Very disappointing start....

ScottA

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2017
Essex
Rushed home from London to collect my new bike - wasn't sure I'd make it but they were still there 10 minutes after closing. I was like a kid at Christmas!!

Unfortunately on the journey home there was an obvious grinding bearing sensation through the crank - can't hear anything but you can feel it through the pedals particularly in top gear. It happens at a specific point of rotation and there was one audible click at one point.

I am disappointed - whilst I know it has a years warranty it has immediately shook my confidence about the bikes longevity.

I'm wondering whether I should just return it tomorrow for a refund and buy a traditional brand bike instead.

It goes like a rocket and is a lot of fun but not quite the 'Woosh' I was hoping for!

I don't want to be constantly worrying - appreciate any thoughts

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What make and model is it? It's not possible to comment without knowing that at least.

D

Deleted member 4366

It sounds like the chain is rubbing on the front derailleur. That's a very simple adjustment. You need to tell us what bike it is to confirm.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

ScottA

Jun 6, 2017
Essex
Woosh Rio MTB

Actually having rotated the crank counterclockwise the pedals feel really 'notchy' (overtightened?) so I'm wondering whether it's this I can feel?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
ScottA,

The bottom bracket has external ball bearings, it is quite easy to sort out if it's one of the bearings that gives you trouble.
Take the chain off the ring and turn the cranks by hand. Does it feel notchy?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Woosh Rio MTB

Actually having rotated the crank counterclockwise the pedals feel really 'notchy' (overtightened?) so I'm wondering whether it's this I can feel?
the bottom bracket prob cost about 5 quid so you cant expect much from something that cheap parts wise.

if you spend 20-30 quid on a new one you will feel it when peddling as will have alot better bearings ;)

• Dislike
Reactions: mike killay

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the bottom bracket prob cost about 5 quid so you cant expect much from something that cheap parts wise.
SW, it's a GXP crankset, it costs about £65.

D

Deleted member 4366

You shouldn't try to pedal backwards on a bike with derailleur gears because there's nothing to guide the chain onto the sprockets, so it will fall in between and run rough, especially if you try it in top gear wherethe chain has the greatest angle to the sprocket. I would have thought that your problem when pedaĺing forward is simple rear derailleur adjustment.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh Rio MTB

those VP pedals can feel notchy when new.
Put a bit of grease into the ballbearings - they will run much better in a few days.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
and that is 15 quid more :)
that's the trouble from having bikes made in Tianjin. You don't have access to all the stuff you have in Europe. The Ounce 245A is about the best I can find in China.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
cant you buy the bikes and just say i dont want this and that then fit better stuff to them when shipped here?

it will push the price up a bit but parts will last longer have there own warranty and sram is a nice name on a bike :)
Asian Headquarters
Taichung, Taiwan
SRAM Taiwan
No. 1598-8 Chung Shan Road
Shen Kang Dist.,
Taichung City, 42955 Taiwan R.O.C.
Phone: +886-4-2521-3688
Fax: +886-4-2561-3686

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
cant you buy the bikes and just say i dont want this and that then fit better stuff to them when shipped here?

it will push the price up a bit but parts will last longer have there own warranty and sram is a nice name on a bike :)
Asian Headquarters
Taichung, Taiwan
SRAM Taiwan
No. 1598-8 Chung Shan Road
Shen Kang Dist.,
Taichung City, 42955 Taiwan R.O.C.
Phone: +886-4-2521-3688
Fax: +886-4-2561-3686
that's not necessary. You can get what you want imported from Taiwan but SRAM parts for example takes 4 months to import, so it has to be organised well in advance. It also adds to cost.
We have never had any trouble with the GXP crankset, the problem could be somewhere else. It is a bit like the noise from your headset.
If you want posh parts here, unless you want to pay CRC price, you still need to wait for imported parts.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id just get a decent bb and sram crank set from crc and stick 100 quid on the asking price ;)

or you could have it as a upgrade option on ur site as no other ebikes in that range has sram anything or anywhere near it :)

ScottA

Jun 6, 2017
Essex
ScottA,

The bottom bracket has external ball bearings, it is quite easy to sort out if it's one of the bearings that gives you trouble.
Take the chain off the ring and turn the cranks by hand. Does it feel notchy?
Ok - I removed the chain, sat on the bike and pedalled - no graunchy feeling at all so doesn't appear to be crank or pedals.

I went out on bike again and there's definitely something going on.

That's as far as I can go as I dont know what I'm doing with derallier gears plus you actually built the bike!

I'm only local so will drop it in tomorrow for you to look at/sort out.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
id just get a decent bb and sram crank set from crc and stick 100 quid on the asking price ;)

or you could have it as a upgrade option on ur site as no other ebikes in that range has sram anything or anywhere near it :)
I wish I could!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Ok - I removed the chain, sat on the bike and pedalled - no graunchy feeling at all so doesn't appear to be crank or pedals.

That's as far as I can go as I dont know what I'm doing with derallier gears plus you actually built the bike!

it just might be the rear mech is out of whack a bit and needs indexing/adjusting then ;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Thanks, I'll sort it for you tomorrow.

Reactions: flecc