Upgrade to BBSHD?

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
If as it seems the Electron batteries are brought in from China i would give them a wide berth, what happens if one of the cells goes faulty? Who sorts that one out?
Buying from Insat you know that if there`s a problem Jim`ll fix It!!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The triangle 20a uses 2500mah cells but doesn't say which ones could be Sam 25R, lg HE2/4 or Sony VTC5A which are the high power cells.

As you say will give more range.

I can't say how far the BBSHD will go on any of those batteries as I don't run a high amp/high power 35a/1500/1800w set up.

The Electrons are UK batteries so no extra vat or duty to pay, it depends on the CS if their is an issue.

Last edited:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Thanks for all the replies guys. I have one final question before I make my purchase.

I’m considering two different batteries, the first one is from electron cycles:

14S5P 52v17.5Ah (Samsung 35Q cells

The second one is from Insat

52v 17.5Ah Panasonic NCR18650GA Tiger Shark

Both are 17.5ah, which one is the best to buy?
The 17.5 ah from electron cycles is made with panasonic 3500mah GA cells same as that insat one.The GA has a max rating of 10amp but continous rating of 5amps x 5 = 25.The bbshd is 30 amps.If u intend running the bbshd a lot at 25-30amps the 15ah 14s5p samsung 30q cell battery from E cycles wld be better.15 max, 7.5 continous x 5 = 37.5amp. Less strain heating up of the cells.My 30q batt doesnt even get warm after miles of WOT.

Last edited:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Short answer: yes.

A 250 W nominative motor with a 12S battery and a 20 A controller is a 1000 W motor when the battery is hot off the charger.

It is lighter. There are 250 W nominative hub motors with 72v batteries and 35 Amp controllers in the wild. In theory with a 48v battery they are road legal - that is 1.68 kW so at least 1.2 kW at the wheel.

And did I say they were smaller and lighter?
Well u know what i was getting at AK .The typical 'uk legal' 250w hub and mid drives running on 36v .Compared with big 1500w rear hubs and bbshds etc. Many inc myself started out small to be reasonably complient with the law.But wld have gone bigger at the time ,but for a little unease at possible prosecution .

I was chatting to an older couple with matching new his and hers bosch bikes. They were very happy with them.I let him take my bbshd for a spin on the full 30amps. He came back with a look of amazement and pleasure on his face that said everything.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
.I let him take my bbshd for a spin on the full 30amps. He came back with a look of amazement and pleasure on his face that said everything.
but would they swap their bikes for yours though?

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
but would they swap their bikes for yours though?
I reckon he would love too.but they were responsible folk obidient to the law so wouldnt im sure. im just saying i think they believed shop bought readymade bikes were as powerful as existed.

i still use my bbs01 but dont really need 2 bikes. If i cld do it again, i realise now with the HD u can have best of both worlds. Power on one day and run it on a lower setting another,for a longer range ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

paulc1976

Pedelecer
May 22, 2014
Thanks for all the help guys. I’ve just ordered a BBSHD and 15ah 30Q battery from Electron cycles. I am in the same position at you minexplorer. I am going to source a decent used hybrid, fit the BBS01 to that and sell it. I’ll just have a few eco power levels on the HD if I want to do longer rides.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Thanks for all the help guys. I’ve just ordered a BBSHD and 15ah 30Q battery from Electron cycles. I am in the same position at you minexplorer. I am going to source a decent used hybrid, fit the BBS01 to that and sell it. I’ll just have a few eco power levels on the HD if I want to do longer rides.
you wont be dissapointed.i gave my bike a good run on the approx power of a 18amp 350w bbs01.basically my pas 2 setting of 13amps with the 52v battery. At 60% keep current ,chunky mtb tyres,good mix of on an off road, hills and a fair few blasts of WOT which couldnt be helped...im lazy. Range was 28miles from a full charge.same batt as you are buying.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
you wont be dissapointed.i gave my bike a good run on the approx power of a 18amp 350w bbs01.basically my pas 2 setting of 13amps with the 52v battery. At 60% keep current ,chunky mtb tyres,good mix of on an off road, hills and a fair few blasts of WOT which couldnt be helped...im lazy. Range was 28miles from a full charge.same batt as you are buying.
I still need twice that range (on the road) to get me to my favorite bars and back... :rolleyes: A 250 W motor and a 12S 44.4 v battery of moderate size will get me that range. And the smiles, the GSM at 44.4 v is quite a pusher!

