What do you think of my new bike?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
about the frame: I know I wanted a frame for our traditionally built customers but should I change for something less 'tank' like?
Trying to be helpful and constructive here, but the geometry seems just a little off to me: 1) The quite wide spacing between the rear wheel and seat-tube, and 2) the alignment (head-tube angle) of the front fork relative to that seat-tube seems to be angled inward very slightly rather than parallel or forward facing. Maybe it's just optical, but it just looks a tad "off" and makes the bike appear front heavy IMHO. Is that just me?

I understand your reasoning for the matt-black colour (one of my own e-bikes is matt black too), but the whole seems a little drab - almost too black and bulky which is what you seem to be thinking? Tan-wall tyres might help, but my guess is that adds cost which you'd want to avoid?

Given other members comments too about adding a splash of colour, maybe you could offer some optional pre-printed/cut designer decals/transfer sheets for owners to add their own stripes/graphics/branding that would break-up all that black? Lots of companies offer competent design and various ways to produce in low-volume geared for ease of user application; it's relatively cheap for you to do and offers owners the option to add some "popping" colour and/or personalise their ride... it could work for all of your other models too (which mostly seem black and devoid of nomenclature!)? It's a thought cribbed from MiRiders limited edition ranges (now discontinued I think) where they simply applied pre-printed graphics to their standard frame-painted models giving 4 or 5 distinct personalities to an otherwise standard design (IIRC one was combat camouflage, one British Union Jack themed, one had bright popping stripes etc. etc.). IIRC they charged an extra £200 for that too!

Just thinking out loud!!

Reactions: Woosh and flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Transfer rust spots add colour and make the bike look less desirable for theft.
(A bit bogus on an aluminium frame, but ...)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Would you rather your bike be less visible to drivers, because you also want to be invisible to muggers? I'll take my chances with muggers. I think that bike will attract interest from thieving scum if left locked up somewhere, whatever it's colour.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
The bike reminds me of a WWII motorcycle (not particularly a criticism), not sure why, Steve McQueen might've made it. To me it looks too retro and agree with previous comments a little tank like.

I prefer a mountain bike frame, a design classic, what is the driver for internal batteries meaning bulky frames vs. classic MTB frame with, for example, Hailong on the water bottle and controller in bag under seat?

Horses for courses I suppose.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
Aside from Woosh's comments in #55 and the trend towards integrating the battery, being on the underside helps protect it from overheating when parked in strong sun, and the flat topped downtube might take another battery. Imagine if the wiring behind the battery connector were accessible, ready for a battery mixer?

Aside from the frame there are weight limits on tyres and saddle rails, so Woosh might intend to offer his traditional customers upgrades. The compatability info alone must be worth something, ditto with trailer compatability.

Saw this in Decathlon yesterday at the target price so the bar isn't too high ;)
Decathlon_Riverside500.jpg

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The wiring is accessible inside the downtube but you have to drill a hole to pass the cable from above

Reactions: AntonyC

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Saw this in Decathlon yesterday at the target price so the bar isn't too high ;)
That is a rear hub system, not the crank drive, so not quite "like for like" comparisons, irrespective of personal views on the relative merits..

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
Agreed not "like for like" and there's a healthy and justified demand for hub drive, external battery and conventional frame. Decathlon's a budget brand yet in comparison Woosh's contender offers mudguards, rack and hopefully more rider/load capacity and hackability or options, and famed customer support: quite a few points in its favour... if this is your kind of horse.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Any developments @Woosh? Has flecc's Very Sensible Rack won you over?
the prototype is already shipped, so no more changes for now.
I may have to start over again from the helpful comments posted in this thread.
Thank you all.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
I like the bike, I'm not sure who the target audience is but IMHO, the handlebars are too low and too flat.

Surely this bike is more urban/commute/utility than mountain? So a bit of comfort would be nice.

Just my personal thoughts, good luck.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm not sure who the target audience is
it's a multi-purpose bike. The target price (£1,299) does not leave me much room to pay for a new frame, so I have to pick a stock frame. I can still choose accessories (handlebars, seat post, saddle, mudguards, lights). I am a bit limited on rack and propstand.
The frame has to be strong enough for heavy riders and allow more upright riding position.
The chosen frame seems to be too long.

