Wavy tyre tread- any fixes??

Auldgit

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2009
Chester
Hi all, just fitted a Schwalbe Marathon front tyre (24 x 1.75) - it looked a bit twisted when I received it, but I had to fit it anyway as the old one had burst good style. Despite all my best efforts the tread is still twisted now it's on the rim, and I've not been able to get the fixing lines anything like equidistant from the rim. It's not affecting the steering too much, but looks awful. I've tried soapy water and inflating to 70 psi, bouncing it round when soft etc etc but to no avail. Is there anything else I can try??

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I'm really struggling to picture what you're talking about. Can you post a photo?

Auldgit

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2009
Chester
Send it back ... ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi yes that would be the obvious answer, and I may well do that, but I've first got to get a replacement otherwise we're off the road....... In the meanwhile I'm trying to improve matters in the short term. Cheers. AG

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes ok I'll take one tomorrow. Cheers. AG
Can you not find a windy roard to ride it on?

Is the widest part (line furthest from the rim) at the valve, in which case you need to loosen the valve first by pushing it in, then clip the tyre in front of the valve before pumping up, i.e. let the air out; push in the valve; push the rim of the tyre into position; pump up.

Auldgit

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2009
Chester
Can you not find a windy roard to ride it on?

Is the widest part (line furthest from the rim) at the valve, in which case you need to loosen the valve first by pushing it in, then clip the tyre in front of the valve before pumping up, i.e. let the air out; push in the valve; push the rim of the tyre into position; pump up.
Hi D8, yes done that, but the fitting line is still all over the place. I suspect I've bought a duff tyre, but was hoping it might straighten itself out when constrained by the rim. I'll know better when the replacement arrives in approx a week. Just hoping to improve matters in the meantime. The original tyres were 24 x 1.95, which I couldn't source, maybe the slightly narrower section doesn't bed down as well in the rim?

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Had a same problem on the folder the front tyre when spun looked all wonky, it finally was the line printed on the wall of the tyre that was all over the place, painted tyre with tyre paint, looks OK now!!!

O B 1

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
... Is there anything else I can try??
Over the past five years I've fitted a lot of tyres, and every time this problem has occured, it's when the tyres were delivered twisted into a figure eight. Tyres that caused least problems were those delivered in a wheel-box...unfolded. Your tyre can be straightened, but it takes a little work.

With the tyre inflated, look around the beadline and mark any sections which are "in" with chalk or crayon. Deflate the tyre and using two tyre levers give the marked section a really good stretch radially outwards away from the rim. Before re-inflating, soap the marked section only. Make a pot of tea and enjoy a cup. Suitably refreshed, and by which time the steel wire beading will have relaxed, it's time to repeat the process. Some of the worst examples I've dealt with have required this process to be repeated four or five times, but they have always run true eventually.

The problem is, when wire beaded tyres are posted folded, the strands of steel wire used in the bead become bent, and can only be reformed into a true circle by the method outlined above. The last five sets of tyres I've purchased online, I've insisted they should not be folded, but sent in a wheel-box or large bag. The exeption being Kevlar or Nylon beaded "folding" tyres.

I would advise caution when inflating tyres to beyond their recommended maximum to straighten the bead. You can get away with doing this to a 10.00 X 20 truck tyre on a steel split rim, but the chances are, on a bicycle rim the braking surface will flare outwards at an acute angle...and stay that way.

Auldgit

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2009
Chester
Thanks a lot for that useful advice- it came (from Amazon) in a big box, but I suspect it has in fact been twisted at some time just as you suggest. It would certainly explain the problem. I've contacted Schwalbe, and they suggest returning it to Amazon, but that's a bit of a pain so I'll try your method first. It's encouraging that you've managed to correct all of them eventually.

As a matter of interest, is there a special type of soap to use?? I've just used handwash liquid so far...

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Yes, I use diluted washing-up liquid, applied with a pastry brush nicked from the kitchen drawer :eek:
Tut tut Bob !! ......I just hope your better half brushes the pastry of your next pie with said pastry brush....that will teach you to use your own tools :p

Lynda :)

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Yes, I use diluted washing-up liquid, applied with a pastry brush nicked from the kitchen drawer :eek:
I stopped doing that when I discovered that most of the cheapy washing -up liquids contain large amounts of salt, as a thickener.
Fairy Liquid might be ok, but I still don't chance it. Swarfega or hand soap will do the job better and not corrode the guts out of your wheel.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I stopped doing that when I discovered that most of the cheapy washing -up liquids contain large amounts of salt, as a thickener.
Fairy Liquid might be ok, but I still don't chance it. Swarfega or hand soap will do the job better and not corrode the guts out of your wheel.
Or shampoo, completely harmless.

Auldgit

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2009
Chester
Swarfega- yes that's a good idea- clean your hands automatically as well! AG

Auldgit

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2009
Chester
Update- I ordered another Schwalbe tyre from Amazon, to replace the twisted one, and lo and behold it too is twisted- even worse than the original. SANY0021 (2).jpgSANY0022 (2).jpg

The supplier says that this is perfectly normal, and that they are "all like that". When I told him that I had unsuccessfully tried to fit one (that was if anything better) his reply was that my wheel must be buckled.......

I'm now going to contact Schwalbe UK again to see what they come up with. AG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can remember posts in here about fundamentally twisted Schwalbe winter tyres. As good as some of their tyres can be, it seems they can have this problem at times.