Help! Weight limit/strain on converted e-bike

HMG13

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2019
Hi everyone,

I'm still pretty new to e-bikes, so I'm aware this may be a daft question - but here goes.

I have a hybrid converted with a midrive Bafang BBS02. The battery and motor together add a good 10kg to the frame.

I'm wondering if anyone has found adding loaded pannier racks to their E- bikes with a similar set-up, to be a problem at all?

I don't know how much weight a bike frame is designed to take, especially when the weight isn't spread out very evenly. Is warping/flexing of bike frames common in these situations, or is this a non issue I don't need to worry about?

I'd like to add a rear pannier, on which I'd be carrying between 5 and 10kg - a pretty light load in the scheme of things I know. But I'm wondering if the 5kg battery on the downtube and 5kg motor under the BB shell - plus up to 10kg on a rear rack, could together cause strain and lead to damage/instability over time.

It's an alluminium frame

Thanks in advance,

H

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
bike frames come in all shapes and sizes, post some pictures to give us an idea what you've got.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
bike frames come in all shapes and sizes, post some pictures to give us an idea what you've got.
As do riders!

• :D
Reactions: Woosh