Upgrading from Giant Twist Esprit Power

Chris the Sheep

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2013
I’m likely to be upgrading my current bike (a Giant Twist Esprit Power) in a few months, and I’m looking for a few tips / thoughts about my options.

I’ve done around 8000 miles on the Giant, mostly commuting, and it’s been great – but now I’ve had a couple of years’ experience of riding a pedelec I think my needs are a little bit clearer – and of course the market’s moved on since then.

I live in Blackpool and my commute is mostly flat, the main reason for using an electric bike is to deal with headwinds and to help mix with traffic. I’m 50, in good health, and I ride a conventional bike as well if the weather’s favourable; I’m no athlete, but I ride a pedelec because it makes sense, not for any health or age reasons.

As well as wind, there’s a lot of sand around here especially if I use the promenade.

The Giant has been utterly reliable (give or take a few broken spokes, but that’s not specific to the bike) and still gives me a 30 mile range on full power so there’s plenty of life left in it yet. It’s just as a bike it’s a bit ponderous; the torque sensor relies on springs which make the pedals very spongy if I’m pressing on – and with a tailwind I frequently ride above the cut-off speed.

The hub drive is fine, but it’s an absolute pain in the backside to remove the front wheel and the distributed nature of the components means that there’s lots of cables everywhere. They’re routed internally where possible but it’s still messy and that’s one reason I’m drawn to a crank drive.

Finally, the brakes are conventional v-brakes, and they eat pads. I upgraded them from the original Tektro which made a big difference, but they’re still inadequate and need adjusting frequently.

Requirements and preferences for a new bike include:

· Hub gears (because of the sand)

· Preference for an Alfine 8 hub but will be OK with a Nexus 8.

· Rigid front forks (will accept suspension if it’s good quality – the chrome is vulnerable to corrosion)

· Hydraulic brakes – prefer disc but will consider Magura rim brakes.

· Torque sensing

· Ride-able without power or above the cut-off (I know that one’s subjective, what I mean here is it needs to feel like a normal bike with no sponginess, but I accept it will be heavy).

· Must be able to withstand harsh conditions, i.e. wet, sand, salt spray etc. This is a big ask and I know any bike will corrode somewhere, I’m talking here about well-sealed electrics and bearings.

· Needs mudguards, lights and rack.

I haven’t got any preference for drive system but examples I’ve seen include:

· Kalkhoff Agattu Premium Impulse 8 – because of the belt drive

· Kalkhoff Pro Connect Impulse Alfine 8G (£300 cheaper than the Agattu, not sure why)

· Scott E-SUB Speed – uses Shimano Steps with Alfine Di2 (no rack fitted).

There’s also a plethora of Bosch bikes out there and I admit I’m overwhelmed with the choice!

Of the above examples things I’m unsure about include:

· What’s the difference between the two Kalkhoffs apart from the belt drive? Do they ride differently? Belt appeals for the sandy conditions.

· Any idea what support will be in place for the Shimano system? Giant are a bit of a pain; they don’t deal direct with the public and point you at dealers who have no interest in electric bikes. I'm aware of the service available from 50Cycles for Kalkhoff.

I admit I’m drawn to the Scott because of how it looks plus the rigid forks, but lack of a rack and somewhat gimmicky lights (built into the mudguards) are downsides. However, the Di2 appeals to my love of gadgetry and I expect would overcome one of the weaknesses of an Alfine hub, which is that the cable can freeze in the winter. The Scott's battery is significantly lower capacity than the Kalkhoffs but should be fine for my 20-mile return trip to work.

One final thing – I’m happy to spend up to £2400 but would need interest free credit available online. This bike will be my main commuter and needs to be good.

Thanks!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Whatever you do, try out the crank systems before buying, they are more radically different from hub motor e-bikes to ride than you might suspect, and for some it's a Marmite thing.

I like both and have owned both together, but I have to adopt very different riding styles for each. You might prefer crank drive after trying one since they can be more bicycle like, but on the other hand you might hate them.

