which battery to buy, Alie express or em3ev

30Ah from Em3ev or 60Ah from ali express

• Total voters

Scrachdat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2016
Uk
Hello, I just want to give a bit of a background I am after a battery that can safely provide 60 amps with as much range as possible

this battery will be used for all 3 of my ebikes 1 stealth bomber style 1 electric moped and one BBSHD
E-moped being the most important

the E-moped draws 45Amps at 48V currently I have it running on a 52V 19Ah battery from em3ev which takes me about 30 miles

I am stuck in choosing a battery as I have found 2 but can't decide
Em3ev offers 14S9P 35E cells continuous 60 amps 30.6Ah/1500Watt hours,estimated 45 mile range

or Battery sir on aliexpress 13S28P unknown cells continuous 80 amps 60 Ah 2900 watt hours estimated 95 mile range

I am torn because I trust em3ev and they have a good reputation, however for near enough the same price I can get double the range from Ali express, does anyone have any experience with Battery sir on ali express?

and will the dropped volts from 52 to 48V affect top speed much?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Firstly, never buy a battery made from 'unknown' cells.

If you do a bit of research, you'll discover very few instances of individuals happy with their purchase of a battery from AliExpress in the long run. The same research will uncover lots of people happy with a battery purchased from EM3EV over the years. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Reactions: BG bicycle

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Whats wrong with sourcing locally, ie Insat in London?

What you`re buying wont come cheap so what happens when this chinese battery develops a duff cell or the BMS goes down? You`re then entering a world of pain if you have to send it back.

Chinese batteries = False economy.

all imo..

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
An 8 or 9p celled pack will either be a shrunk wrapped pack or in a bespoke case or a large triangle bag, I would give Jimmy @ Insat/Bga a call for a price he will make up a 80/90a or more rated pack probably for similar or less price.
With better cells then the 35E, most likely he will use GA or 30Q. Just let him know the specs of your max controller amps.

JohnnyBBadd

Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2016
Gloucestershire
Hello, I just want to give a bit of a background I am after a battery that can safely provide 60 amps with as much range as possible

this battery will be used for all 3 of my ebikes 1 stealth bomber style 1 electric moped and one BBSHD
E-moped being the most important

the E-moped draws 45Amps at 48V currently I have it running on a 52V 19Ah battery from em3ev which takes me about 30 miles

I am stuck in choosing a battery as I have found 2 but can't decide
Em3ev offers 14S9P 35E cells continuous 60 amps 30.6Ah/1500Watt hours,estimated 45 mile range

or Battery sir on aliexpress 13S28P unknown cells continuous 80 amps 60 Ah 2900 watt hours estimated 95 mile range

I am torn because I trust em3ev and they have a good reputation, however for near enough the same price I can get double the range from Ali express, does anyone have any experience with Battery sir on ali express?

and will the dropped volts from 52 to 48V affect top speed much?
If I were you, I wouldn't take either of the options you listed. Try https://ebikebatteries.co.uk/ and contact Jimmy. He'll build you a significantly better quality battery than you'll get from China, with genuine cells. If you get a problem with a Chinese bought battery, the least of your problems will be the time and the cost of rectifying it - you'd be better off just taking it to your nearest recycling plant and throwing it away.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tommie

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA

aliexpress 13S28P unknown cells continuous 80 amps 60 Ah 2900 watt hours estimated 95 mile range
30AH out of 9P = 3.3AH cell capacity, 6.6A per cell.
69AH out of 28P = 2.1AH cell capacity, 2,9 A per cell

The unknown cells, in my opinion, are likely from the laptop world, and while they work, may not hold up to the rigors of ebiking, even though there are a staggering 28 in parallel.

francis janssen

Jan 18, 2017
Epsom
If you want 60A continuous definitely go with EM3EV. Probably the safest battery maker in the world. I sell batteries too, and give UK warranty but I have them built from to specification and out sourced. Dont always rely on UK builders, some talk the the talk and then have disastrous effects.Before everyone bemoans China sellers, remember where your: Iphone, Macbook, Specilized bike, TV and etc are made from. The problem with Chinese sellers are there are also or rubbish too, and the skill is the UK buyer knowing who to deal with. That takes time and experience and often a disaster for the individual. We buy our batteries (the 52V) from China, inspect each battery, know it has genuine cells and warranty here in the UK.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
So what happens when my em3ev battery develops a couple of bad cells after a few months - do i take it round to him to fix it or whats the procedure??
Legally and not to risk confiscation by customs you can't simply post it back.
An arranged courier would have to pick it up if at all possible.

Safe bet is to speak to Jimmy at BGA as he deals with all shipments to and fro safely.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Legally and not to risk confiscation by customs you can't simply post it back.
An arranged courier would have to pick it up if at all possible.

Safe bet is to speak to Jimmy at BGA
as he deals with all shipments to and fro safely.
Yes of course, thats the the most sensible way to purchase.

You`re entering a world of pain if your chinese battery fails or develops a fault.

Having purchased from BGA/Insat in the past you can be confident that Jimmy uses only genuine cells and the build quality is second to none.

Zac

Jul 16, 2017
Never had any problems with Unit Pack Power on AliExpress. V fast delivery, tax free, genuine cells, German office, warranty support excellent too.

Last edited:

BG bicycle

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Bulgaria
If you want 60A continuous definitely go with EM3EV. Probably the safest battery maker in the world. I sell batteries too, and give UK warranty but I have them built from to specification and out sourced. Dont always rely on UK builders, some talk the the talk and then have disastrous effects.Before everyone bemoans China sellers, remember where your: Iphone, Macbook, Specilized bike, TV and etc are made from. The problem with Chinese sellers are there are also or rubbish too, and the skill is the UK buyer knowing who to deal with. That takes time and experience and often a disaster for the individual. We buy our batteries (the 52V) from China, inspect each battery, know it has genuine cells and warranty here in the UK.
To be fair to Insat, this company has allowed Andy Kirby (Youtube), visit and film Jimmy, making a battery or two. See most recent video.

Just ordered 210 Samsung 35E, of will be fitted into batteryblocs, no solder, no welding, no hassle.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Never had any problems with Unit Pack Power on AliExpress. V fast delivery, tax free, genuine cells, German office, warranty support excellent too.
They have had some bad feedback on ES recently.