treated with great caution, since they can only definitely be relevant to the person expressing the opinion.

That leaves us with what we so often say, it's very important to try before buying, and I don't think any electric bike should be bought if a trial ride isn't possible.

Sorry ebay and mail order suppliers, but that's just how it is with these vehicles.

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
There are clear differences between Harryb's and Aldby's view, and mine differs on the Agattu as well, and I think this is no more than a reflection on the very real differences between us all as cyclists. We saw exactly the same disputes about the first eZee Torq'a hill climbing ability, again a very rider dependent aspect.

Since electric bikes are really electric assist bikes, meaning the rider plays a very big part, other's opinions and by implication from that, reviews also, must only be treated as relevant where facts are concerned. Riding opinions should be treated with great caution, since they can only definitely be relevant to the person expressing the opinion.

That leaves us with what we so often say, it's very important to try before buying, and I don't think any electric bike should be bought if a trial ride isn't possible.

Sorry ebay and mail order suppliers, but that's just how it is with these vehicles.
I agree with you Tony in most of what you say, but what are facts? And more important, if from facts a potential buyer can´t get an approximate idea of what to expect of a bike and not be disappointed, what are their practical use if nobody comments on them? Most of us can´t try out the main bikes due to different circunstances. What I mean with all this lengthy preamble is that there are known basic aspirations in all bikers that some bikes fullfil and others don´t. For instance, few can dispute that a Wisper is faster and requires less effort on long moderate hills than the Panasonic types. Or am I wrong?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You're on the right lines Poppy, there are simple facts such as the Wisper 905se being faster in average speeds than a standard EU legal Panasonic powered bike, and those are the sort of things I mean, indisputable facts.

The difficult opinion area is on things like ease of hill climbing, quality of the riding experience, comfort, and the overall assessment of where a bike ranks as an e-bike. The nearest these can get to any relationship to fact is when a view is widely held.

An example of that is the way in which the Lafree bikes were very widely regarded as the best electric bikes with all factors taken into account including prices, and since the Kalkhoff Agattu is clearly a big improvement on the Lafree and it's introductory UK price was very low, I had no hesitation in nominating that the successor to the best electric bike title.

But the Agattu's Panasonic system doesn't suit everyone and many express doubts about some aspects of the system and prefer hub motor bikes, though they usually praise many aspects of the Agattu. Harryb above has said he actually loathes the Agattu, and thats the only time I've ever known anyone express anything like as strong a dislike of that system in the seven years it's been around.

The point is that doesn't in any way make his view wrong or invalid, since for him the bike is loathsome, and that's still true even if he was the only person in existence to think so. This illustrates just how impossible it is to review an e-bike and give opinions that suit all, and it even calls into question whether reviews have any real value with these bikes.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I think it is important to add that I don't think that the agattu is a bad bike, it just doesn't suit me at all. I am sure there are plenty of people out there that it would also drive mad. The way the power disappears in each gear would be ok if you could change gear quickly, but you can't. In the cut and thrust of London's traffic it just doesn't work. Not everyone wants to use a bike like me so it will suit them.

But I am really making the point that you should try before you buy and not make the mistake that I made ...and reviews are just that, peoples opinions and not hype.

C

Cyclezee

HarryB,

We clearly disagree on the merits of Cytronex v Agattu and that is fine by me. Wouldn't it be a boring if everyone was in agrement and loved one single model of bike.

The title of my post yesterday was "Cytronex, My Opinion", I don't expect everyone to agree with what I say.

Where I do agree with you is the phrase "Try before you buy", we both made that mistake.

As for the Cytronex being the fastest electric bike, that really depends more who is riding it and the effort they are willing or able provide to propell it.

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Like a normal bike?

From what I have read it appears that one school of thought is that the perfect ebike should give the rider an experience that is as near as possible to that of a normal bike.
I can understand this point of view, but I feel that an ebike is a different animal and we should appreciate the differences between these and non-assisted bikes; and the many differences between the ebikes. If I had the money and the space I would by one of each and use them all so that I could fully appreciate the many comments made. As it is, the reports and comments made by riders are so good that I feel as if sometimes I feel like I have ridden the bikes!
In my youth (pre home computers and games machines) I spent most of my free time om my bike. I now ride my electric bike part of the way to and from work. I have a question. I get assist from my Ezee Forsa (and three batteries!) but have to work harder climbing hills than I do on the flat. I feel that this is the same as as in my youth but with consistent help. How is this different to (or than?) the other systems as a riding experience. The main differences to me are the quick start and the help up hills.
Conal

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As for the Cytronex being the fastest electric bike, that really depends more who is riding it and the effort they are willing or able provide to propell it.

That's certainly true, and I've only seen A to B magazine and Hal making that claim. Since David at A to B is a very powerful rider, podium placed at Presteigne both years and pedalling a Torq 1 at over 25 mph on the flat within each lap, I'll have to assume that Hal is a very strong rider too, at least far stronger than the average electric bike rider of my experience.

