Two new Woosh bikes are on the way

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I do like the sound of the Rio.
Do you have any dealers in the North West where it could be test ridden?

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5 using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
is the controller built into the battery mount or elsewhere cant see it from pics
the mtb with 17ah would definitely ap[peal to me

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
The Rio is now on the Woosh website and states that the controller is neatly integrated in the frame.

I've always disliked controllers hanging in a separate bag or box.
Looks so much neater when it's out of sight.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks Kenny website re the rio shows frame as 18" (left side) and 20" right hand side description)

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Rio is now on the Woosh website and states that the controller is neatly integrated in the frame.

I've always disliked controllers hanging in a separate bag or box.
Looks so much neater when it's out of sight.
Thank you Kenny.

The only exposed cable is the motor cable.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Will you have any more pics going up on the website of the Rio?
Does the LCD show any more info than just speed and a battery indicator?

Looking at the Oxygen MTB, it shows voltage and current levels which would I think will give a better indication of battery life?
Whats the difference between a CST motor and a SWX02 motor or is it the same thing.......trying to work out why the Oxygen is £450 more for the same 13ah battery version.....they seem very very similar

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Does the LCD show any more info than just speed and a battery indicator?
yes, it has the usual functions, battery meter, trip meter, odometer and usual settings, wheel diameter, miles/km, maximum assist speed.

Whats the difference between a CST motor and a SWX02 motor or is it the same thing.
The XF08C CST kit that I sell has a cassette adapter on the motor, the SWX02 has a larger core and thread for a screw-on freewheel. Both run from the same battery and controller.
If you want to use an SWX02 on a bike with cassette fitting, you have to buy an equivalent freewheel.
Therefore, if your bike has 9-10 speed cassette, the XF08C is a better choice, if it has 7-8 speed, cassette or freewheel, the SWX02 is better choice for torque.
ying to work out why the Oxygen is £450 more for the same 13ah battery version.....they seem very very similar
The Oxygen is sold through a large dealer network, with local dealer service that has to be paid for. If I sell to a shop the Rio MTB at £1,049, the same price I sell from my website, the dealer has to add his 30%, making it £1,399 in his shop. I will eventually have to sell my bikes through the shops but not yet.

• Informative

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
yes, it has the usual functions, battery meter, trip meter, odometer and usual settings, wheel diameter, miles/km, maximum assist speed.

The XF08C CST kit that I sell has a cassette adapter on the motor, the SWX02 has a larger core and thread for a screw-on freewheel. Both run from the same battery and controller.
If you want to use an SWX02 on a bike with cassette fitting, you have to buy an equivalent freewheel.
Therefore, if your bike has 9-10 speed cassette, the XF08C is a better choice, if it has 7-8 speed, cassette or freewheel, the SWX02 is better choice for torque.

The Oxygen is sold through a large dealer network, with local dealer service that has to be paid for. If I sell to a shop the Rio MTB at £1,049, the same price I sell from my website, the dealer has to add his 30%, making it £1,399 in his shop. I will eventually have to sell my bikes through the shops but not yet.
Youve confused me even more on the motor now ;)
The oxygen has the CST kit apparently...yours has the SWX02...for the ignorant amongst us, well me anyway...does it basically provide the same thing but different because of the different number of gears on each bike then?

The Oxygen has 27 gears...I cant really understand the need for those..maybe unless you go complete off roading, so the extra gears are of no benefit to me...apart from more things to go wrong ;)

I have 3 sets of 26" tyres here, so the wheel size on the rio suits me more than the oxygens 27.5, that would save me a few quid buying winter tyres again.

That's some dealer mark up...30%...easy money if you can get it and pass any problems back to the manufacturer as the last one I bought from did.....hopefully you wont be using shops before June!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The oxygen has the CST kit apparently...yours has the SWX02...for the ignorant amongst us, well me anyway...does it basically provide the same thing but different because of the different number of gears on each bike then?
Yes. Bafang make motor shells in 120mm, 140mm and 160mm in diameter. Both bikes use 140mm shell.
Each size has several variants to suit their customers requirements. Some want high speed some low speed and more torque, some want to have cassette fitting, others freewheels etc.
The Oxygen has 9-speed cassette at the rear, so they use a cassette variant.
The controller delivers x amount of current to the motor. The Oxygen lets you have 3 styles x 6 levels, 18 choices. My Rio has only 5 levels and a throttle, simpler or cruder, depending on your point of view, but they basically do the same thing.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Simpler I think.....
I would imagine that the way the Oxygen is setup, different settings would overlap.....Eco and assist level 6 would be the same as Turbo, level 1 perhaps.....complicates the issue? Just like to have it at the right level to get me where Im going without dripping with sweat or running out of juice.