• Agree
Reactions: oggie and AntonyC

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
Holes with plastic plugs or threaded inserts, are they costly to have fitted? E.g. for water bottle, second battery & cable, front light, HD rack, headstock rack, frame lock, torque arm. They'd turn a warranty-busting hack into an assembly step.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Looks highly likely a hill eater to me. Target market is this dude. He's eaten a hill of sausages.

Question is, what is the rear rack's weight limit in pork chops? He eats and retains a lot of sausages too. Although I don't want this bike, a strong useful pannier rack is a must for me; it should be useful. That rear rack is a dealbreaker. It's safer carrying 30kg of pork chops on the rear rack than in a rucksack. This newfangled trend of pannier racks weakly supported by mudguards is bonkers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Here is my opinion on rear racks.
The rear triangle rack stays prevent a rear rack from twisting, this movement is caused by an uneven loading of panniers and other factors. I would be surprised if anybody weighs their panniers when loading and dont go over the racks weight limit.
This twisting is now prevented by the mudguard / rack attachment, the mudguards are made of a semi flexible material and usually supported by thin struts
I appreciate in this case the mudguard is supported by the rack struts, rack sides, mudguard / rack attachment and bottom bracket area attachment nut / bolt. If this system has been tested and spares are available then this could be a viable option, as i have not tried it i am only giving an opinion at this point.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
there's a healthy and justified demand for hub drive,
Is there ? I think not.
Well thats not fair, so I'll clarify.

The bikes are aimed at people who just want to take part in this fancy Ebike cycling thing and dont know their tyres from their handlebars really. You could fit a motor to the top tube and they wouldn't care or know any better.

The only thing people now after this much time is hub drive equates to cheap mass produced, and mid drive equates to better class, because they see all the high end EMTB's with mid drive. They do their homework, look on this new interweb thing which tell hem whats what and how much things cost, and they long know if something is cheap, then its cheap all over and in this day and age of less money floating around,thats a bad economy.
People now do their homework, because its a lot of money to spend and they dont want to throw it away on tat.

Whoosh's new Emtb is pretty identical to cube hardtails.
I like it, I'd ride it and im a big fat tart.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Holes with plastic plugs or threaded inserts, are they costly to have fitted? E.g. for water bottle, second battery & cable, front light, HD rack, headstock rack, frame lock, torque arm. They'd turn a warranty-busting hack into an assembly step.
Bushes and inserts cost very little. I have added them before to mount a second battery to the Faro and moved the water bottle to the seat tube.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
The target price (£1,299) does not leave me much room to pay for a new frame, so I have to pick a stock frame. I can still choose accessories (handlebars, seat post, saddle, mudguards, lights). I am a bit limited on rack and propstand.
Pedals are personal, bikes are often sold without. From your accessories I'd keep the mudguards and propstand, with my favourite stem, suspension seatpost and the rest transferred across. Hence wanting compatible mounts/inserts all over.

Could customers have a tall stem fitted, a battery upgrade? A long shot this, if there are bits they don't need could you reduce that premium?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Pedals are personal, bikes are often sold without. From your accessories I'd keep the mudguards and propstand, with my favourite stem, suspension seatpost and the rest transferred across. Hence wanting compatible mounts/inserts all over.

Could customers have a tall stem fitted, a battery upgrade? A long shot this, if there are bits they don't need could you reduce that premium?
I can add inserts for mounting accessories at virtually no additional cost. On battery: the difference in cost between 48V 12.5AH and 48V 15AH being small, so it will be whatever the maximum capacity to fit inside the battery case is available at the time. Stem: I usually fit adjustable promax stem for threadless steerer tube. Pedals: I always supply a pair of Wellgo pedals. Rack: I did make the rack and mudguards optional in the past on the Woosh Karoo but it was a mess processing orders because we couldn't produce the bikes in the right combo in advance so it's not going to save us any money.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AntonyC

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Next bike?
BBS02 with Alfine rear hub, normal rack, carbon fork or suspension stem.