Which bike for off-road?

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Recently I haven't really given much thought to which kit I might fit, it was really idle curiosity to see if Cytronex had produced a kit yet, I've not heard anything.

They are fitting their motors to hybrid bikes that are designed for road and tracks, so I suppose it depends what the intended 'off-road' usage will be.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Having broken three motors "on road" I wouldn't use the tongxin "off road". However with today's roads the two definitions have converged to become almost indistinguishable. I would say to deliberately give the tongxin motor any more abuse than is absolutely necessary is foolhardy to say the least.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Having broken three motors "on road" I wouldn't use the tongxin "off road". However with today's roads the two definitions have converged to become almost indistinguishable. I would say to deliberately give the tongxin motor any more abuse than is absolutely necessary is foolhardy to say the least.
Well ezee seems to be getting a good write-up?? Have you broken any of those Harry?

Edit: You're not one of the forum's secret traders are you?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Well ezee seems to be getting a good write-up?? Have you broken any of those Harry?

Edit: You're not one of the forum's secret traders are you?
I don't get it - please explain your post? Why or what would I be trading in?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No Harry isn't a secret trader, he's just highlighting the intrinsic fragility of the Tongxin with it's two part spindle etc. They have suffered many failures on the road so off-road could be unwise.

Internally geared hub motors like the eZee and Suzhou Bafang ones seem to be fairly robust in moderate off road use, but a direct drive motor is probably the best wheel motor choice for rough stuff. But the best motor position of all for that is in the middle like the Panasonic motor.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
No Harry isn't a secret trader, he's just highlighting the intrinsic fragility of the Tongxin with it's two part spindle etc. They have suffered many failures on the road so off-road could be unwise.

Internally geared hub motors like the eZee and Suzhou Bafang ones seem to be fairly robust in moderate off road use, but a direct drive motor is probably the best wheel motor choice for rough stuff. But the best motor position of all for that is in the middle like the Panasonic motor.
It was an attempt at sarcasm, given the current threads on the forum, I should have added a smiley :D Seems to be a touchy subject :cool:

But thanks for the explanation Flecc :)

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
No, not touchy just brief as written on a mobile 'phone. Well at least you admit it was sarcasm, rather than humour ;) Good luck with fitting your kit.

As for trading, I am not, nor likely to be a trader but if I was selling electric bikes I would very much like to sell Cytronex bikes, not Ezee. But I am just a punter who treats his bikes as a tool to get to and from work on a daily basis. Not many can cope with this treatment but I would put the Cytronex ahead of the Torq I and well, well ahead of the near useless Eco. I hope people find me sharing my experiences useful.

Flecc, thanks for the summary very useful for anybody who cannot be bothered to read 19 pages of this off-road thread and might think the Tongxin suitable for off-road.

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
How tough is the Tongxin when unpowered?

Does anyone take their Tongxin-powered bike off-road but not use the motor there?

Given the lightness and free running character of the motor, it might still be an interesting proposition for someone prepared to pedal, push or carry :eek: when the going is rough.

A sort of cyclocross perspective rather than mountain bike?

Cytronex confirms its unsuitability but perhaps implies that it could cope with rough surfaces when unpowered in its FAQ section:

‘Why isn't Cytronex fitted to mountain bikes?

‘Currently, Cytronex is only suitable for surfaced routes, it is not suitable for bumpy off-road terrain. The precision roller drive has the advantage of being silent, smooth and very efficient, but it is not designed for the regular impacts experienced by off-road mountain bike use. Using the motor in these situations is not recommended and Cytronex may push you faster than would be comfortable in this terrain. We also recommend leaving the motor off on cobbled streets.’

Haven’t some previous posters suggested that the Tongxin is much less vulnerable when unpowered?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
‘Currently, Cytronex is only suitable for surfaced routes, it is not suitable for bumpy off-road terrain. The precision roller drive has the advantage of being silent, smooth and very efficient, but it is not designed for the regular impacts experienced by off-road mountain bike use. Using the motor in these situations is not recommended and Cytronex may push you faster than would be comfortable in this terrain. We also recommend leaving the motor off on cobbled streets.’

Haven’t some previous posters suggested that the Tongxin is much less vulnerable when unpowered?
Yes unpowered you could get away with a lot more than powered - the spindle is hollow so obviously there is a limit to how much it could take. There is another thread about the retaining ring that is incredibly fragile and how to replace it (quite difficult as it happens). But this ring only disintegrates under power from experience and what I have heard (although I am happy to be corrected). I was responsible for the bit about not using power on cobbled streets by the way (a new and unique way of wrecking a tongxin motor). I will dig out the thread when I get a chance.

Last edited: