Very disappointing start....

ScottA

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2017
Essex
I'm all lubed up! No better, no worse - gut feeling is still that it's bottom bracket related so as I'll have to do maintenance as I go along anyway I'll buy a bottom bracket tool and check out the bearings and crank.

I've been doing a lot of reading about pedelec systems etc. and the whole thing now holds no mystery or fear - even the SWX02 is easy to split so much more chilled. I tightened the front wheel quick release the other day and the front hub bearing is very slightly notchy when turning the spindle by hand so I may just have the whole thing apart and grease all the bearings

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you don't need any special tool to remove a GXP bottom bracket.
You can unscrew the external ball bearings by hand.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
As a rider of an old ebike,i see the need to repair anything that breaks,often buying cheap tools to enable the repair,but if i had a new bike under warranty,i would not be repairing anything,i would expect the bike to be faultless,and the seller to put right any problems.

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
As a rider of an old ebike,i see the need to repair anything that breaks,often buying cheap tools to enable the repair,but if i had a new bike under warranty,i would not be repairing anything,i would expect the bike to be faultless,and the seller to put right any problems.
To be fair Woosh have checked it over and ridden it and not found a fault. So what more can be done?
Has the OP checked his tyre pressures? I found when mine were low they had that sensation too, 55-60psi is best for the tyres on the rio.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Scott, I think Volusia may have put his finger on it.
That would explain the difference between your bike and the demo one.

ScottA

Jun 6, 2017
Essex
Tyres at 50psi and no change. But performance isn't suffering as another blinding trip to my mums nursing home today and I posted 4th fastest time for Vicarage Hill this year on Strava and 16th of all time (out of 902) lol! I'm 5 seconds off number 1 for this year so balls out next Saturday hehe!

Will pull the cups off when I get a chance, see what they feel like and go from there.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Tyres at 50psi and no change. But performance isn't suffering as another blinding trip to my mums nursing home today and I posted 4th fastest time for Vicarage Hill this year on Strava and 16th of all time (out of 902) lol! I'm 5 seconds off number 1 for this year so balls out next Saturday hehe!

Will pull the cups off when I get a chance, see what they feel like and go from there.
Make your Strava rides ebike rides, do not interfere with peoples hard earned achivements!

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I could have (and have had momentarily as I don't use Strava when riding but my other app syncs after the ride then I change it) all of the KOMs in this area of the Alps when I do a fast ride. Not so quick today with 1700m of climbing in a 47km ride but there would still have been some trophies in there. The guy I was riding with uses Strava and is a real athlete on a non powered bike, he knows I use Strava but was so happy when I told him what I do and recounted tales of ebike riders destroying segments for real MTB riders where he comes from in Holland.
And some of us wonder why people hate ebikers!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
And some of us wonder why people hate ebikers!
I am very good at listing my ebike rides correctly, but only use Strava when riding the eMTB, as a way of sharing my rides with friends an nothing more. I did forget a day or so ago, and within minutes a local rider contacted me to ask if I used an ebike. I was quick to apologise, and changed the setting.

It is a different story when I am out on the pedal mtb, and I worked very hard to get the one and only KOM that I gained, but recently lost.
It was a one mile long segment that was a mix of both down hill and up, and took more months than I care to remember to get.
I spent a lot of time working out what to do, when to ride it, even down to the fact that my mtb was faster in the wet than the dry, and that I was faster at riding at night time, than day. It wasn't until one dark wet and rainy night that everything fell into place and I got it. I held it for nearly a year, but recently lost in by quite some margin to a club rider. I risked a lot to get it, including not bothering to stop at a T junction at the end, figuring that I would see any car lights approaching the junction. I shan't be trying to get it back, as I just have nothing left in reserve to get it.

Another example is shown in the FB link below, from a ride yesterday evening. I know that I shall never get the KOM for this .8 of a mile climb, as most of the riders in the top ten are the best part of 30years, younger, one is an ex semi pro road rider, some race CX at club level, and all are seemingly very fast. My goal is just to get into the top ten.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KTMmountainbikefanpage/permalink/731648707019859/

When using the eMTB, and can easily halve my current mtb time.

Reactions: chris_n

ScottA

Jun 6, 2017
Essex
So here's the thing. I installed Strava because I'd seen FB friends posting their runs. I looked it up, saw it did bike rides as well and just installed it.

When I first went to record it gave me the option of run or bike. Clearly I have no pretentions of bring some supercyclist. When I chequered flagged the first run the segment comparisons with other users where both an unexpected surprise and eye opener about how slow I was everywhere...apart from the one advantage on Vicarage Hill.

Therefore had you have simply asked if I knew there was an ebike category guess what my answer would have been?

No.

And that is because, actually, I DIDN'T KNOW!

Having now dug through I see that via manual activity record there are indeed shedload of different categories including ebike (the last on the list).

I do find it slightly amusing that a few of you must've taken the time to go rooting logs and then become outraged at this mistake though!

I am sorry my two ride records have destabilized and brought chaos to the entire ranking system and achievements of cyclists everywhere in the Essex area.

PS I am genuinely in awe of whoever got up Vicarage Hill segment in 1'20" - incredible.

Last edited:
Reactions: VictoryV and Gaz

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I did that once with the Birdy in the back of the car. It took a while to work it out.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
On a segment in the Surrey hills I noticed my ebke segament was about 20th fastest, then notice d the top three, #1 was 180 odd mph sounds like the Hyabusa was used and the next two were in the 90's. It was seeing them that made my mind up that Strava is ******* so now I don't really bother with it.

• :D
Reactions: ScottA and Gaz

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
Downloaded the app after reading these posts. It seems its nearly all running routes near me, Cant find a way to only show cycling routes.

ScottA

Jun 6, 2017
Essex
A-ha! Think I may have found the problem. I mentioned a click on an earlier post and have noticed it a little more as you stop pedalling hard.

Pulled the crank arm sideways yesterday and there is a distinct knock - bit like a clock - noise when you pull the crank arm away from frame then back towards it (fair bit of effort required). There is detectable lateral motion too. This could well be it

Video:

Just as a minor extra slap in the face I had a little difficulty getting the battery out at work and as it released I heard something ping to the floor. Then I noticed a missing screw from the the top power plug/locating plate. See the obvious black hole on the pic. Sods law no sign of the screw on the floor but will have another look on way out. Might stick some thread lock on it to stop another loss.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Scott, your video does not play for me, some privacy setting perhaps got in the way.
There are two M5 crank bolts on the left crank arm.
If you pop in our shop, I'll replace the lost screw for you and check the crank bolts at the same time.

Reactions: VictoryV

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I had another look at ScottA's bike this afternoon.

the graunchy feel may come from the friction between the magnet disc and the ball bearing.

Scott, could you put a little bit of grease in between the two? I thought of adding a bit of grease but Scott collected his bike just before.