What do you think of the bikes at Halfords?

Energize

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2013
Halfords is very close to me so I'd like to buy one from there if possible.

Halfords | EBCO UCR30 Electric Bike

I've been looking a the EBCO UCR30 which retails for £999, is this considered a good model for the price? I don't want to spend more than £1k.

D

Deleted member 4366

Looks OK to me. If you join Quidco first (costs nothing) you'll get 5% cash-back, which is £50 for nothing. You have to register your debit/credit card with Quidco so that they can track your purchases.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Looks good...remember Halfords only do 1 year warranty on the battery.
...can an 8ah battery be expected to give 40-50 mile range ?

Energize

Mar 22, 2013
My employer takes part in the Halfords cycle to work scheme, how much of a discount would this give me and can it be combined with cashback offers?

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
It does look overpriced compared with what you can get from Woosh or Kudos who offer similar if not better specs for £100-£200 CHEAPER it would pay to shop around IMHO

ps, 8amp battery seems a bit miserly for that price and the range advertised is taking optimism to a new level

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The question is what do you want to do with it. how far ? how many hills? how fit? how heavy? how often?

DSGC

Mar 7, 2013
Taunton, Somerset
I've just bought a Pro Rider Touring from Pro Rider for £579 and I'm very pleased with the quality and service. Compares well to others I have looked at locally.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Well....its heavy'ish and I dont think there is any way it will do that mileage with that size battery.

Personally, I wouldnt consider buying any bike that didnt come with at least a 2yr battery warranty.

I agree with jazper....far better value from woosh , kudos and Ezee for less money, a better warranty, bigger battery and guaranteed better customer service.

Dont fancy your chances with Halfords for after sales service judging by previous reports on this forum.

I can understand you wanting to buy locally....are there no other retailers near you where you can try different models before you make your mind up ?

Lynda :)

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
The questions as to what you want to do with it are very relevant. You can buy a new electric bike for £375. But not all bikes are the same. You need to have some idea of what you want your one for and how far and how often you are going to use it.

Energize

Mar 22, 2013
There are a couple of other retailers, don't know how they compare though taking halfords cycle to work discounts into account.

Currently I use my bike a few times a week for journeys on the road that are 10-15 miles round trips. But I'm struggling with some of the hills.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Whereabouts in the country are you ?

There are quite a few 'bike try' days coming up soon......including the one at Redbridge, N, London in 2 weeks.
Then one in Cornwall and another in Derbyshire........
Lots of different makes of bikes will be there to test ride.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Is there a Final Payment to take into account on this C2W scheme?

That can make a mockery of the perceived discount.

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
Well....its heavy'ish and I dont think there is any way it will do that mileage with that size battery.

Personally, I wouldnt consider buying any bike that didnt come with at least a 2yr battery warranty.

I agree with jazper....far better value from woosh , kudos and Ezee for less money, a better warranty, bigger battery and guaranteed better customer service.

Dont fancy your chances with Halfords for after sales service judging by previous reports on this forum.

I can understand you wanting to buy locally....are there no other retailers near you where you can try different models before you make your mind up ?

I agree entirely with Lynda, my thoughts exactly,plus Halfords retail mark up is well over the top.

Energize

Mar 22, 2013
I live in the Cumbria area I'm afraid

Another option could be to get an existing bike converted to electric
I don't think I have the expertise to do that.

Oh as to my weight, I'm 60kg.

Have been having a look at the suggested websites and have found a few in the £600-£800 range with much better specs.

Kudos Cobra £835
eZee Sprint 8Ah £650 10Ah £720 (3 Gear models)
Woosh Sirocco £625
Woosh Sirocco-Sport £599
Woosh Sirocco 2 £699
Woosh Sirocco CD £799

Last edited:

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton

Have been having a look at the suggested websites and have found a few in the £600-£800 range with much better specs.

Kudos Cobra £835
Woosh Sirocco £625
Woosh Sirocco-Sport £599
Woosh Sirocco 2 £699
Woosh Sirocco CD £799
The Woosh Sirocco CD is the latest bike from Woosh and has been reviewed by d8veh recently

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/14201-woosh-crank-bike-review.html

also the Woosh Sirocco-Sport

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bike-reviews/13064-woosh-sirocco-sport.html

Crank drives are regarded to offer better assistance for hilly areas

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Kudos Cobra £835
Woosh Sirocco £625
Woosh Sirocco-Sport £599
Woosh Sirocco 2 £699
Woosh Sirocco CD £799
Your best bet is the Cobra. It has the best forks, good looks and plenty of poke with that Samsung battery.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
EBCO is a good company, started by the Stanforth brothers Paul and Rick who formerly founded Saracen Bikes which popularised mountain biking in the UK. However, you'll be at the mercy of Halfords for service and they don't have a good history for this with their brief excursions into e-bikes.

As others have said, you'll get better value looking elsewhere at other brands.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Your weight means the bike wont have to work to hard to move you. and the rule of around 1 mile per 10 watts battery gives you a hint as to potential range. (volts times amps gives you watts so 24 v and 10 amps gives 24 mile 36 by 15 gives 54 miles) for a new battery. if you pedal lots you get better range and not at all gives less.

All batteries age so think of 80% power range as that is what you could expect in a year or two.

Cumbrian hills make the crank drive more appealing as it keeps working in its efficent range. A hub drive wastes power slogging up hills.
from my limited experience the speed and ease made me travel further more often for the pleasure of riding the bike?

Could be a call to Hatti soon as the CD's are selling out and next batch not in for a while.
you could also chat up some of the others here for repair/service help.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
There are a couple of other retailers, don't know how they compare though taking halfords cycle to work discounts into account.

Currently I use my bike a few times a week for journeys on the road that are 10-15 miles round trips. But I'm struggling with some of the hills.
Check out Kudos & Woosh before you make your mind up. I actually tried one of those Halfords eBikes (the 1st one I ever tried) and was pleasantly surprised. But I quickly realized its limitations after researching the market a bit more. If you can get a bike under £1k Cycle2work should still be available as it's a govt scheme which covers many retailers not just one. If your employer is registered for the Cycle2work scheme then a bike should be feasible from any participating retailer.

1yr warranty on batteries isn't enough.... and Halfords know jack s*** about eBikes ;). I actually spoke with my LBS about the Raleigh eBikes they sell a few days ago for £1,200. They admitted 50% of them have come back on account of problems with the controller. A bike which several people can vouch for on here and which comes with a proactive and friendly knowledgeable after-sales support would be your best bet if you can sort it. Imho.

This article is pretty informative - albeit read the comments too because not all of it is accurate :

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/guide-to-the-uks-cycle-to-work-scheme-18360/

Last edited: