What tyres do I buy?

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
for a Kalkhoff Agattu which is ridden in all weathers, often with a considerable weight on board, and nearly always on tarmac. If it's not on tarmac, it's on half a mile of well-drained almost-flat bridle path every now and then as a short-cut, which is more cobbles than mud.

Tyre size is 42-622, and one thing I do need is puncture-resistance.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
When I got my latest e bike in September 2010..it was fitted with "puncture resistant" tyres...
...In first week I got a puncture so I changed tyres for Schwalbe "marathon plus"
....since then I've done 2500 miles without a puncture....touch wood.

....Mike

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
When I got my latest e bike in September 2010..it was fitted with "puncture resistant" tyres...
...In first week I got a puncture so I changed tyres for Schwalbe "marathon plus"
....since then I've done 2500 miles without a puncture....touch wood.

....Mike
Exactly what happened to me. You can't beat Marathon Plus.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Plus one for the plus's if its puncture protection you are after :p

Note you still sometimes get punctures with them but its pretty rare!

I prefer lighter/faster rolling Kojaks and am prepared to fix punctures, one in 8 months/1500 miles so far. The wire beaded ones are also much cheaper.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Martahon plus are very good and I've always used them. However, about a year ago I switched to Continetal Travel Contacts

Have to say I prefer these as they seem just as bullet proof but the grip on wet roads is superior without question. Braking at the bottom of hills on wet roads is not the scary, slippery expereince it once was(Not a single puncture in a year of commuting). I think they may roll a bit better but this is neglible

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
I got Schwalbe "marathon plus" tyres and have 2 punctures this week but there is a lot of glass on the cycle lanes that was to late to avoid. "Slime" helped to get to my destination the 1st time, second time had to replace the inner tube in the rain which took me about half an hour. I guess its luck and the route you drive but without Schwalbe "marathon plus" I would probably get one a day!

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
It's going to be trial and error to find what suits you. I like big apples as the roads I use may as well be dirt tracks
and the cobbles are worse. MPs are very puncture resistant but I didn't like the ride.

karl101

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2011
A couple of weeks a go I got a pair of Continental TravelContact's Continental Bicycle -TravelContact about £25 each for my Wisper 905SEL.

I've pumped them up hard, about 60psi. They're much faster than the old ones, got upto 34.9mph on one of the downhills, and they've cut my 10min ride to work down to 7mins. They're also much better at absorbing the potholes, and have very little side to side movement. I am also sure that the battery is lasting much longer.

An excellent pair of bike shoes.

Karl.

Last edited:

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Martahon plus are very good and I've always used them. However, about a year ago I switched to Continetal Travel Contacts

Have to say I prefer these as they seem just as bullet proof but the grip on wet roads is superior without question. Braking at the bottom of hills on wet roads is not the scary, slippery expereince it once was(Not a single puncture in a year of commuting). I think they may roll a bit better but this is neglible
I've used Travel Contacts on my commuter mtb for 12 months without a puncture and MP's on my Ezee conversion (just replaced the Kenda on the rear with a MP after 2 punctures in 2 days..) so can recommend both tyres for puncture protection.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I like the continentals as well, they do seem to grip and roll a bit better than the MP's but I could be imaging it! :p

C

Cyclezee

For me it has to be Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

I have tried Continental Touring Plus which are similar to M+, but a puncture on a brand set of Contis after less than a mile did rather put me off them:(

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Thanks chaps. Looks like a two horse race then ...

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Thanks chaps. Looks like a two horse race then ...
I've had Travel contacts and Marathon plus, the MPs are in a different league for puncture protection. I found the Continentals very disappointing with a cut in the carcass making the tyre deform and I had to replace it after about 500 miles.
I thought the hybrid tread on the Continental would be good for the dirt tracks I ride, it turns out they made little difference in the dirt and weren't as good round corners on the road.

I've not liked either enough to buy another set though. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although nothing is a 100% guarantee against punctures, Schwalbe Marathon Plus are certainly the tops for puncture prevention and they are hard wearing. However, as a result of their thick inner layer protection they are a bit more rigid so less comfortable than your standard tyres. Since you are always on tarmac, carrying a substantial weight and have sprung forks and seatpost, I don't think the comfort reduction is a sufficient reason not to fit them.

I've used them on three e-bikes for over six years now and have had one puncture with them in that time, slow enough for me to get home anyway with a re-pump, and that was caused by my foolishly riding over piles of blackthorn cuttings on a cyclepath. Over the same period I've long since lost count of the number of punctures in my trailer wheels, not MP equipped. In another comparison, a Giant Lafree I owned had an MP on the rear only for the last 18 months I had it, during which it suffered four front punctures in it's standard tyre but no rear ones.

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
I have Big Apples on my Agattu, they are brilliant.
Also puncture resistant so i can see no down sides. I was put off the MP's by the hard ride comments from many people and i wanted a smoother ride on today's roads and when i do tow/cycle paths. Well worth the money.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I have Big Apples on my Agattu, they are brilliant.
Also puncture resistant so i can see no down sides. I was put off the MP's by the hard ride comments from many people and i wanted a smoother ride on today's roads and when i do tow/cycle paths. Well worth the money.
I love big apples but I'm put off recommending them wholeheartedly as they won't fit all bikes, if they do then they are great. You get a noticeable speed boost from the motor as well.
Yes they have the Kevlar lining but like similar tyres they aren't anywhere near as good with punctures as the MPs. For me the ride improvement is well worth the down sides.