All the others giving their average speeds on the Cytronex bikes in this forum mention 12 or 13 mph usually as their averages, the same as the norm on Panasonic powered bikes and appreciably slower than the faster hub motor bikes from eZee and Wisper.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have a question. I get assist from my Ezee Forsa (and three batteries!) but have to work harder climbing hills than I do on the flat. I feel that this is the same as as in my youth but with consistent help. How is this different to (or than?) the other systems as a riding experience.
I think this is largely true of all electric assist bikes Conal, much harder work on the hills than on the flat where the power is scarcely needed. Some systems can even it out a bit though. The Panasonic system has three power levels, so if the least (Eco) is used on the flat, and the most (High Power) is used on the hills, the difference is very much smaller.

Likewise the Cytronex has two levels, paradoxically Low being best on hills at up to a certain speed, with High selected above that for the higher speeds when the going is easier. Although not strictly evening things out, it can narrow the difference a bit.

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
That's certainly true, and I've only seen A to B magazine and Hal making that claim. Since David at A to B is a very powerful rider, podium placed at Presteigne both years and pedalling a Torq 1 at over 25 mph on the flat within each lap, I'll have to assume that Hal is a very strong rider too, at least far stronger than the average electric bike rider of my experience.

All the others giving their average speeds on the Cytronex bikes in this forum mention 12 or 13 mph usually as their averages, the same as the norm on Panasonic powered bikes and appreciably slower than the faster hub motor bikes from eZee and Wisper.
I completely agree that it is the rider that makes the cytronex quick. Don't forget we are talking about a fast LEGAL ebike - the Torq 1 is much quicker when de-restricted. In my experience above 15 mph the electric bike works against you, it becomes harder to ride at 16 mph and very much harder at 17mph etc. This is true of all the electric bikes I have ridden including the panasonic powered agattu. Of course this matters little if you are happy riding at speeds below 15mph as most people are.

For your information it takes me the same time riding to and from work on an unassisted bike as it does the cytronex/agattu - but I am a lot less sweaty with the cytronex (oddly enough I am always very sweaty on the agattu???). So you can make your own judgements about my abilities.

Also I have been riding an agattu with a faulty battery. 50 cycles very quickly sent a new a replacement battery and I'll have to give it a go see if it makes any difference. So in its defence the agattu is very well put together and has excellent dealer support - it has made many people happy, unfortunately not me.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi HarryB

Sound like a proconnect sports is for you if you want to go faster, have you tried one of these yet? Shame I cannot get cycle to work scheme for part time work otherwise I would order one.

thx

Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I completely agree that it is the rider that makes the cytronex quick. Don't forget we are talking about a fast LEGAL ebike - the Torq 1 is much quicker when de-restricted. In my experience above 15 mph the electric bike works against you, it becomes harder to ride at 16 mph and very much harder at 17mph etc. This is true of all the electric bikes I have ridden including the panasonic powered agattu. Of course this matters little if you are happy riding at speeds below 15mph as most people are.

For your information it takes me the same time riding to and from work on an unassisted bike as it does the cytronex/agattu - but I am a lot less sweaty with the cytronex (oddly enough I am always very sweaty on the agattu???). So you can make your own judgements about my abilities.

Also I have been riding an agattu with a faulty battery. 50 cycles very quickly sent a new a replacement battery and I'll have to give it a go see if it makes any difference. So in its defence the agattu is very well put together and has excellent dealer support - it has made many people happy, unfortunately not me.
I agree completely on how most e-bikes work against the rider above their assisted speed limit Hal, not good for someone who wants to ride faster. Fortunately most e-bike buyers are fundamentally utility cyclists as we see in what they say about fast cadences etc, so that doesn't affect them.

Let us know your impressions on the Agattu with it's new battery, but I don't think your opinion will change since I appreciate what you say about tackling the cut and thrust of inner and central London traffic. There's no doubt that needs an agile and responsive bike and the Panasonic system doesn't fully match that, though fine for utility riding, leisure, lighter traffic commuting etc.

The only thing that still puzzles me is that the Agattu makes you more sweaty than the Cytronex, and the only reason I can think of is that you may be working against the Panasonic system due to it not matching your riding style.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
...about tackling the cut and thrust of inner and central London traffic. There's no doubt that needs an agile and responsive bike and the Panasonic system doesn't fully match that, though fine for utility riding, leisure, lighter traffic commuting etc.
I dont agree with that Flecc at all. In my view, fumbling for buttons on the end of the bars when every single touch of the brakes turns off the power, is far from ideal. At least with the Panasonic system you have assistance on every press of the pedal.

This one the one thing that I found excellent about the Panasonic system, its simplicity.

John

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
...Of course this matters little if you are happy riding at speeds below 15mph as most people are.
I average 16.5 mph on my commute. I dont remember the last time I settled for less than 15mph on the flat, if I ever have.

... but I am a lot less sweaty with the cytronex (oddly enough I am always very sweaty on the agattu???).
this sounds to me like you can maintain a good cadence?

...it has made many people happy, unfortunately not me.
Horses for courses :)

John