Chris the Sheep

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2013
Whatever you do, try out the crank systems before buying, they are more radically different to ride than you might suspect, and for some it's a Marmite thing.

I like both and have owned both together, but I have to adopt very different riding styles for each.
Good point, I don't think there's anywhere local to me but I have family in Leicestershire so should be able to call in at 50 Cycles before I commit.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That would be ideal, you may be able to try the two you are interested in and experience for yourself what the difference is between the two.

The name of the director in charge at Loughborough is coincidentally Scott, but no connection with that bike model you are also interested in!

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Or save a lot of money and get a hub geared rear wheel and keep using your Giant. It's still good with years of life and for the flat there's no significant improvement in performance with a new bike.

Chris the Sheep

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2013
Or save a lot of money and get a hub geared rear wheel and keep using your Giant. It's still good with years of life and for the flat there's no significant improvement in performance with a new bike.
D8ve - the Giant already has a hub gear (Nexus 7) - the main issue I have with the bike is the very spongy pedals - even riding assisted it can be unpleasant if I'm pressing on. I'm assuming of course that a more modern torque sensor will be far less intrusive, and would be interested to know whether that's the case.

By the way, I'm hoping to pass my Giant onto my brother-in-law, who's in his seventies, had two hip replacements, and still just about gets around on a normal bike.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I have had a few Panasonic crank drives and never felt they were spongy.
Just three settings 20 years younger,20 again and liar?

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk

· Kalkhoff Pro Connect Impulse Alfine 8G (£300 cheaper than the Agattu, not sure why)
I have the Pro Connect Impulse 2 with the Algine 8G. It's a 2014 model and it doesn't look like they are updating it this year. I suspect if they did they would have gone with the belt drive and maybe discs but other than that, any other changes would probably be mainly cosmetic.

I personally love the bike. It's done 2000 miles and rides perfectly. The motor assist is very strong. The gear changes are smooth when they are set up properly (easy to adjust yourself as things stretch). The battery is a real winner though (although as i've mentioned before that I had a new one under warranty so they are not indestructible).

My experience with other Pedelecs is limited to say the least but I thought i'd go for the most solid and impressive machine I could afford. I'm sure you would be happy with something that costs less money but it's a great great bike..!

Oh and is it rideable without power? Well, as much as any bike that weighs in around 24kgs. My legs aren't as powerful as they will be the more I ride this year but I do spells of the Bristol to Bath cycle path with no assist when I have some extra energy but generally, i'm in Eco as much as I can and power when the hills start or when I need a quick get away. The range is impressive when you're mixing it up like this so you may find you end up riding further than you're currently used to..

Chris the Sheep

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2013
Thanks Steve - sounds good.
I ride the Giant in max power all the time, not because I need to but adding extra input through the pedals is just unpleasant! There's still plenty of range for my needs but it would be great to have more in reserve.

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
I
· What’s the difference between the two Kalkhoffs apart from the belt drive? Do they ride differently? Belt appeals for the sandy conditions.
Thanks!

Its interesting that these two bikes are so similar. So far as I can see the first is belt drive with a Nexus hub and has a lock fitted. The second is chain drive with an Alfine hub and does not have a lock incorporated.Both have the same rim brakes.

The cheaper bike seems to have the better, and more expensive hub .The Alfine can be used with disc brakes, but the Nexus cannot, but in any case these two bikes both have rim brakes. The Alfine looks to cost about £20 more than the Nexus. Bike Radar say that of Alfine "It’s smoother, has a higher-quality feel and looks to be robust enough to go for years".

The Agattu is available in a wider range of sizes, and also has a step through version, but if the Pro connect has one suitable to you that doesn't matter.

Maybe you should ask 50 cycles why the price difference?

