What is the best theft proof bike?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
no one brings their bike in the office. Several just lock it outside. I also have to walk a bit until I reach my desk. So I'd have to carry it folded during this walk and it's quite heavy even without electric motor (11kg brompton)

Also, I often get comments about dirtyness from bikes. Like it has been running outside and now I take it inside. That's why several shop don't allow bikes to get in even when it's a folded brompton.

I wait to find some colleague doing that and then I'll do that too. I don't want to be the first when I've only been in the office for a couple of weeks

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Whatever you do you will not stop a determined thief,the latest car anti theft devices are not stopping thieves, bike theft devices are a few years behind car security at best.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I totally understand. Maybe you can share your story with your colleagues so hopefully they understand your worry too.

Maybe you can use different types of locks and parts to keep the thieves away

e.g. Pitlock the wheels and seatpost + New York 18mm D lock + Motorcycle cable lock + small motors (keep it stealth) + bike register tag stickers + etc

I think you can only reduce the chance of the bike being stolen rather than never.

Hope it helps
Pat

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
If it's that central, can't you take a tube or bus for a few weeks 'till you get your feet under the table and then move on to taking a brompton in with you in a bag ?

.... if these storms continue for much longer it'd probably be a respite anyway. I wouldn't risk leaving an eBike parked outside in these 'tropical downpours' with gale-force winds tbh.

Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Not much help to you, Cwah, but I always try to park mine next to a desirable bike with a naff-looking cable lock:

Hopefully, scumbag will go for that one & leave mine, with its Sold Secure D-lock & cabled seat & front wheel.

Selfish?... Unfortunately yes.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Not the type of performance you want but a Beat bike (assuming the same as my re-badged one) come with a heavy duty water proof bag and shoulder strap plus a back pack that it fits in when riding.
It takes very little time to fold and in the bag there would be no mess and the strap would help with the weight (14 kg).
They do about 25 kph standard, mine will do more than 25km range pedal assisted, the Beat version is PAS only, if you are over 5'8" ish you would need a longer seat post.

I don't think there is any chance a bike will last on the street.

Last edited:

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Why not ask your supervisor , tell them that you will put the bike in a bag before you bring it in the building so as to keep your work place clean? It would not harm to ask, be a pioneer for other cyclists' in your building!

The one thing that does put off colleaugues is the condition that you arrive at your desk in, as long as you can have a wash 'n' brush up, and change of clothes at work then that can't be a problem, carry a weeks worth of clothes once a week by bke, or transport.

Us british are fairly tolerant of other peoples odd behaviour, it is part of cycling to have folk stand and stare as you breeze in ready & raring to go

Many emplyoers look favourbly on fit workers, its what they want!

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
Someone on this forum said that the ladies/Dutch step through type is unattractive to thieves. It would be interesting to see some figures on this as that's what I have (Woosh Santana CDL)
I had a colleague who used a really rusty ladies bike and tatty wicker basket to go to the local, unmanned, railway station as part of his daily commute to the MOD in London. He would park the bike and secure it to the fence with a Kryptonite lock. One day he came home to find the bike still there, but the lock had been stolen.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Yeah.. maybe the brompton inside a bag could be an idea :)

What's the most stealthy lightweight bag for brompton bike?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I had a colleague who used a really rusty ladies bike and tatty wicker basket to go to the local, unmanned, railway station as part of his daily commute to the MOD in London. He would park the bike and secure it to the fence with a Kryptonite lock. One day he came home to find the bike still there, but the lock had been stolen.
so rat bikes could potentially work?

los monty

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2013
Worrying post does this mean there are scumbags out there with master keys. You pay a fortune for a lock that weighs a ton cart it around and then have it stolen. Still shows that old Dutch styles are less likely to go missing.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Yeah.. maybe the brompton inside a bag could be an idea :)

What's the most stealthy lightweight bag for brompton bike?
Try search IKEA brompton bag. It is not that stealthy maybe you can spray it black?

Pat

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
so rat bikes could potentially work?
The Dutch often do this, they even make new bikes look a mess with hand painting and not bothering to clean them to reduce their attractiveness.

However, no bike can ever be theft proof on the streets, especially if left long term.

melb-ourne

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 3, 2013
melb, australia
The Dutch often do this, they even make new bikes look a mess with hand painting and not bothering to clean them to reduce their attractiveness.

However, no bike can ever be theft proof on the streets, especially if left long term.
Yep that work...i got cheap bike with bafang crank kit... I have left it outside at work all day without locking and no one stolen it yet....lol. Crime is low in my area but i won't leave my cannondale outside for a min.
Pic of my bike...its the black bike with Aldi gel saddle with a green backpack on the rack
http://www.electricbike.com/bafang-bbso2-750w-mid-drive/

Last edited:

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
In his book "URBAN BIKERS' TRICKS & TIPS", Dave Glowacx has some pages on "How to Uglify your Bike", to reduce the risk of theft.

He mentions wrapping the frame with electrical tape or inner tubes, so that it could be removed, as well as the more permanent ugly paint job.

He also suggests "ride a junky looking used bike".

As other people on here have already said though, even that strategy would fail overnight, or on several consecutive days at the same place.

Everyone on here seems to agree that any bike will get nicked, and they're right.

I'm with the Brompton idea on this.

I know Cwah is very concerned about creating the wrong impression to his new work colleagues, but that's where the Brompton scores, surely ?

It must be just about the most trendy bike for city dwellers, (they're bl**dy expensive enough !)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
cwah, are you taking the Dahon to London?