Update on N.I. e-bike regs.

Jim e

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 4, 2020
Why are you still typing, you should be sleeping.:)
Guys you are well ahead of me with this tech It was a email from dept transport basically saying same as ted got Just waiting game now guys

• Informative
Reactions: TedG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Last paragraph annoys me. Perhaps reading too deeply.
I wouldn't worry about that Ted, it's typical Government/Civil Service style, covering themselves with an excuse in case one is needed.

In this case the target is obviously parity with the mainland UK.

• Informative
Reactions: TedG and Jim e

Jim e

Feb 4, 2020
Hi ebikers
Just to let you guys know ,the nolan show ,radio Ulster BBC ni is covering the ebike fiasco this morning between 9 and 10.30 am hope it's good.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Well Jim if you are his regular, perhaps only listener could you let us know if and when he will be planning some rescheduled coverage on our plight here.
Obviously the virus concerns are of much more importance and therefore that was given priority, and rightly so.
I did record it this morning and skipped through as my stomach isn't strong enough to take much of his ******* actually live.

Gazwald

Feb 28, 2020
I know we have a world wide pandemic going on at the minute.

However has anyone had any updates on this law changing?

Waiting to buy an E-trike and there is very little information out there for NI.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
This farce has been ongoing for somewhere around three years. If you read these threads you will be up to date as much as possible.
There were some updates listed above but when the virus took hold it is obviously getting priority and rightly so.
The current situation is that a decision is "pending" but those of us cynical enough see this as covering their backs rather than simply giving a time for a decision.
As I sit here overlooking a main country road I see many ebikes and indeed some recently bought ones so there is still an element of disregard for this obscure law.
My knowledge is that bikes are being sold with the proviso that they are illegal to ride but not illegal to sell.
Stalemate is the word I think I am looking for. There are several other words which have had me banned from other forums so I won't use them here.
You will see my views and reasons many times here but I haven't got the nerve to alter them.
Good luck and take care.

Last edited:

Gazwald

Feb 28, 2020
I had planned to buy an E-trike this time last year. unaware of this law. I had just looked up UK law with NI being within the UK.

Rightly so, the assembly taking the pandemic I agree.

Although I feel like everything is just getting in the way of this law changing.

1) not having a government
2) Pandemic

I now just live in hope that one day it will change.
hopefully by 2022 :p

E-trikes are very expensive so I suppose it just gives me more time to save.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
I had planned to buy an E-trike this time last year. unaware of this law. I had just looked up UK law with NI being within the UK.

Rightly so, the assembly taking the pandemic I agree.

Although I feel like everything is just getting in the way of this law changing.

1) not having a government
2) Pandemic

I now just live in hope that one day it will change.
hopefully by 2022 :p

E-trikes are very expensive so I suppose it just gives me more time to save.
1. There is a government ....of sorts and there is no disagreement which is a novelty.
The delay is still an administrative one with the details outlined above #486.

Reactions: Gazwald

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
This farch has been ongoing for somewhere around three years. If you read these threads you will be up to date as much as possible.
There were some updates listed above but when the virus took hold it is obviously getting priority and rightly so.
The current situation is that a decision is "pending" but those of us cynical enough see this as covering their backs rather than simply giving a time for a decision.
As I sit here overlooking a main country road I see many ebikes and indeed some recently bought ones so there is still an element of disregard for this obscure law.
My knowledge is that bikes are being sold with the proviso that they are illegal to ride but not illegal to sell.
Stalemate is the word I think I am looking for. There are several other words which have had me banned from other forums so I won't use them here.
You will see my views and reasons many times here but I haven't got the nerve to alter them.
Good luck and take care.

Courtesy of `UlsterEPAC`

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
More replies from trusted MLA's today.

Dear
I have raised the matter with the Minister one again however, you will appreciate that she is managing a number of significant changes to her departments services during this time and a reply could be slower due to significant correspondence and queries.
When I receive a response I will be in touch with you again.
Regards

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi
I hope you are keeping well despite this situation.
There are no updates as of yet , sorry! I did as you are aware, write to the Minister about this and I did receive an acknowledgement but I have had no reply since then. I will let you know when I do though but all the efforts at Executive level are being geared towards covid-19.
Please take care of yourself and your health.
Kind regards,

Gazwald

Feb 28, 2020
PS Sorry for the length.

Hi all,

Just something I’ve been thinking about and I thought it could be a good taking point so I thought I would post it.

As per my previous post that I’m interested in getting an e-Trike.

However with the legislation in its current state this isn’t possible at this time. With the being the case I was thinking would it be worth getting a manual transmission trike and then in the future retrofitting it with a motor. (Befang).

However I was also wondering if I was to do this would it still be inline with the legislation that is going to be put in place? A quick reading over it. I’m not sure as it states: although I could also be understanding this wrong.

