Wear a helmet folks

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Pleeeaase, not another helmet debate......

This has been done over and over again on the forum.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Most of the words in the OP have been used before but the poster has taken the trouble to arrange them in a slightly different order. Well done!

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
This one really bugs me/eats at my concience but then I guess that is what the pro helmet lobby is hoping it will do sigh....

For the first year of commuting across Cambridge every day I wore a helmet. My wife insisted lol

Then I got her into bikes and and she now rides to school every day. Guess what she does not wear a helmet!

When I asked her she told me she didn't need to as she rode all the way on cycle paths.

I decided to follow suit. I have to say when I took my helmet off it was like a whole world opened up to me. I now cycle with a cap so if my head does get smashed open at least it will be contained within that :p

Some keen road cyclists at work continue to encourage me to wear one giving instances where they came off bikes and claim their head was saved from injury.

I am still unconvinced either way. I think if I was commuting on a busy road I may be tempted to wear one, then again I rode bikes for years as a kid on them and never wore one. They didn't exist!

I find a helmet a pain to carry at either end of the journey and I feel "boxed in" when wearing one.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
I think Jerry puts it well. Every cyclist is exposed to different levels of risk. Each cyclist should be able to weigh the risk against the downside of wearing a helmet. I generally have low risk rides and perceive a large downside to wearing the helmet so I generally don't.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
If I could I'd wear two! ...
HELMUT.jpg

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Has nobody seen the latest news reports about the study that shows that drivers give you more room when not wearing a helmet? Yes it's fact now.

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
I have driven in the USA and their drivers don't think cyclists or pedestrians exist, certainly you will never see either at night (except in the cities)
If i was cycling across America i would certainly wear an helmet, here i think we are a little more cyclist friendly and i don't bother, France seems to be the most cyclist friendly place i have been, they always give you room.

eclectic_bike

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
I have no doubt that if you wish to minimise head injury then wear a helmet.

There is much sophistry put forward to justify not wearing them but the essential truth is that, regardless of the data showing drivers giving less room to helmet wearer, helmets discouraging cycling, etc, wearing a helmet will limit injury to you as an individual.

I know this having come off and hit my head on the ground with no injury because an impact absorbing material was between me and tarmac.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Well, I think you should wear one all the time, not just on bikes!
In the 1960's, Ira Jones, a First World War fighter ace who had survived many battles, tripped over his front door step, hit his head on the ground and later died in hospital. Just goes to show, you can't be too careful.
Never fear, the Great British busybody, nanny knows best, nit picking, fusspot control freak, health fascists will look after you.

eclectic_bike

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
In the 1960's, Ira Jones, a First World War fighter ace who had survived many battles, tripped over his front door step, hit his head on the ground and later died in hospital. Just goes to show, you can't be too careful.
I know someone who smoked all his life and lived to 90. Therefore I must conclude that smoking prolongs life. A sound empirical argument, I trust you will agree.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There is much sophistry put forward to justify not wearing them
This is only ever in response to someone like yourself promoting helmet wearing.

We have had many threads started by someone doing just that, but never once has there been a thread started in order to discourage or criticise the wearing of them. Those who don't wear them often emphasize they have no objection to those who do, but it seems many who do wear them are intolerant of those who don't.

eclectic_bike

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
This is only ever in response to someone like yourself promoting helmet wearing.

We have had many threads started by someone doing just that, but never once has there been a thread started in order to discourage or criticise the wearing of them. Those who don't wear them often emphasize they have no objection to those who do, but it seems many who do wear them are intolerant of those who don't.
I actually don't care if you wear one or not and don't object to your right to do what you want as long as it doesn't affect me. My point is that they limit injury. Saying otherwise is simply fooling yourself. I tolerate that quite well thank you.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
This thread doesn't make any sense. Where can you put your helmet cam if your not wearing a helmet? ...

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
I don`t know about motorists giving you a wide berth when not wearing a helmet , but with a helmet and reflective waistcoat ,they give you such a wide berth that they would rather crash into something on the opposite carriageway . Perhaps it`s the polite drivers here in South Wales .

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
As I have first hand experience of the fragility of the human head - and I only collided with a wooden shelf after tripping over the dog resulting in nine stitches, a lot of blood and a splitting headache - I don't want to repeat the experience with a concrete kerb at 15 mph thank you very much.

My neighbour probably owes her life to wearing one after she hit the cobbles head first in Alston at speed so my helmet is staying firmly on when I am riding.