What is the best budget electric bike?

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
local shops

i was wondering if any one knew of some local shops for me. i know that there is one in richmond and one in woking. just wondering if there is any others.

where is The Electric Bike Centre. have they moved yet?

thanks guys.

chrisc:)

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
The most powerful out of the box is the MTB but if you are prepared to change the chain ring and crank up from 44 teeth to at least 52 teeth then the folder really comes to life. I have a 57 tooth one on mine and Annes is a 55 tooth. The folder is quite low geared without the upgrade although to be honest if you wanted the bike for just running around town or just pleasure around the coast then no problems( Morag gets on fine with hers) I like to ride mine on the road and around the country lanes and thats why I upped the gear ratio. They are quite decent little folders with mudguards and carrier as standard. They are not high speed main road bikes but then they were not designed for that.
Did you see the videos I shot on one?

Dave
Dave is it an easy thing to change the chain ring. i am thinking (after seing your videos) that the folder cyclamatic might be a good choice for me. i would be doing an average of 7-10 miles twice a week to start with .mainly on the road but also some gravel paths. theres only one hill really which isnt to bad. would the cyclamatic fold be good for what i want. you seam to do ok on yours.

what sort of speed do you get out of yours?

what sort of distance do you get?

an example of my journey would be:
cycle down hill (no assistance needed)
cycle on the flat (some assistance)
cycle up hill (assistance or throttle depending on how i am feeling)

any advice would be good.

thanks

Chrisc:) :D

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Dave is it an easy thing to change the chain ring. i am thinking (after seing your videos) that the folder cyclamatic might be a good choice for me. i would be doing an average of 7-10 miles twice a week to start with .mainly on the road but also some gravel paths. theres only one hill really which isnt to bad. would the cyclamatic fold be good for what i want. you seam to do ok on yours.

what sort of speed do you get out of yours?

what sort of distance do you get?

an example of my journey would be:
cycle down hill (no assistance needed)
cycle on the flat (some assistance)
cycle up hill (assistance or throttle depending on how i am feeling)

any advice would be good.

thanks

Chrisc:) :D
Hiya Chris

First of all. Changing the chain ring! you need to remove the crank complete with chain ring because the built in crank doen`t really lend itself to being upgraded. The crank is a standard tapered sq drive so are very available anywhere (I`ve changed all of mine for about £25each) Although I have put a 57 tooth ring on mine for an even higher gear they normally come with something like a 52 tooth which will be quite acceptable. It takes me around 5 mins to change a complete crank and pedals but there is one tool you need (about £6)
My wife rode hers around with the standard chainring and was quite happy.

They are a great little bike with a decent finish, good tyres, mudguards and a rear rack all as standard. They are 24V and are not the most powerful bike I`ve ridden but as you say from my videos they are more than adequate. The main attraction is the foldability for taking with you in a car or estate car or for storing but I would say that they are a bit heavy for carrying around on and off of trains etc.
I`ve never actually run the battery completely down on the road but I would estimate around 20 miles would be a safe bet.(maybe more using the lower gears that came with the bike) because I tend to push along quite fast with the higher gearing.

What I find is a real big plus is that they are just so easy to get on and off of in and around people or traffic. You don`t have to think about it, you just stop and step out and then have a light and easily managed bit of kit with you that you can park or push anywhere with ease. The downside to this(if there is one) is that they are not a main road commuter (I don`t mean a few miles either way but more if you had a 10 mile each way commute you really would need to be looking for either a full size step through or a MTB.)

If you look at those youtube videos you see just how easy it was to get in and around the people and objects which would not be the case with a full size bike plus I think the folder would be more acceptable in most places whereas a full size bike would start to get sarcastic looks.

BTW I find cycling without any power on with the folder is easy. The bars are nice and high and the seat has more than enough adjustment and surprisingly enough the standard seat is actually quite comfortable.

Tell me your height, weight and sex and that might give me a better idea of suitability (on a pm if youd rather)

I think the Cyclamatic folder is a great little bike to own as possibly a second bike to a full size 36V. They both have there place in my bike shed and if we went away for a weekend in a cottage we`d probably throw the folders in the back of the estate car. If we went away for a week to the Lakes then I`d probably suffer the extra fuel and throw our full size bikes in the van.

To give you an indication

Anne and I riding local to our house
Anne Synergie Breeze Me Powertrek dynamo

Anne and I off in the van to new pastures within Norfolk (both bikes kept on the van)

Anne on her Cyclamatic Power Plus
Me on my converted Evans/Alien kit bike

A trip down to Wells next the sea on my own, car and the folder. Both of us probably both folders in the car.

Dave

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
Thanks for the info Dave.

I am a male, 5"8 and 16 stone. I have a 26 inch mtb which I have been trying to use but because of my weight and chest problems I haven't been able to go very far.

I wanted the power plus mtb version but I can't find one anywhere.

I am still unsure which bike to get.

Chrisc

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
There is an Alien 36 v in classified at the moment......you would need to arrange a bike courier (loads advertise on ebay) as it is in Scotland I think;)

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
i was wondering if any one knew of some local shops for me. i know that there is one in richmond and one in woking. just wondering if there is any others.

where is The Electric Bike Centre. have they moved yet?

thanks guys.

chrisc:)
We're still in Crowthorne until next Friday,then we're off Farnham way.We've still got some cheap bits and pieces left in our moving sale.IE Urban Mover at £450 ,half price

Urbanmover UM36X UGlider

You're not far from us at SL4 .I'll open up again this coming Sat morning if you and any one else wants to pop down.If any one does want to come please PM me or send an email via the website

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
Thanks BigBee.

