Very disappointing start....

ScottA

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2017
Essex
Been out on it again - slaughtered Pier Hill. Hilarious fun! No way I'm giving this up!! I know initial post may have seemed like over reaction but I've never owned pedelec before let alone spent 4 figures on a bike.

Still feels like something crank related - find out tomorrow

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
question would you have paid a extra 135 quid for a sram crank set bottom bracket and sram rear mech/shifter if it was fitted to the bike?

ScottA

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2017
Essex
question would you have paid a extra 135 quid for a sram crank set bottom bracket and sram rear mech/shifter if it was fitted to the bike?
Honestly? I wouldn't know the benefit. I was originally looking at the Karoo which is a great looking and cost effective bike but it just didn't have any grunt (read that as traditional bike experience). A grand was my limit and the Rio certainly gave the performance I expected from a pedelec in fact much more so - it really does take off like a scalded cat but to be fair, I don't have anything else to compare it with. I looked at weight, style, battery capacity and range plus motor make. It looked and still looks best value to me as a newbie.

So short answer, no I wouldn't - I didn't consider it

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it would shift gears a bit better with a matched shifter mech the bottom bracket bearings would last longer look better and a bit less waight ;)

tho any bike shop could upgrade these parts if you wanted ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Honestly? I wouldn't know the benefit. I was originally looking at the Karoo which is a great looking and cost effective bike but it just didn't have any grunt (read that as traditional bike experience). A grand was my limit and the Rio certainly gave the performance I expected from a pedelec in fact much more so - it really does take off like a scalded cat but to be fair, I don't have anything else to compare it with. I looked at weight, style, battery capacity and range plus motor make. It looked and still looks best value to me as a newbie.

So short answer, no I wouldn't - I didn't consider it
Don't worry about the parts used on your bike, they will work perfectly well and reliably once adjusted properly. It's very common for some adjustments to be needed in the initial miles.

I'm sure you'll be smiling before Friday's passed.

Last edited:

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
The thing to bear in mind is a purchaser has a budget. Upgrade crank £x extra, the what about the brakes £y extra. Oh the saddle isn't right. Extra extra extra. Suddenly the budget has been well and truly blown.

Let the OP get his bike tweeked so it runs ok. Then after a while upgrade anything he's not happy with. I bet he'll be happy with it as it is.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
it would shift gears a bit better with a matched shifter mech the bottom bracket bearings would last longer look better and a bit less waight ;)

tho any bike shop could upgrade these parts if you wanted ;)
Its fine line Woosh and their competitors walk in £1000 price bracket. Most buyers in this price bracket care more about price than component spec. They are not willing to pay another £100 -200 for XT level components when Tiagra level work fine even if they are bit more clunky or brakes need a bit more effort.
As long as the bike flattens hills and can stop then they are happy.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
less prophet better parts = less hassle in the long run is the way i see it :)

it will also be a plus if you have to sell it on any time soon with half decent drive train :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sadly the OP instead of shouting from the roof top should have just quietly contacted Woosh arranged for the bike to be looked at being local to them, then come and shout from the roof top. Then he could have praised the CS, new bikes will have small niggles that are easily sorted.
Don't forget when you visit tomorrow to take a bag of doughnuts with you, then if you are on best behaviour you might get a cup of tea as well.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Sadly the OP instead of shouting from the roof top should have just quietly contacted Woosh arranged for the bike to be looked at being local to them, then come and shout from the roof top. Then he could have praised the CS, new bikes will have small niggles that are easily sorted.
its not like ppl have spent 2-3k on a bike tho and the shop cant even put a chain on the right way round and make it to short so it snapped every time and then blame the bike as it is not meant to use the 2 top gears on the rear :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: Mal69

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That's as far as I can go as I dont know what I'm doing with derallier gears plus you actually built the bike!
Scott,

Have you adjusted the gear cable?

It happens often that a brand new bike needs to have the tension of the gear shift cable adjusted slightly, due to settling in storage. It can make graunchy noise if the cable is not perfectly adjusted.

If you have not done so, the information is on page 11 of the maintenance manual.

Typically, select gear 8, next, you need to turn the cable adjustment barrel anti-clockwise first about half a turn, a bit more or a bit less until the chain runs smoothly.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Scott,

It happens often that a brand new bike needs to have the tension of the gear shift cable adjusted slightly, due to settling in storage. It can make graunchy noise if the cable is not perfectly adjusted.

If you have not done so, the information is on page 11 of the maintenance manual.

Typically, select gear 8, next, you need to turn the cable adjustment barrel anti-clockwise first about half a turn, a bit more or a bit less until the chain runs smoothly.
best he just take the bike in as you need a work stand to index the gears right or he will just make it worse tbh.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, when Scott brings the bike in, I will check his bike, it won't take long to adjust his gears.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yes, when Scott brings the bike in, I will check his bike, it won't take long to adjust his gears.
show him how to do it even better is get him to do it with you showing him what to adjust and why :)

• Agree
Reactions: ScottA

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
show him how to do it even better is get him to do it with you showing him what to adjust and why :)
I usually fix problems while talking to the owner in the workshop if it's a quick job.
(not if I need a hammer).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
when my xd hub broke and could not remove it my lbs said the vice is there if i want to try rip it off my self as said not willing to bust a 500 quid wheel pmsl.

it took 3 of us to get it off hammers included and every other tool we could jam under it to lever the fkn thing off ;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
we tend to do often the reverse, yesterday, Philip was in charge of bolting a rack on a Rio MTB, Andy fetched the allen bolts, Jim held our cups of tea and I was the lookout in case Hatti walked into Andy's workshop. We took 15 minutes to fit 4 bolts to a rack.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Scott,

I'm impressed, most bike manuals are full of warnings only and nothing useful.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
thank you TM.
It's amazing that something as important as gears has not benefited from the digital revolution and still rely on cable and thumb screws.