What conversion kit should I get?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Having 3 kg in the front wheel helps keep it on the ground but...

- even then you can spin it from a standing start in the wet
- 3 kg plus the front wheel taking the brunt of potholes etc means watch your spokes, like before any long ride, and buy good tyres like the Schwalbe Marathons
- I hate the handling, I like my front wheel light and bikeish
- steel dropouts or torque bars required

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
None of it is hard, especially if you have an understanding of engineering.

For a front hub in steel fork, you just need to file the dropouts a few mm deeper. 8mm round file and 5 mins work. In a ally fork (most suspension forks) a torque arm is recommend.

Same goes for a rear hub, but you will also need to decide on cassette/freewheel and get the correct removal tool.

With CD you will need crank removal tool and BB extraction tool.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
As people can see in that thread that was linked above, its now been three years since i fitted my 8fun kit.
Never had to file out the drop outs, motor axle & nuts sat in them fine. I've never had a spoke break with this front hub motor. Used the torque washers, but didn't see the need for torque arms and i still dont as the drop outs on the Suntour forks are quite thick & substantial. I didn't bother fitting the brake cut out switches either, i feel they're not needed on just a 250W motor and its never caused me any issues. Only got punctures because of some swarf in the front rim, since i found it and removed it, not had a single puncture since on either wheel, but i always run at 85/90 psi. For about 2 years i only had the throttle fitted, but i've recently fitted the PAS as well.
Kit has been rock solid reliable..... It was a good buy.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I will add...... if i were fitting a more powerful (illegal) motor, i would use torque arms and probably would fit brake cut out switches as well.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I will add...... if i were fitting a more powerful (illegal) motor, i would use torque arms and probably would fit brake cut out switches as well.
The cut out switches are very useful when the throttle fails, as they can do so wide open.

That said, the brakes should easily overpower the motor, so it's not a massive safety thing as long as you are aware that it could happen. I don't bother with cutouts these days, just take the risk that the motor may burn out in the event of throttle fail.

With a front motor it would be easy to stop and lift wheel while you switch off. With a rear wheel/CD you would have to stop, get off and chuck it on the ground to avoid burnout. (Until you can pull battery wires/switch off)

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
The cut out switches are very useful when the throttle fails, as they can do so wide open.

That said, the brakes should easily overpower the motor, so it's not a massive safety thing as long as you are aware that it could happen. I don't bother with cutouts these days, just take the risk that the motor may burn out in the event of throttle fail.

With a front motor it would be easy to stop and lift wheel while you switch off. With a rear wheel/CD you would have to stop, get off and chuck it on the ground to avoid burnout. (Until you can pull battery wires/switch off)

The LED display is right next to my left grip, i could as easily and quickly hit the motor off button with my thumb, if the unlikely happened and the motor stuck on.
Also, i rarely use the thumb throttle these days, due to my hand arthritis becoming really bad. I keep the throttle though as a backup incase the PAS packs up or chain breaks.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The LED display is right next to my left grip, i could as easily and quickly hit the motor off button with my thumb, if the unlikely happened and the motor stuck on.
Also, i rarely use the thumb throttle these days, due to my hand arthritis becoming really bad. I keep the throttle though as a backup incase the PAS packs up or chain breaks.
Yes, but it's important for the OP (and others) to understand why. You don't need to be using the throttle for it to fail wide open.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Oh dear...... Tabs dislikes my post.
Maybe the spineless button pusher will come on here and tell me exactly what they dislike about it ?

• Dislike
Reactions: Nealh

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Haha just noticed what you were on about,it was a mistake ,I actually agree with you but think you could have asked me in another manner instead of calling me a spineless button pusher ,cheers
And I removed the dislike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As people can see in that thread that was linked above, its now been three years since i fitted my 8fun kit.
Never had to file out the drop outs, motor axle & nuts sat in them fine. I've never had a spoke break with this front hub motor. Used the torque washers, but didn't see the need for torque arms and i still dont as the drop outs on the Suntour forks are quite thick & substantial. I didn't bother fitting the brake cut out switches either, i feel they're not needed on just a 250W motor and its never caused me any issues. Only got punctures because of some swarf in the front rim, since i found it and removed it, not had a single puncture since on either wheel, but i always run at 85/90 psi. For about 2 years i only had the throttle fitted, but i've recently fitted the PAS as well.
Kit has been rock solid reliable..... It was a good buy.
Not fitting the TA's of filling the drop outs deeper is optional but as one new recent poster posted his drop outs snapped after he moved a kit over form one bike to another.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Oh dear...... Tabs dislikes my post.
Maybe the spineless button pusher will come on here and tell me exactly what they dislike about it ?
I have disliked this post because the forum doesn't need these derogatory assaults aimed at posters, a reason why D8veh has left and afew others with knowledge post less often now.

• Dislike
Reactions: Yamdude

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Haha just noticed what you were on about,it was a mistake ,I actually agree with you but think you could have asked me in another manner instead of calling me a spineless button pusher ,cheers
You would have seen how it was rated when you clicked it, it was only when i mentioned it you removed it...... either rate posts correctly or dont rate them at all.
Anyone who rates my posts down, are going to get called on it.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I have disliked this post because the forum doesn't need these derogatory assaults aimed at posters, a reason why D8veh has left and afew others with knowledge post less often now.
Really, well have a dislike back.

Deamonata

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 3, 2016
Uk
Would it be possible to go back on topic please? Are there any issues with filing out the dropouts? Won't it weaken them?

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Would it be possible to go back on topic please? Are there any issues with filing out the dropouts? Won't it weaken them?
If you do have to file them out, its by such a small amount that i dont think it'll make any difference. But i dont think you'll have to file them out on the Crossfire anyway, i didn't on mine.
Only had to file a bit on the inside, where it met the disc bolts on the front motor.

Reactions: LeighPing

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Just realised also, i think you have disc brakes on the Crossfire 3 ?
May be some clearance issues there with a front hub motor.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing