Help! Voilamart 26” front hub looking for repair

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
I don’t mind trying even if I don’t get anywhere but I believe I will .
But the case as we’ve now discovered that there were 3 wires with split insulation so almost def a short.
I've repaired 3 damaged cables. I won't do any more. It's quite difficult to get the wire through the axle. It should be easy to solder the wires after cutting off the damaged bit, but in practice, it's difficult to get at the phase wire joints, and after you've soldered them, it's difficult to get everything back in place such that nothing rubs. In OP's case, his motor cable probably isn't long enough, so he'd have to buy some sort of extension and splice it in.

After all that, he still has to replace all the hall sensors and repair the PCB
Read my posts. Bring yourself up to date. Other guy did find source if a short and repaired them so 10 points to you . Please can we move on now . I work all day . I’m at a stop cos I want to be sure of the cables to be tested fir mosfet check . I’ve posted photo but no reply yET

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If the guy has already repaired the cable, then you have a chance, but everything is so vague. Can't you ask the guy what he actually did? I must admit that the routing of the phase wires doesn't look like it was done in the factory.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
All of you need to know that it was a relatively gentle drop out I was only walking it off the kerb . And the wiring was twisted a little . There was no major tug that would have affected the cable inside the hub the cable is do tight fitting through the axle . And I learnt that he found shorts immediately outside the hub . Nothing likely inside nothing likely apart from immediate area outside the hub . And I’ve done a bloody beep test . let’s move on To mosfets and board

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
If the guy has already repaired the cable, then you have a chance, but everything is so vague. Can't you ask the guy what he actually did? I must admit that the routing of the phase wires doesn't look like it was done in the factory.
Look let me provide more history .
the bike is a giant suede . It had a change to the voilamart kit as apparently the original had a controller problem . Who did the upgrade ? No idea I bought it from the person after he guy that upgraded . Why did he install it that way ? No idea What do I know ? It worked great . What do I know now that I didn’t before ? It had 3 wires near hub to cause a short . So it’s mosfet and PCB time

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes, those three phase wires circled are the one to test do exactly as in the link I posted, disconnect the controller to do it and short the controller v+/v- wires together to discharge the controllers residual voltage hele in the main capacitor.

If any wire was shorted and since been repaired by tour man then there is a very good chance a mosfet or two is damaged.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Yes, those three phase wires circled are the one to test do exactly as in the link I posted, disconnect the controller to do it and short the controller v+/v- wires together to discharge the controllers residual voltage hele in the main capacitor.
Thanks . Hope you’ve seen my last posts . There was almost def a short on the cable just outside the hub the small wires

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
So there was a break in the wires between the controller and the connections in the motor and the guy fixed it some how? Do you know what he did to fix it? Did he do something like feed some of the cable through the axle until the kink was no longer in the axle and then cut the cable off there and then solder all the wires back in their right places? Did he not test the controller at the same time?

Nealh is the one who posted the link for MOSFET testing in situ. He'll probably be around later.
I think all answers in my later posts but to summarise cut and repaired immediately outside hub . Inside intact and anyway Ive done continuity And passed . No other test or Repair except the attempt on the sensors and R2
Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks . Hope you’ve seen my last posts . There was almost def a short on the cable just outside the hub the small wires
Yes the hall sensors which still need replacing with ss41 designation and not the ss49.
Many how too's suggest that ss49 for throttle and ss41 for hub motor.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Yes the hall sensors which still need replacing with ss41 designation and not the ss49.
Many how too's suggest that ss49 for throttle and ss41 for hub motor.
Bit confused by that one Nealh . Fit 3 ss41?
No 49s at all ?
Just to be sure you realise that the 49s were fitted by guy after drop out. but he guessed . No idea which sensors were there before. I do have a throttle

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
ss41 is bipolar and more sensitive to picking up magnet position all BLDC sensored hubs use bipolar halls.
SS49 is linear and more suitable for proximity sensing of magnets like a throttle where the magnet position is usually on or off.

As you have said he made a mess of trying to repair/botch your hub, in your words he guessed but guessed wrong. If he did his homework he would have found many sources describing using bipolar sensors.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
ss41 is bipolar and more sensitive to picking up magnet position all BLDC sensored hubs use bipolar halls.
SS49 is linear and more suitable for proximity sensing of magnets like a throttle where the magnet position is usually on or off.
So still all 41s even though I have a throttle ??

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The throttle magnet likely ss49 linear type has no effect on the hub sensing, the throttle simply sends a signal to the controller to operate the motor.
The halls in the hub sense the hub magnets approx. 20, each one is usually orientated N,S,N,S,N,S etc,etc so it needs to be bipolar to sense them.
The linear hall (throttle) detects either N or S depending on it's orientation.

The halls sense magnets differently so do a different job.
Although most hubs use 5v there is the odd one that uses 12v, ss41 voltage range is 2.5 - 24v approx., SS49 is 2.5 - 6.4v approx.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Mosfet test . Problem I need help please .
which probe do I use for power wires?
red Probe or black probe.
Because If I use red probe on the black and red controller cables then reading of 1 is on The red . If I use black probe on power cables then reading of 1 is on theblack . Think I’m doing something wrong here . Help plz
(The 2 readings I’m getting are 1 and 438)
The readings swap over if I switch the probes

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
The throttle magnet likely ss49 linear type has no effect on the hub sensing, the throttle simply sends a signal to the controller to operate the motor.
The halls in the hub sense the hub magnets approx. 20, each one is usually orientated N,S,N,S,N,S etc,etc so it needs to be bipolar to sense them.
The linear hall (throttle) detects either N or S depending on it's orientation.

The halls sense magnets differently so do a different job.
Although most hubs use 5v there is the odd one that uses 12v, ss41 voltage range is 2.5 - 24v approx., SS49 is 2.5 - 6.4v approx.
Mosfet test . Problem I need help please .
which probe do I use for power wires?
red Probe or black probe.
Because If I use red probe on the black and red controller cables then reading of 1 is on The red . If I use black probe on power cables then reading of 1 is on theblack . Think I’m doing something wrong here . Help plz
(The 2 readings I’m getting are 1 and 438)
The readings swap over if I switch the probes

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I’m at a full stop. Checked mosfets think they’re ok but unsure cos of my questionS in previous post
The mosfets are OK. Your results didn't show anything untoward. the main thing is that each of the three phases should give the same results. Also, I personally don't believe that there's a high chance of them getting damaged during a spin-out anyway.

Your main task is to replace the faulty hall sensors.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
The mosfets are OK. Your results didn't show anything untoward. the main thing is that each of the three phases should give the same results. Also, I personally don't believe that there's a high chance of them getting damaged during a spin-out anyway.

Thanks
So no significance in the fact that readings switched from ground to positive if you Switched around the multimeter probes . Only asked cos it didn’t mention that in the link fir the test

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire

Does this task need flux