Which helmet for ebike? What do you use?

D

Deleted member 33385

Yeah these ski helmets should be quite warm. You can get visor ones even under 60£ from sale:

Those helmets are a great find. I'll definitely have to eventually get something like one of those. I was hoping to find something with MIPS like these:

The lower one is edited to show you what I mean. I don't think safe versions exist.

Reactions: mt247
D

Deleted member 33385

Yeah I doubt it, but those have replaceable visors so maybe you could fit larger one.
Finding a ready made visor which fits might be tricky - maybe I could make one by bending a polycarbonate sheet, if I could find the right polycarbonate sheet, and if I could bend it without it cracking or showing too much distortion while being worn. I don't know... My search continues! But only after I get a good look at the canary yellow thing which might arrive tomorrow. That's a great tip about the fake CE mark.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i would not wear one of those fixed visor helmets if you paid me a full face helmet and goggles are the best option in a crash but you get what you pay for.

if you head butted me with any of the ones you have posted with my fox pro carbon on it hurt you a lot more than it would me.

and the dentist cost a fortune. :eek:

Reactions: pentiumofborg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0222_03_01.JPG

when ppl see me coming going 30mph up the canal path its like Moses parting the waves with that on move or die!

D

Deleted member 33385

i would not wear one of those fixed visor helmets if you paid me a full face helmet and goggles are the best option in a crash but you get what you pay for.

if you head butted me with any of the ones you have posted with my fox pro carbon on it hurt you a lot more than it would me.

and the dentist cost a fortune. :eek:
That's all good food for thought! I'd best not headbutt you! I think that the helmets that you and mt247 are the best options in terms of safety. I would prefer greater visibility but I don't think it'll be possible.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
D

Deleted member 33385

i dont use goggles all the time but i also have some Oakley jarwbraker with the prizm trial lens for high contrast off road and best i have ever used. gold lens is in the pick as you can change them.

View attachment 40197

These googles were too big, not enough visibility from the sides. I'll post up a pic of my next protection headgear combination, but I doubt if it'll look as intimidating as yours!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0632.JPG

been there done that visor just steams up and bottom part is just clipped in so can easy be ripped off i just use it when i go to the dentist minus the helmet, they do not like that as need to lift it up to take my temp pmsl.

just get the best you can afford and spend the most on the helmet you can or look on ebay 2nd hand as sold that one in the pic for 45 quid i think and cost me over 150 when new.

just if im going 30mph and i hit a car going the same speed it wont have done much protection wise.

i have been ran over 2 times last year both had no helmets one was cut to bits on a race bike crossing the road and hit me standing still and another guy over 70 hit me going round a corner clipped my bars and went superman mode and was tko and had to get a ambulance after i dragged his ass out the ditch both on race bike with rim brakes and the old guy had his drop bars on upside down so could not brake anyway and lucky he never went in to the canal.

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020

i dont use goggles all the time but i also have some Oakley jarwbraker with the prizm trial lens for high contrast off road and best i have ever used. gold lens is in the pick as you can change them.

View attachment 40197
These googles were too big, not enough visibility from the sides. I'll post up a pic of my next protection headgear combination, but I doubt if it'll look as intimidating as yours!
This is my helmet during winter when I commute. It's -25 celsius now but my head stays warm! Also ski goggles with orange lenses increase visual ability in snow.

IMG_20210115_013013.jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id stick with something that and save ur penny's up buy cheap buy twice ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

just get the best you can afford and spend the most on the helmet you can or look on ebay 2nd hand as sold that one in the pic for 45 quid i think and cost me over 150 when new.
That's a good tip - hopefully nobody has died wearing it!

been there done that visor just steams up and bottom part is just clipped in so can easy be ripped off
Yep - it was rubbish, that's exactly what happened...

just if im going 30mph and i hit a car going the same speed it wont have done much protection wise.

i have been ran over 2 times last year both had no helmets one was cut to bits on a race bike crossing the road and hit me standing still and another guy over 70 hit me going round a corner clipped my bars and went superman mode and was tko and had to get a ambulance after i dragged his ass out the ditch both on race bike with rim brakes and the old guy had his drop bars on upside down so could not brake anyway and lucky he never went in to the canal.
Accidents do worry me, and that's two too many accidents! Explains why you spent so much on that helmet. Crazy not having access to the brakes at such speed... sheez... mind you, they wouldn't have slowed him down very much, rim brakes...

D

Deleted member 33385

This is my helmet during winter when I commute. It's -25 celsius now but my head stays warm! Also ski goggles with orange lenses increase visual ability in snow.

View attachment 40200

The gaffa makes it look even meaner!

-25 celsius?!?!?!??!? Where the hell are you? Antarctica?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
since lock down last year there is so many new ppl on bikes that can barley ride them and stay up right its a joke tbh esp down the canal it was fkn rammed all summer with bikes and dog walkers.

and the inverted drop bars was a thing in the 70s i found out :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 33385

buy cheap buy twice ;)
Aint that the truth... luckily the canary yellow one I can use when strimming and chopping wood with my axe in the garden (lots to chop at the moment)(it's the most exhausting exercise imaginable, is chopping wood), and the cheapo goggles will come in handy when soldering...

D

Deleted member 33385

Finland, it's really cold for now and a lot of snow too. Had to tape all the air vents my head would freeze otherwise!
I would never have guessed! You English is great! Far better than my any other language... usually code, badly remembered. I think it was -30 in Russia once, many years ago, when we stopped over in Moscow overnight at a hotel - triple glazed windows with two inches in between. Everyone Russian had a gun. That was COLD! Very impressive airport with gigantic pipes sawn at different lengths pointing down from a very high ceiling - some were 20ft wide. The best bit about that trip was flying over the Himalayas at dawn... with no heating in the cabin.