What conversion to choose???

L888neh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 23, 2015
Hi

Recently bought a Specialized Vita ladies hybrid bike and I love it....only thing is my boyfriend is a keen triathlete and I can see I am holding him back when we go out together riding (even though he tries a bit to hide it!)
Went to the Manchester Bike and Tri expo at the weekend and i had a go on an oxygen e-bike....tied both the E-mate and the Mountain bike version and they seemed great and soooo powerful...but obviously just bought my bike....this got me looking at conversions and I am a bit confused about it all....I would like something that feels as powerful as the oxygen bike - can do at least 50 miles on the first setting (doesnt look an eyesore on my bike i.e needs one of them panier racks for the back...ewwww!) and thats easy to fit...or even better someone does it for you!......any of you guys in the know got any recommendations? it would just be for road use...maybe some big hills....do i need front wheel drive for that.....sorry....trying with the techy stufff but I am just a girl :)....also....do I need disk brakes coz i just have standard?Also would like best value for money...trying to keep costs down as much as possible but obviously not skimp on quality....dont want much do i?! lol

Thanks in advance!

Leanne

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
A rear hub motor with cassette adapter would suit the style of your bike best. A 36V 15AH battery would give you the 50 miles range. Costwise: about £500.

L888neh

Mar 23, 2015
Ahhh thanx Trex....any pointers on where is the best to look for suppliers etc?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello L888neh,
If you want the Oxygen why not buy the Oxygen kit. Go to Oxydrive.co.uk there are 3 kits available.
Whoosh sell kits and are about the cheapest for plug and play kits, if you want a CD kit look at Eclipse.
Cyclezee kits are a bit more in money but are very well regarded for being powerful.

Last edited:

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
I'll second the oxydrive kit, easy to fit, subtle looking and easily powerful enough to keep up with a super fit triathlete!

D

Deleted member 4366

A couple of questions: Is yours the crossbar or the stepthrough version? Secondly, how much do you weigh?

L888neh

Mar 23, 2015
Bit personal D8veh...we only just met! lol......it is the crossbar version 2014 model...is it enough to say that I am 5ft 9 and above average weight??? or do you need specifics??

L888neh

Mar 23, 2015
thanks nealh...had a look at the oxydrive kit....do you think a 13ah battery will be enough to do 50 miles considering my height and.....lets say a stocky build? ;)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that depends very much on your speed, terrain and wind.
On flat road, no wind, 13ah is OK for 50 miles if you pedal a fair bit. I'd say go for 15ah to avoid range anxiety.

L888neh

Mar 23, 2015
Brill...will have a look around....batteries of that power tend to be the bigger rear mounted types don't they? and rules the oxygen kit out as i think their max is the 13ah......check me out....starting to sound like i know what i am on about dont i! lol :rolleyes:

L888neh

Mar 23, 2015
A couple of questions: Is yours the crossbar or the stepthrough version? Secondly, how much do you weigh?
Not only am i an e-bike novice....im a forum virgin too......Am i supposed to reply like this instead of doing a new post?

Bit personal D8veh...we only just met! lol......it is the crossbar version 2014 model...is it enough to say that I am 5ft 9 and above average weight??? or do you need specifics?? :

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Brill...will have a look around....batteries of that power tend to be the bigger rear mounted types don't they? and rules the oxygen kit out as i think their max is the 13ah......check me out....starting to sound like i know what i am on about dont i! lol :rolleyes:
You can get 36V 15AH battery like this one (£315 including charger):

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
I suspect the battery which trex has indicated is from woosh, they do some nice hub and crank kits both of which can use this battery. However, the hub kits from woosh require a separate controller too be fitted ( the little black box under the frame just forward of the battery in the photo from trex) whereas the oxydrive kit has the controller integrated into the battery.
I can only really relay my experience of the 13ah oxydrive battery but I am 14.5 stone and can easily manage 30 off road miles on full assist and have (apparently) half power left in the battery. I suspect that I could get 50 miles with a low level of assist on road, pedalling along of course.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Ahhhh....thats not too unsightly....where is this from?
Good find!
;)
i have the oxydrive cst 13 Ah kit on a light racer (all up weight with kit less than 20kgs) and i'm light (around 60kg) and get 30 miles on mixed but mostly maximum assist in a very hilly area. Unless your boyfriend is a fanatic triathlete who does regular 50 mile rides, that may be enough?

L888neh

Mar 23, 2015
i have the oxydrive cst 13 Ah kit on a light racer (all up weight with kit less than 20kgs) and i'm light (around 60kg) and get 30 miles on mixed but mostly maximum assist in a very hilly area. Unless your boyfriend is a fanatic triathlete who does regular 50 mile rides, that may be enough?
He is way past fanatical.....he is full blown iron man 100 miles every sunday....but i rekon if i can do a 50 mile 'short ride' at a good pace then it wont be as painful for him to go out with me! lol :eek:

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
He is way past fanatical.....he is full blown iron man 100 miles every sunday....but i rekon if i can do a 50 mile 'short ride' at a good pace then it wont be as painful for him to go out with me! lol :eek:
perhaps oxydrive will do you a deal on two batteries, i'm happy with the kit (it does serious hills very OK with me and sometimes 20 or 30 kg's of stuff - once i went over about 110kg all up weight and it began to struggle significantly - and on the level easilly cruises at 26mph in a 700c wheel, which really covers significant distance very quickly)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A lot will depend on how much he is prepared to slow for you.

Ask him what his usual cruising speed is.

I can only guess, but it could be 20mph or even a bit more.

All road legal ebike kits cut out at 15mph, which will be useless for this application - your boyfriend will feel like he's cycling backwards.

A derestricted kit would get close to the speed you need, but will eat the battery.

As others have said, you have a fighting chance of doing 50 miles, but so much depends on hills, head winds and your input, it is impossible to make an accurate prediction.

One thing is certain, you will be using all or nearly all of the battery, so get the biggest one you can.

The other option - which you don't fancy - is to carry a spare battery.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
You're young, it will be easier to get a new boyfriend.

Not me, I'm spoken for.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
You're young, it will be easier to get a new boyfriend.

Not me, I'm spoken for.
must say at least half second that, would take olympic levels of commitment (sorry bad pun) for me to trek around on hundred mile pilgrimages behind some fitness fanatic