Chris the Sheep

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2013
Thanks for the replies so far; am I right in thinking that all of these bikes should be pretty sound from a weatherproofing point of view?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The crank drive units of this type are the best e-bikes for water resistance. Having so much of the system integrated in a sealed crankcase makes them automatically more waterproof than bikes with scattered components and numerous interconnections.

I've ridden an Agattu with the Panasonic unit through water with the whole unit immersed with no problems then or later. Only my feet got soaked.

Reactions: Chris the Sheep

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've ridden a spring design torque sensor bike.

It wasn't a Giant, but I agree with Chris the springiness in the pedals is an odd sensation and one I wouldn't want on a bike of mine.

There's no spring in the pedals of a Bosch bike and I doubt there's any in the other modern designs.

As regards weather proofing, Bosch describe their system as splash proof.

I've ridden one of my Bosch bikes through water deep enough to reach the bottom bracket.

No harm done, although employing a car technique, I created a bow wave and was determined to keep a steady pace, even at the cost of wet feet.

Pedalling a Bosch bike unassisted is a dead loss.

There is some resistance, whatever Bosch say, and 20kg+ of bike is just too heavy to pedal for any distance.

The weight also wrecks the freewheel at slow speeds - stop pedalling and the bike comes to rest much quicker than an ordinary push bike.

Conversely, the weight seems to improve the freewheel at higher speeds.

I routinely catch other cyclists when freewheeling down a hill.

As I bowl past, not pedalling, they are no doubt convinced I have a throttle and it's wide open.

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
Conversely, the weight seems to improve the freewheel at higher speeds.

I routinely catch other cyclists when freewheeling down a hill.

As I bowl past, not pedalling, they are no doubt convinced I have a throttle and it's wide open.
Cycling over a mountain in Spain some years ago with some friends we found ourselves passing a very obese Dutch gentleman carrying a huge amount of luggage, with a very heavy bike, and a saddle that looked more like a mattress. He was scarcely moving and we wondered at his balance skills. We stopped for refreshments at the top and then set of down. Part way down he came past at a phenomenal speed, must have been around 50mph, because we were doing 30 - 40 and he went past us like a dose of salts. We never thought he was using any power other than gravity!

D

Deleted member 4366

The heavier you are, the faster you go downhill. It's simple physics. You have more force to overcome the air resistance; however, it doesn't help to be too wide because air resistance will increase.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
The Agattu is available in a wider range of sizes, and also has a step through version, but if the Pro connect has one suitable to you that doesn't matter.

Maybe you should ask 50 cycles why the price difference?
Hello, the price difference is partly the belt drive and Premium LCD display on the Agattu and partly that the Pro Connect Alfine is the 2014 model.

Osho

Pedelecer
Jan 13, 2015
Bournemouth
I rode from Sandbanks to Bournemouth at the weekend along the promenade that runs along the beach and sand still covers parts of the path. Every time I rode over sandy parts I was reminded of what it was like to ski over icy patches and I briefly felt very out of control. The tyres on my Tasman Impulse are meant for the road not sandy conditions so not the bikes fault. Perhaps the tyres on your Giant are more able to handle the conditions or perhaps it's just me.

Chris the Sheep

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2013
I rode from Sandbanks to Bournemouth at the weekend along the promenade that runs along the beach and sand still covers parts of the path. Every time I rode over sandy parts I was reminded of what it was like to ski over icy patches and I briefly felt very out of control. The tyres on my Tasman Impulse are meant for the road not sandy conditions so not the bikes fault. Perhaps the tyres on your Giant are more able to handle the conditions or perhaps it's just me.
I'm just very familiar with the routes and know where the sand collects; doesn't take much to send the bike flying!

My main problem with sand is that when the surface is wet the resulting spray contains grains that get everywhere; it doesn't need much for that to happen.

Nationwide eBikes

Just Joined
Mar 25, 2015
Hi Chris: Have you had a look at the Gepida Reptila 1000 as looking at your requirements it should meet all your needs.
£1895 with free Delivery
Gepida Reptila 1000 shimano.jpg