Sounds like a good deal. I would like to come and have a look but not sure if I can. Plus my bike fund has taken a bit of a bashing ( car trouble ).
Will let you know.

Chrisc

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
We're in Crowthorne ,Berks

We've a brand new Powabyke City in stock.If you can collect you can have it for £450.00
sorry i didnt answer. its a bit late now. bummer. i am still thinking about what bike and i have to wait to save my money up.

thanks for the other.

chrisc:( :eek:

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
cyclamatic power plus

i have been looking for a cyclamatic power plus. i like it better than the fold but i cant find anywhere that sells them.

i was wondering if there is a bike of similar spec and price.

the funds are still a bit low but i like to plan a head.

i have been looking at the cheaper bikes and came across the giant suede and the izip ezgo. i know that acid batteries are a no no.

i was wondering if any one knew of a good bike for around £300.

any ideas?

thanks

Chrisc:eek: :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Good no cheap.......Cheap no good

your a big lad like a few of us on here with health issues and to get you up hills you will need a reasonably powerful bike, did you try an offer on the alien in classified?

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
Not yet I will have a look. I have since found out that Sports hq are getting some cyclamatic power plus's in July. So that's good news.

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
Eddieo Iam not sure if I could get to scotland. It's a bit to far.

Would the cyclamatic power plus be good enough or do I need to look at something else?

Chrisc:)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Eddieo Iam not sure if I could get to scotland. It's a bit to far.

Would the cyclamatic power plus be good enough or do I need to look at something else?

Chrisc:)
As I said before use a bike courier, lots on ebay......the cyclamatic is not a 36 volt system, I am guessing here I have never tried one! but the Alien would be in a different league for performance I would think, lots of happy owners on here.

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
Thanks Eddieo.

i am going to have to put the electric bike dream on hold for a while. i just found out that i have a hernia and i have been told to hold off the exercise until its fixed. first the car now this.

i am going to keep an eye of things until i get better.

thanks to you all for your kind advice and offers.

regards

Chrisc

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
hi guys

i know its going to be a while before i can even sit on a bike but i am now wondering what kind of bike i will need to help me.

my list so far is:

1. cyclamatic power plus
2. e-ride from 3e ltd
3. Moskino Eagle electric bicycle
4. powacycle salisbury lpx

the only problem is they all have 250watt motors. will this be enough for my 16 stone. i will be pedaling but i will need some help up hill.
does the battery make a differance?

any ideas?

chrisc:confused: :eek:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
hi guys

i know its going to be a while before i can even sit on a bike but i am now wondering what kind of bike i will need to help me.

my list so far is:

1. cyclamatic power plus
2. e-ride from 3e ltd
3. Moskino Eagle electric bicycle
4. powacycle salisbury lpx

the only problem is they all have 250watt motors. will this be enough for my 16 stone. i will be pedaling but i will need some help up hill.
does the battery make a differance?

any ideas?

chrisc:confused: :eek:
Chris

If you are having the operation on the NHS don`t worry about what bike to get, we will all be riding around hydrogen bikes by then:D

BTW I have a hernia as well;)

Aardvark

Just Joined
Jul 13, 2010
over priced batteries for powercycle bikes

Hi have been looking at this site for a while and have just purchaced a 2nd hand powercycle Salsbury bike.
The bike is in great condition but I guess I was exspecting too much from it.
On the flat its ok with pedal assist and power on but on the hills I find it useless.
I think someone said its like a gentle breeze pushing you from behind, if thats the case they must have a different bike to me.
Also can anyone tell me for a bike that can be purchaced for just over £ 500 new from Makro how they can charge such an overpriced £ 300 for a new battery ,as this may be the problem with my bike and I do say may
I have seen the batteries for £ 100 on various old sites so they have realy put the price up.
I have since met someone with a powerbyke what a great difference in the power. He has done 1600 miles on the same battery and they are only £130 to replace if he ever needs one.
If anyone is thinking of bying a Salsbury bike I would suggest you try others before bying as this is def not a very good bike in my opinion.
I wish I had taken my own advice and tried a few 1st and would not have ended up with this bike. Also unless someone can tell me different the miles you can get out of it on pedal assist on the flat are way different to the powercycle web site.
I look forward to receiving other members views on this bike.
Steve

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Salisbury is one of the lowest powered e-bikes on the market, but a range of 20 to 28 miles is normal, depending on the rider input.

Lithium battery prices are a massive proportion of the cost of all e-bikes using them, some bikes have them at well over £500. Powercycle's £300 is one of the cheapest replacement batteries around and therefore not overpriced as you say.

The Salisbury is £765 list price, the £305 battery proportional to that. Makro have chosen to bulk buy and heavily discount, so the battery gets discounted heavily within that. What they should do is also buy and discount replacement batteries, but like all discounters, they won't bother of course, they are in it for the quick buck and couldn't care less about service and spares. You can't expect other outlets who do provide service and spares to heavily discount only the batteries to suit those who buy from Makro or second hand.

As another example, there was a second hand Wisper 905 on offer for around £300 recently, it's battery at end of life. The replacement battery is £525, far more than the bike.