"No person shall ride, or cause or permit to be ridden, on a road an electrically assisted pedal cycle unless—

(a)it is—

(i)fitted with a plate securely fixed in a conspicuous and readily accessible position showing—

(aa)the name of the manufacturer;

(bb)the nominal voltage of the battery as defined in the 1971 British Standard; and

(cc)the continuous rated output of the motor as defined in the 1971 British Standard; or

(ii)visibly and durably marked with—

(aa)the name of the manufacturer;

(bb)the maximum speed at which the motor can propel the vehicle specified in miles per hour or kilometres per hour; and

(cc)the maximum continuous rated power of the motor specified in watts or kilowatts;

(b)fitted with a battery which does not leak so as to be a source of danger; and

(c)fitted with a device biased to the off position which allows power to come from the motor only when the device is operated so as to achieve that result."

Do these retro fit kits from China meet these requirements?

Otherwise I think I might still be better waiting and buying an OEM version which comes with Shimano Steps already fitted which I assume would be inline with the legislation from the get go.

I suppose I have been thinking about this because I would like to get a trike as soon as possible and start riding, even if it means riding/peddling manually at the start but then ultimately upgrading it to e-assist.

Also retrofit kits tend to be cheaper then the likes of a Shimano Steps so I’m trying to weigh up my possible options.

Any information or thoughts that people provide is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Gazwald.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Updates from a trusted MLA who has been supporting us from the beginning.

Good evening
I thought I would email with some good news. The Minister is bringing a motion on ebike legislation on Tuesday next. I am still waiting on exactly what this will mean legally but it would seem things are moving in the right direction!
Take good care!

The motion I believe, but yet to be confirmed, is the first part of the legislation being introduced, which is way ahead of the assumed schedule for this year. I would hope to know more details but this is the legislation as it stands: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisr/2020/31/contents/made
The Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2020
These Regulations prescribe the class of electrically assisted pedal cycles (EAPCs) to be treated as not being motor vehicles within the meaning of the Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1995.
www.legislation.gov.uk

Reactions: flecc

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
From what I can see in the "proposals" there are a few things which will need some clarification - for me anyhow. I have read this before in a previous post and the "information plate" (for want of a better word) attachment plan may / will make us different to the rest of Europe and UK.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I can't see the need for this tiny part of the UK to be different.
However if we are to be different I would appreciate any advice from anyone as to who would be obliged to make these plates.
I have no objections to it per se if it keeps them happy. Our bikes are ultra legal and will remain so.
Ideas / thoughts?
Be safe
Ted.

Gazwald

Feb 28, 2020
From what I can see in the "proposals" there are a few things which will need some clarification - for me anyhow. I have read this before in a previous post and the "information plate" (for want of a better word) attachment plan may / will make us different to the rest of Europe and UK.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I can't see the need for this tiny part of the UK to be different.
However if we are to be different I would appreciate any advice from anyone as to who would be obliged to make these plates.
I have no objections to it per se if it keeps them happy. Our bikes are ultra legal and will remain so.
Ideas / thoughts?
Be safe
Ted.

Hi Ted,

I agree I don't believe that should need to be any different from the rest of the UK in terms of having an "information plate". However I do believe in my opinion it's to make the ease of checking ebikes and the spec a bit easier for whoever needs to enforce the legislation and to make sure the public users are within the outlined guidelines.

Although like you have stated above who does this become the ownis of? Is it down to the manufacture to make these plates and ship them with the motors. will they only come with new ebikes? Does this mean retro fit kits from China will not be allowed? As we can guarantee that they will not come with such plates. Or will it simply be down to to the user to create and make sure such plate is displayed? which opens in my eyes another can of worms? A lot of interesting questions still to be answered i suppose but a step in the right direction none the less :)

• Informative

Samcycles

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2020
Northern Ireland
Hi Ted,

I agree I don't believe that should need to be any different from the rest of the UK in terms of having an "information plate". However I do believe in my opinion it's to make the ease of checking ebikes and the spec a bit easier for whoever needs to enforce the legislation and to make sure the public users are within the outlined guidelines.

Although like you have stated above who does this become the ownis of? Is it down to the manufacture to make these plates and ship them with the motors. will they only come with new ebikes? Does this mean retro fit kits from China will not be allowed? As we can guarantee that they will not come with such plates. Or will it simply be down to to the user to create and make sure such plate is displayed? which opens in my eyes another can of worms? A lot of interesting questions still to be answered i suppose but a step in the right direction none the less :)
The adoption of GB law in its entirety is the simplest solution particularly given the record of the NI assembly on tweaking and overthinking legislation. I've spoken with our local MP on the subject previously and his opinion was that there is cross party consensus but it's not really been high on the agenda. Hopefully that's changed.

Gazwald

Feb 28, 2020
Hi @TedG, I have been doing some digging and came across this image from a TSDZ2 retrofit kit from @Woosh.

Maybe this sticker counts as an "information plate"

I think this stickers can very from manufacturer to manufacturer but still interesting to see.

Attachments