What's happening at 50 Cycles?

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Hi flecc, I was writing my comment in reply to VFR400 when you posted yours and just posted mine without looking at yours, but they support each other very well!!

Reactions: flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Andrew told me that 50C dropped Oxygen because they wanted more reliable bikes. I wonder if they regret that decision now - probably not, because they're so arrogant.

• Informative

RetiredAndRolling

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2019
RG24
Many years ago I called in at their Loughborough HQ while passing. Many bikes to see and a useful visit to help me narrow my choice of e-bike.

Much later I received a sales call offering a great price on a bike. When it became apparent, almost accidentally, that it was a high speed model, I politely declined. Then the sales person became rather angry, questioning how I could refuse such an offer. Not a good experience but I put it down to a one-off rogue member of staff.

Subsequently I saw that their Shoreham branch had a ‘non-high speed’ model in stock. I drove for an hour and a half to see them during published business hours. On arrival I read a sign on the door: “closed - we gone to build a bonfire”.

That was the end of my engagement with the company. Disappointing after a promising start.

I did subsequently buy an e-bike, elsewhere.

Tallbiker

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2013
Farnham, Surrey
I would draw everyone's attention to the following link/website, which is yet another company set up by the Snaith brothers last year.

It looks as though they are setting up again using a company incorporated last year, through which they were to distribute their own assembled electric bikes.

It would seem to me that the Snaiths have a somewhat cavalier attitude when it comes to running a company, and have no qualms about ditching 50cycles ltd and it's debt & creditors in favour of starting another. May I remind you all that the 50cycles website is still live and bikes can still be purchased, which is inherently and morally wrong.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 25121

Search for "50 cycles" on this forum and you'll see mostly complaints going back to 2007.

50 Cycles has history and its not good.

Reactions: UrbanPuma

Beenconned

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2019
Hi just received some paperwork from mctear ,Williams & wood insolvency experts which confirms 50 cycles are finished. They have huge debt. I like several others have ordered and paid for bikes which we are not going to receive. I’ve also contacted my MasterCard provider so hopefully should get my £1900 back. what annoys me is the fact that they take your order knowing that they are finished

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I call it despicable as the buyer will never receive the goods, a shameful way to carry on and no doubt in any future re-incarnation's the forum will highlight any short comings.

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
.......and website is still active for orders.
Legally, the website changed to "50 cycles distribution limited" some while ago (see at the foot of each page), which is not the same as trading with the former 50cycles incarnation of this company. They do seem to have retained the "50cycles" branding as a trading style, which is perhaps a little tongue in cheek given the history, and some might even consider it morally questionable, but "pheonixing" isn't illegal.

My knowledge is a little rusty now in retirement, but as I recall, it would be illegal for the Directors to continue to trade if/once they knew the company was insolvent, hence I'd suspect this legal change of entity.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Why are BH bikes allowing them to tarnish their name? Or s re BH bikes no good

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Why are BH bikes allowing them to tarnish their name? Or s re BH bikes no good
That's a good question. they used to make some nice bikes, but customer support was always terrible. I can remember bikes off the road for months because of broken spokes that could be fixed at any local bike shop.

Reactions: EddiePJ

AL68

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 25, 2019
I would just like to add some comments to the context of this discussion. I ordered a bike from 50 cycles over two months ago and was slightly worried about all the noise surrounding the Company. Well I would just like to confirm that Scott has over these last 2 weeks kept in touch with me regarding the delivery progress and has today personally delivered my bike to me at home together with a small gift which was appreciated. You know in life some of us hit a patch of bad luck and maybe a little more understanding would not go amiss, and maybe we shouldn't always be so quick to judge when we don't know the full circumstances. Tolerance seems to be sadly lacking in the world today and I for one still have faith in human nature.

Last edited:

No Bike

Just Joined
Oct 23, 2019
Ordered mine in early august, with a deposit..... lots of updates all very good .........Scott left a message 8 Oct saying delivery next week....then nothing...........

Do u have a contact number for Scott?

• Informative

AL68

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 25, 2019
Ordered mine in early august, with a deposit..... lots of updates all very good .........Scott left a message 8 Oct saying delivery next week....then nothing...........

Do u have a contact number for Scott?
Sorry no just the 50 cycles number

• :D
Reactions: 50Hertz

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You know in life some of us hit a patch of bad luck and maybe a little more understanding would not go amiss, and maybe we shouldn't always be so quick to judge when we don't know the full circumstances. Tolerance seems to be sadly lacking in the world today and I for one still have faith in human nature.
While I know you might not mean it, it's almost insulting to say we don't know the full circumstances. Many of us, like me, have known the full circumstances around 50cycles for over 13 years. We know that for the odd good experience, and I've had two good ones myself long ago, there's many very unhappy ones that their customers have suffered.

D

Deleted member 25121

I would just like to add some comments to the context of this discussion. I ordered a bike from 50 cycles over two months ago and was slightly worried about all the noise surrounding the Company. Well I would just like to confirm that Scott has over these last 2 weeks kept in touch with me regarding the delivery progress and has today personally delivered my bike to me at home together with a small gift which was appreciated. You know in life some of us hit a patch of bad luck and maybe a little more understanding would not go amiss, and maybe we shouldn't always be so quick to judge when we don't know the full circumstances. Tolerance seems to be sadly lacking in the world today and I for one still have faith in human nature.
I'm pleased to hear that you've been fortunate enough to receive the ebike you ordered unfortunately the vast majority on here who have ordered from 50 Cycles recently have lost their money and deserve our sympathies rather than rebukes.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tbh i would have not accepted the bike and would want a full refund as the warranty now will imo be a problem if anything goes wrong as they have gone bust and say not there problem anymore.

that also means all the bikes with faulty impulse motors that they sold with the promise of a endless supply of motors to fix them with new 2 year warranty each time they failed means they are all now scrap.

No Bike

Just Joined
Oct 23, 2019
Look what has just arrived...https://tobaelectricbike.com/bh-launch-new-e-bikes-with-the-biggest-battery-ever-seen-in-the-uk/

Reactions: ebiker99