Is there any benefit in having a cassette over a freewheel on an e-bike? Only thing I can think of (if i have learned anything) is with a cassette, you can change individual gear rings if they get worn, or to change the gearing overall?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is there any benefit in having a cassette over a freewheel on an e-bike?
Cassettes usually give you choice between 11T-32T, Shimano freewheels 14T-34T. Cassettes therefore let you have more gear inches compared to freewheels.
The Woosh Rio has a DNP 8-speed freewheel, 11T-30T.
There is not much between an DNP 11T-30T freewheel and a 11T-32T cassette. DNP make also 9-speed and 10-speed freewheels to replace corresponding cassettes.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=DNP freewheel

• Informative

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Cassettes usually give you choice between 11T-32T, Shimano freewheels 14T-34T. Cassettes therefore let you have more gear inches compared to freewheels.
The Woosh Rio has a DNP 8-speed freewheel, 11T-30T.
There is not much between an DNP 11T-30T freewheel and a 11T-32T cassette. DNP make also 9-speed and 10-speed freewheels to replace corresponding cassettes.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=DNP freewheel
There you go, confusing me again ;)
Thing I take from that is that item costs more than the £7 item that was on my stealth, so thats a positive

• :D

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Hi Andy. It isn't the overlap that you think as the 3 power levels are very distinct. If your in highest assist 6 in any of the three power levels then it will go to cutout if it can. The power levels dictate oomph. So for my 17 stone mid power level is often slower at 6 than high power level. But on a flat it will eventually get there. You have to work a bit harder

Let's say I'm riding on pavement with my little.boy and don't want to go too quick. I can be in top power but knock the assist down to 1 or 2. it will keep cutting out but the Trouble is its.like peddling air. Take the power down to normal or eco at the same assist and now it's feels more like cycling.

• Informative

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Got you.

Think my problem is I would be tempted to put it on Turbo (or sport cant remember the term oxygen use) and end up running out of juice before i get to my destination.

It really is a tough choice between these two bikes for me, and its a big difference in price. Im pretty sure they would both do the job...especially as Woosh has put his money where his mouth is so to speak. Cant ignore that fact. And...there is a bigger AH battery coming for the Rio, but no similar plans for the Oxygen as I asked them a couple of days ago

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
One other thing I was wondering, but kind of hard to describe.

The gear levers.
On my stealth, you push a button, and the gear drops nicely in to the next higher gear.
To move down a gear, you pull another lever. You have to use slight force to do it...if that makes sense....there is no "click it into place feel" - you know you are pulling a cable

With the Mrs bike I borrowed the other day, the up a gear selector was so much smoother. You give the lever a click, and the gear moves down 1 with hardly any effort....like turning a light switch on - you dont feel like you are pulling a cable

Its obviously a different shifter system, and definitely nicer than the one on the stealth.
What are they like on the Oxygen and Rio?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Motor: 36V 250W BBS01 mid-drive motor with C965 display/controls.
9 levels of pedal assist, plus thumb throttle boost.
Battery: Samsung cell 11.6Ah downtube mount battery.
Frame: Santa Cruz Chameleon in extra small 14.5" frame.
Forks: Rockshox SID Team dual air suspension forks with 100mm of buttery smooth travel (serviced with new fluid and seals).
Wheels: Front, Hope Pro2 Evo hub with Stans NoTubes ZTR Crest rim and 180mm disc rotor. Rear, Superstar 10 speed cassette hub with Stans NoTubes ZTR Arch EX rim and 160mm disc rotor.
Tyres: Front, Maxxis High Roller II 26x2.4 tubeless. Rear Maxxis Ignitor 26x2.10 tubeless.
Brakes: Shimano XT hydraulic front and rear (serviced with new fluid and pads).
Rear derailleur: Shimano XTR with carbon cage.
Cassette: Sram 10 speed, 11-36 tooth.
Chain: KMX XXSP 10 speed.
Gear shifter: Shimano Zee 10 speed.
Handlebars and stem: Raceface.
Headset: Token TK737ABC heavy duty 1 1/8th headset with angular sealed bearings.
Seat post: Raceface.
Saddle: Defty.
Pedals: Diamond Back flats in black.
Chainring: 36 tooth with narrow-wide tooth formation.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk

Motor: 36V 250W BBS01 mid-drive motor with C965 display/controls.
9 levels of pedal assist, plus thumb throttle boost.
Battery: Samsung cell 11.6Ah downtube mount battery.
Frame: Santa Cruz Chameleon in extra small 14.5" frame.
Forks: Rockshox SID Team dual air suspension forks with 100mm of buttery smooth travel (serviced with new fluid and seals).
Wheels: Front, Hope Pro2 Evo hub with Stans NoTubes ZTR Crest rim and 180mm disc rotor. Rear, Superstar 10 speed cassette hub with Stans NoTubes ZTR Arch EX rim and 160mm disc rotor.
Tyres: Front, Maxxis High Roller II 26x2.4 tubeless. Rear Maxxis Ignitor 26x2.10 tubeless.
Brakes: Shimano XT hydraulic front and rear (serviced with new fluid and pads).
Rear derailleur: Shimano XTR with carbon cage.
Cassette: Sram 10 speed, 11-36 tooth.
Chain: KMX XXSP 10 speed.
Gear shifter: Shimano Zee 10 speed.
Handlebars and stem: Raceface.
Headset: Token TK737ABC heavy duty 1 1/8th headset with angular sealed bearings.
Seat post: Raceface.
Saddle: Defty.
Pedals: Diamond Back flats in black.
Chainring: 36 tooth with narrow-wide tooth formation.
Thats not a Rio or an Oxygen.... ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk