Where would you leave your bike?

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
Okay, so switching from car to e-bike negates the need to find a parking space, but where would you dare to leave your bike unattended? And what's the best lock (or combination of locks) to help make sure it's still there when you return?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A regularly asked question that has no foolproof solution. No matter what precaution you take, if you park it at the same location at the same times daily, it will almost certainly be stolen. Bicycle thieves do sometimes use vans to carry off bikes so only have to detach from street furniture.

The best you can do is double lock to a secure stand etc using two of the best D locks or a D lock and a very strong chain lock. Then that should be at varying locations in the area, and the locations are best if always busy with people. Removing the battery is also an added security measure to make the bike less attractive, and removing the saddle/seatpost as well is even better.

But nothing gives 100% protection, so insure as well.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
A regularly asked question that has no foolproof solution. No matter what precaution you take, if you park it at the same location at the same times daily, it will almost certainly be stolen. Bicycle thieves do sometimes use vans to carry off bikes so only have to detach from street furniture.

The best you can do is double lock to a secure stand etc using two of the best D locks or a D lock and a very strong chain lock. Then that should be at varying locations in the area, and the locations are best if always busy with people. Removing the battery is also an added security measure to make the bike less attractive, and removing the saddle/seatpost as well is even better.

But nothing gives 100% protection, so insure as well.
Sad but true.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I keep mine locked to a blacksmith's anvil but that's not very portable :confused:
When it's not attached to the anvil with a chain it's attached to my buttocks via the saddle ;)
I trust no one and if I do ride to work, it comes into the building with me.
Everyone is out to get your stuff, if they can't nick it they'll vandalise it.

I'm having a :mad: moment, I offered to make something for a "mate" at material cost as a favor, I've just now found out he's pre sold it at a handsome profit and would like another o_O

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Sorted :p

Jerry

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
When I have to leave my bike unattended, I usually chain it to a tree in the middle of a wood that gets maybe one visitor per month.

The only problem, sometimes, is finding it again. I've spent many desperate minutes wandering around a wood in the dark wishing I'd left a flashing light hung on the tree.

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
Unfortunately taking it into the building where I work is not an option - I work on the second floor of a shared building and I don't fancy lugging it up all those stairs.

I could chain it to the fire escape at the back, but that backs onto a service road which is worryingly quiet, even during the middle of the day. There is quite a lot of CCTV but having a film of your bike being stolen isn't all that helpful (I have little faith in the much-lauded deterrent power of CCTV).

I could certainly make it much less attractive though, by removing the battery, seat, and possibly front wheel too.

Anyone use a bike alarm?