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I still need twice that range (on the road) to get me to my favorite bars and back... :rolleyes: A 250 W motor and a 12S 44.4 v battery of moderate size will get me that range. And the smiles, the GSM at 44.4 v is quite a pusher!
Luckily my favorite spoons r all within a 20 mile round trip...spesh the coinage hall at helston:p. if I had only one bike..bbshd, I'd hav a big triangle battery for it. As it is I hav my 36v bbs01 350w for my longer distance excursions . I fitted it with a 2nd battery (30ah 10s11p)gives me 40miles range maxed out.more if I toned down the settings.

paulc1976

Pedelecer
May 22, 2014
Thanks for the info minexplorer. I do like to do longer distances, up to 40 miles ish so I'll be looking to get another battery for the BBSHD eventually, maybe a rack one so I can switch over between them on longer rides. I would keep the BBS01 same as you but need to raise some cash to pay for the BBSHD. I guess if I tone down the power then ~28 miles is pretty good.

My brother is looking for a fast commuter set up and he's considering the BBSHD, he's going to try mine out and see how he gets on. He's also considering a 48v hub drive but I'm not sure about hills compared the HD (nothing too serious, 12 miles each way and a few hills - nothing too serious). He does want the ability to do 30 mph on the flat though.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Thanks for the info minexplorer. I do like to do longer distances, up to 40 miles ish so I'll be looking to get another battery for the BBSHD eventually, maybe a rack one so I can switch over between them on longer rides. I would keep the BBS01 same as you but need to raise some cash to pay for the BBSHD. I guess if I tone down the power then ~28 miles is pretty good.
Getting a 2nd pannier mount batt in 52v may prove hard , 52v doesnt seem to be that popular in uk.

i dont know if the bbshd is just more efficient at higher amps .But you dont seem to get as great an increased range as ud think,halving the amp draw. Ie ,run 25-30 amps get 20 miles. Run 13amps get 28 miles not 40.

paulc1976

Pedelecer
May 22, 2014
I’ll probably end up buying another battery the same and just strap it to the back of my bike rack, this will be further down the line when I have more money! Thank you for the guidance regarding the mileage figures, I suspect I will get similar figures as the terrain is pretty variable.

The kit was fitted last night and I managed a quick run on it, absolutely brilliant and makes the BBS01 feel very tame in comparison. I did not realise that the Lekkie bling ring from my old set up was incompatible so I’ve had to order a new one, I was running it with the stock 46T chainring which is not ideal. Hopefully it will be even better with the new chainring.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
52v batteries are not legal as per EN 15194 on the road so the market for them is likely limited.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
i dont know if the bbshd is just more efficient at higher amps .But you dont seem to get as great an increased range as ud think,halving the amp draw. Ie ,run 25-30 amps get 20 miles. Run 13amps get 28 miles not 40.
I expect the reason being is, the BBSHD is designed for high amp output so running at very low amps battery energy is being wasted. The motor is running at less then optimal performance and most likely not as efficient as it should be .

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I expect the reason being is, the BBSHD is designed for high amp output so running at very low amps battery energy is being wasted. The motor is running at less then optimal performance and most likely not as efficient as it should be .
i reakon ur right nealh.slouching back on the thing making no effort to peddle, jus WOT 30 mph. An its not much less economical than when im peddling and running at 18 amps

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I’ll probably end up buying another battery the same and just strap it to the back of my bike rack, this will be further down the line when I have more money! Thank you for the guidance regarding the mileage figures, I suspect I will get similar figures as the terrain is pretty variable.

The kit was fitted last night and I managed a quick run on it, absolutely brilliant and makes the BBS01 feel very tame in comparison. I did not realise that the Lekkie bling ring from my old set up was incompatible so I’ve had to order a new one, I was running it with the stock 46T chainring which is not ideal. Hopefully it will be even better with the new chainring.
UUGH that stock ring....or is it a manhole cover?.i didnt even un pack it.ordered e cycles 42t lekkie copy with the kit. be interesting what mpg figures u get. I think u be supprised how far it goes on WOT. See nealh s comment .

rilot

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2017
Wargrave, UK
My BBSHD seems to be using about 0.3Ah/km at the moment with a 52V pack, giving me about a 50km max range with my 15Ah of Samsung 30Qs.
That's with a fat bloke at the controls (me) and towing my son on his tag-a-long.