Which helmet for ebike? What do you use?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

thats the best i can find if you want a detachable chin guard for the best of both but not cheap.

D

Deleted member 33385

thats the best i can find if you want a detachable chin guard for the best of both but not cheap.
That's brilliant, thanks! In a collision, an integrated chinguard would be better protection I think, but I'll keep looking.

p.s. ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bell-Super-Air-R-MIPS-MTB-Helmet-Matt-Gloss-Blue-Hi-Viz/143886353864?hash=item21804b85c8:g:UJwAAOSwEvJf11ym

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
D

Deleted member 33385

and get some gloves ;)

View attachment 40201View attachment 40202

that broke my ass that did just lost the front wheel n splat all the skin on my hand was gone!
Whoa. Nasty stuff! Good job you're not a bleeder... Does everyone these days who cycles get into horrible scrapes or are you a wild risk-taking rider? At this rate we'll need full motorbike gear! I ordered these gloves a few hours ago, because I thought my fingers were going to get frostbite last night:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-winter-motorcycle-textile-Cordura-Gloves-with-Hipora-Waterproof/224076229112?hash=item342bfbe9f8:g:qaQAAOSwfONfCcLn

You're going to suggest some with carbon inserts aren't you? I looked at a lot of those but none I could find were completely waterproof and waterproof. Later maybe...

D

Deleted member 33385

all the skin on my hand was gone!
That can happen to drivers too with airbags when they set off while driving, and their hands are in the wrong position - it's called "Degloving", because all of the skin of the hand comes off in one piece, like a glove...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
something is better than nothing as i found out but those fake ones are no better than the real ones that are 50 quid a pair.

no good in the cold tho so use silk under gloves with my big cold weather gloves ;)

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

something is better than nothing as i found out but those fake ones are no better than the real ones that are 50 quid a pair.

no good in the cold tho so use silk under gloves with my big cold weather gloves ;)
Cheers! That's a good find! Good seller rating too... thanks for looking that up.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

;)

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
These have fake ce markings and there are also the china export one:

My favourite example was a weather jacket embroidered or whatever with the correct logo, font, etc, saying 'North Fake'.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Here's a thought about gloves, I bought a pair of warm winter cycling gloves, OK, but not v waterproof.
The problem arose when I got thrown by a tramline, going down hill @ 10mph. I put my hands out as I went down, the soft fabric palm gripped the road, the rest of me kept going, a severely sprained wrist resulted. That was 2nd week in December, wrist just about recovering now.
I don't know what the solution might be, I've considered going down with a clenched fist, if I've time to react.
I have a hard shell skateboard helmet - a freebie, does the job. Seriously considering a mips tho, after reading all this.

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
Here's a thought about gloves, I bought a pair of warm winter cycling gloves, OK, but not v waterproof.
The problem arose when I got thrown by a tramline, going down hill @ 10mph. I put my hands out as I went down, the soft fabric palm gripped the road, the rest of me kept going, a severely sprained wrist resulted. That was 2nd week in December, wrist just about recovering now.
I don't know what the solution might be, I've considered going down with a clenched fist, if I've time to react.
I have a hard shell skateboard helmet - a freebie, does the job. Seriously considering a mips tho, after reading all this.
I use handlebar mittens during winter. Keeps your hands really warm!

bar mitts.jpg

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The following is a true story and is the danger of the inappropriate choice of helmet.
It was relayed to me by a guy I met at an Inn , about 18 months ago. He was part of a group of serious cyclists travelling from Dublin to Belfast ,on what was a very standard Maracycle event .. thousands would take part. These were the serious guys and would do 60 miles in 2 hours . Anyway a member of his family gave him money for a nice helmet and he purchased a ski helmet. Unfortunately he came off the bike..non ebike of course, and the stud used to mount a visor on the ski helmet smashed his temple and he has been in a coma basically since.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Just found and ordered a Giro Fixture Mips helmet at go outdoors - £50 with the discount card, £3.25 postage. Fluorescent yellow. A pair of those waterproof lobster gloves have just arrived too.

D

Deleted member 33385

There is zero chance of the visor fogging up (unless you wear a balaclava or mask) because it's kept far enough away from the face to prevent it, with plenty of air in between. In a frontal impact towards the face, the force would be transferred and delivered by the visor (if it doesn't shatter into shards and stab you in the face and eyes at multiple points) to the botton of the chin, as the entire helmet rotates around the head, because it's so alarmingly large: My head is a "medium" ie 56cm-ish... Quite what sort of humanoid monster has a skull which this helmet is designed to accommodate, eludes me - perhaps abominable snowman or Meekon?

The helmet's advertised "high density buffer layer", which is glued to the ABS shell, is only about 6mm thick, and slippery. Although limited rotational movement of about 15 degrees is some of what makes MIPS helmets "work", the movement allowed here is only restricted by the chin strap. I think that 6mm of "high density buffer layer" is woefully inadequate in thickness: it won't provide any useful protection. The third layer is simply 10mm soft sponge and exists only at the front, sides and back - not the top. The large visor protects the entire face from wind-chill and allows a truly useful full field of view in terms of angles, but is let down by varying thickness of the visor material... it's a little like looking at the world distorted by a fun-house mirror. No thanks, I'll pass.

This bike helmet is dangerous for it's intended use on a bicycle, but seems perfect for strimming weeds in my garden... On the other hand, it's provides much more head protection than I used in the 1980s: nothing at all.

This 18 minute video makes a convincing case for MIPS:

I've had to look at the logo on this helmet again... I still can't believe it's actually called a joke:

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

How does it look inside?

The middle "high density buffer layer" part, is slippier than it looks. The fleece does keep ears warm - air is directed past the ears by the large visor:

This helmet is so large that I started wondering if it was large enough to accommodate a smaller MIPS helmet inside it. With a 10mm thick "Low Alpine" fleece hat, it doesn't slip as much in use.

I don't recommend that anyone buys or uses this helmet on any mode of transport!

Last edited: