Wanted: Looking for fast eBike

paddy112

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2014
Looking for a decent e-bike that will have parts available for it in the future. Would like a decent top speed, minimum 25+.

Need a minimum range of at least 15 miles at full speed the entire way, without any peddling, but a longer range is preferred.

Must be able to peddle and fully use the motor together and have no restrictions whatsoever.

I prefer a mountain bike style frame.

Security features would be an added bonus.

I am in Ireland and a courier can easily be arranged, as I have shipped similar items from the UK to here before using couriers like Fastway etc...

Cash waiting in Paypal for the right bike. Not interested in anything with worn out battery etc.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I have a Woosh Sport CD in classified which almost covers that. It can be made easily to do about that speed and still powered with a simple menu change. But as to doing it all the way on throttle alone.... I'm not sure any e bike that can be bought here will do that for 15 miles, even on the flat.

That's a seriously illegal requirement.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Would like a decent top speed, minimum 25+.

Need a minimum range of at least 15 miles at full speed the entire way, without any peddling, but a longer range is preferred.

Must be able to peddle and fully use the motor together and have no restrictions whatsoever.

I prefer a mountain bike style frame.

Security features would be an added bonus.
This may tick most of your boxes, but you will need to compromise on the mountain bike style frame and the peddling.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Paddy, although we loosely refer to them as e-bikes, they are in fact Electric Assist Pedal Cycles, the law governing them being the EAPC regulations.

So the combination of things you're looking for isn't practical from a legal e-bike. It is possible if you put one together yourself and are prepared to have a fairly heavy battery on board, but not at the £600 you mention in your other post. There's also the odd supplier like Xipi who can sell you a ready made e-bike to do what you want, but it won't be cheap. They don't deliver at a distance though, you'll have to arrange that yourself.

paddy112

Jul 29, 2014
I understand that. Also I am not in the UK and your laws do not apply to me. In reply to the £600 comment you made, I also said in that message I would go higher if necessary, and I know that if I buy a bike someone made up themselves, i.e kit job, I could get it for this kind of money, especially if it is used. So I don't understand why everyone wants to shoot me down.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
So I don't understand why everyone wants to shoot me down.
More pointing you towards a vehicle that suits your requirement of over 25 mph for 15 miles, that'll be the small motorcycle then IMO.

paddy112

Jul 29, 2014
I have a motorcycle. I can get a e-bike similar to my requirements, I don't know a huge amount about these bikes yet, maybe I could go 7.5 miles without peddling and charge at the other end, as I will be spending the full day beside power, and on most days I will be peddling assisting the whole way anyway. I have £600+, and I am not liable to pay 20% VAT, so that bumps up the money. Also I am willing to buy a Chinese kit bike that someone made up themselves.

Your just being A holes.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
It's the low budget that I see as your problem, 25 mph + with no pedalling requires a lot of power and a large expensive battery.

paddy112

Jul 29, 2014
I have a motorcycle. I can get a e-bike similar to my requirements, I don't know a huge amount about these bikes yet, maybe I could go 7.5 miles without peddling and charge at the other end, as I will be spending the full day beside power, and on most days I will be peddling assisting the whole way anyway. I have £600+, and I am not liable to pay 20% VAT, so that bumps up the money. Also I am willing to buy a Chinese kit bike that someone made up themselves.

Your just being A holes.
Example, without being a AH: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000W-48V-ELECTRIC-E-BIKE-BICYCLE-Conversion-MOTOR-Scooter-KIT-20AH-LIFEPO4-/131166066518?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1e8a1b5756

Or a home done UK conversion

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I understand that. Also I am not in the UK and your laws do not apply to me. In reply to the £600 comment you made, I also said in that message I would go higher if necessary, and I know that if I buy a bike someone made up themselves, i.e kit job, I could get it for this kind of money, especially if it is used. So I don't understand why everyone wants to shoot me down.
Flecc would know more than me, but these are EU wide regulations which member states have incorporated into their domestic laws. Is it the case that Ireland allows e bikes like that? Germany has its fast S bikes but even they have to be covered by EU regulation and they are not allowed throttles.

Last edited:

paddy112

Jul 29, 2014
Its an off-road route. Its legal in Ireland, I am aware of the laws that apply to me.

I just really want that top speed a huge battery may not be required, I didn't realize it would, so if I peddle always with the bike, I wont have these complications. Once I can fairly easily maintain nice top speeds I don't mind, I am just learning.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Certainly with moderate pedalling your goal becomes easier. If you go for a large hub motor with a high enough top speed it will then struggle at low speeds up steep hills. Guessing you also have hills to deal with in southern Ireland?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
That bike is located in China, paddy.
You need to wait for it to come by sea, pay import duty, VAT etc.
Where you live, the same EN15194 certificate is required to ride the bike on public roads. 25mph bikes are difficult to make, you have to have hydraulic brakes, direct drive motor and a powerful battery because power consumption sky-rockets with speed (speed to power 3).
Google 'EN15194' then you will be a bit kinder to posters who try to help you get a decent bike for not much money.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Well a Woosh crank drive which has been deregulated by changing the settings on the King Meter can do about 24 mph or so on the flat with power assistance. You'd have to pedal as well though but not that strenuously. The battery should do the milage like that as long as there wasn't a lot of hills on the route.

paddy112

Jul 29, 2014
The route is like Holland, flat the entire way... Just collecting an 80cc petrol bike now... Still getting electric bike though.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Fast e-bikes are usually crank driven because you can use high gear to boost your speed. Once derestricted, you can go as fast as you can pedal.
Kalkhoff have the S-Peledelec that you can buy in the UK:
http://www.50cycles.com/product/613525400
Obviously, this is outside your budget.
The next best way is to build your own with a BBS01 CD kit.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit
Woosh will ship it and battery to any EU country for £15.
Select the 18A version, it has more oomph than the 15A version. It will fit most bikes, easy to fit. If you can undo the bottom bracket then you can fit the kit.
Select a good donor bike that you know you can pedal fast with, something with 2x9 or 2x10 speed is ideal because you can only have one chainring in the front.
The speed is set with the LCD.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Far from trying to shoot you down Paddy, I helpfully linked to one of the very few suppliers of bikes that do meet what you want. And as someone pointed out, the EU laws do apply to you. If the rider can switch to a higher performance/power than that allowed, the bike is illegal at any time you use it on the road or in a public access area, even if switched into restriction. You're even worse off than us in the UK since independent throttles are banned under EU law, we have them in the UK.

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
I have converted my mountain bike with an Ezee kit.
The battery is 48v 11 rather than the 36v and it will do 25mph full throttle with a range of about 10 miles. Peddling will get it to 15 miles I would imagine (but have never tried)

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps