What do you think of the bikes at Halfords?

D

Deleted member 4366

If you only weigh 60kg, a bike with a hub-motor should be OK. If you were 90kg+, then a crank-drive would probably be more suitable when you have hills to climb..

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Looks OK to me. If you join Quidco first (costs nothing) you'll get 5% cash-back, which is £50 for nothing. You have to register your debit/credit card with Quidco so that they can track your purchases.
Good of you mate for passing that advise on to us, d8veh sweet as.:)

Mountainsport

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
... and if you join British Cycling you get 10% off purchases at Halfords - along with 3rd party liability insurance thrown in :)

D

Deleted member 4366

That's a brilliant tip. You''ll still get the 5% from Quidco, so that brings the price down to a very reasonable £855.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
That's a brilliant tip. You''ll still get the 5% from Quidco, so that brings the price down to a very reasonable £855.
Apparently you can only use one discount code, so 10% discount is the most you can get.
Still good to know.

D

Deleted member 4366

The money that you get from Quidco isn't a discount code. They track your normal purchases, and if any of the retailers are in the scheme, they get you the cashback after the sale. That's how I got double discount on my Cyclamatic: 20% discount and £40 cashback. Bargain at £360. I sold it a year later used for £410.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Excellent! That explains why you can do things for pennies why others pay pounds..

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
It can be a bit tricky to use the British Cycling discount as well as Quidco because the BC discount requires a voucher to be presented in-store when purchasing. It can't be used on-line.

That said, as long as you can get your purchase tracked by ordering online via Quidco link and then going in to the store to pay on presenting the voucher for 10% off it can work as long as the cashiers don't mess it up and over-ride the original order (e.g. if you buy other things when you're in there on the same transaction).

In practice you may find you get 5% cashback on the bike less 10% less VAT. But you should get something and that's always better than nothing :cool:. Just keep an eye out for the transaction being tracked, read the rules carefully and raise a claim with Quidco if it isn't.

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
Halfords do Nectar points........so if you have a Nectar card, or obtain one before buying a bike at Halfords .....you will receive 2 points for every £1 spent.

D

Deleted member 4366

I registered with Quidco to get the discount on the Cyclamatic and then fortgot about them. 6 months later, I bought some nice discounted tool storage units in Halfords. I paid with my debit card. A few days after that, I got an e-mail from Quidco to say that they had tracked this purchase and I'd be getting the 5% cashback, which arrived about a month later. You don't have to buy stuff on-line or through Quidco. I don't know how they knew I'd bought anything from Halfords. It's a mystery to me, and it's happened twice or three times.

So, it looks like you can get 10% off with the Cycle club plus 5% of the purchase price (the payment on your debit/credit card) plus nectar points. It gets better all the time!

D

Deleted member 4366

I registered with Quidco to get the discount on the Cyclamatic and then fortgot about them. 6 months later, I bought some nice discounted tool storage units in Halfords. I paid with my debit card. A few days after that, I got an e-mail from Quidco to say that they had tracked this purchase and I'd be getting the 5% cashback, which arrived about a month later. You don't have to buy stuff on-line or through Quidco. I don't know how they knew I'd bought anything from Halfords. It's a mystery to me, and it's happened twice or three times.

So, it looks like you can get 10% off with the Cycle club plus 5% of the purchase price (the payment on your debit/credit card) plus nectar points. It gets better all the time!

C

Cyclezee

I would have a few questions for Halfords about the spec of the bike.

• How do they manage to fit 20" tyres on 26" wheels?
  • Wheelbase 2.25"?
  • Can one assume that the battery has a 2 year warranty?
  • What is the capacity of the battery?
  • What is the battery chemistry?

OK, I'm being pedantic, they have made a few errors on their website.

Personally, I think it is good to see a large chain selling electric bikes as it will surely increase public awareness and that can't be a bad thing.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Personally, I think it is good to see a large chain selling electric bikes as it will surely increase public awareness and that can't be a bad thing.
Really ? In principle, at first, it would seem like that but.......

not necessarily that good a thing at all I would think, according to frequent references on this forum to the bad/non-existent after sales service from Halfords.......and that coupled with the almost zero level of knowledge of e-bikes of the staff, can only lead to greater public disenchantment with e-bikes in the long run........and we dont want that do we :confused:

And then of course there is the fact that they are selling electric bikes at inflated prices, spec wise, when, as I said earlier , they can buy way better quality/spec/after sales service for less money from you, Dave and Hatti...........I bet Halfords profit margins are way more than your threes'

.......you should be picketing them, not encouraging them....;);)

Lynda :)

C

Cyclezee

Hey Lynda, what rattled your cage, is it because Red Bull are in pole position............again:p

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hey Lynda, what rattled your cage, is it because Red Bull are in pole position............again:p
******* ! lol .........but, dont worry......I will get my own back :p ;)

Lynda :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And then of course there is the fact that they are selling electric bikes at inflated prices, spec wise,
And very inconsistent marketing too. Their first stab at e-bikes was with the Sparc-motored Carrera at about £750, a bargain price considering the Sparc kit alone was over £500 from other sources.

However, the £999 is also EBCO's price for this UCR30 step-through model. If someone goes to EBCO, they'll find the UCR60 model with higher cost components* discounted from £1499 to £999 now.

* Roller hub brakes and Nexus 8 speed hub gear in place of Acera 8 speed derailleur. EBCO website

Last edited:

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
And very inconsistent marketing too. Their first stab at e-bikes was with the Sparc-motored Carrera at about £750, a bargain price considering the Sparc kit alone was over £500 from other sources.

However, the £999 is also EBCO's price for this UCR30 step-through model. If someone goes to EBCO, they'll find the UCR60 model with higher cost components* discounted from £1499 to £999 now.

* Roller hub brakes and Nexus 8 speed hub gear in place of Acera 8 speed derailleur. EBCO website
Not forgetting they also sold Urban Movers for 18 months or so. would be interested to here from purchasers of these how they are getting on with after sales support.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Your best bet is the Cobra. It has the best forks, good looks and plenty of poke with that Samsung battery.
Energise,my Kudos King bike is a particularly good buy at £895.00,I only have 2 left now out of a batch of 120 units-with the long life 10ah LifePo4 battery and hydraulic brakes,24 speed Alivio gears. There are many owners of the King on this forum.
I cannot get another batch of King bikes until 2014.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
kudosdave,
if you can replace the motor wheel of the King with the motorwheel of the Ariba, how much would it be?