which kit for carrea hellcat

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Oh gosh that's expensive ..I been looking on eBay at 48v 1000w 26in kits around 200 pounds ..but he'll cat is 3 inch bigger ..what battery have u got on your
I have £500 worth of LiPo batteries on mine but this type.is only for people who know how to maintain them correctly .
In novice hands they are like a bomb and people have burnt their houses down with them!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
link just goes to ebay home page?

tammi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 20, 2015
I have £500 worth of LiPo batteries on mine but this type.is only for people who know how to maintain them correctly .
In novice hands they are like a bomb and people have burnt their houses down with them!
Seriously wow... is that because they have left then on charge for far too long

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
this is what happens why its hard to get them posted out side uk

they can blow up air planes

Reactions: Kinninvie

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the hellcat better bike tbh and will be about the same price when all done and be much better bike as pic looks like 3 speed on rear?

also if he wants full sus or down hill bike in the future the mid drive be much better option.

tammi

Dec 20, 2015
the hellcat better bike tbh and will be about the same price when all done and be much better bike as pic looks like 3 speed on rear?

also if he wants full sus or down hill bike in the future the mid drive be much better option.
He's like 16 lol so I'm trying help him out however I seem more confused than him about it...but ur help is helping xxx

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
does he want to fit this himself ? like do you have all the tools ect for the job?

C

Cyclezee

Well I'm actually a lawyer so when they use the word legal it doesn't really mean anything to me as I stand on common jurisdiction .. I won't bore u with the details ;) mainly for off road and some road riding.. there's so much technical know how needed I'm a little confused
Hi Tammi,
Some personal questions if I may.
How old is your son and do you love him?
Do you have access to private land i.e. somewhere legal to ride it?
From your age, i'm guessing that your son is early to mid teens at the most and this will probably sound boring to someone that age, but why not get him something legal that he can ride anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cyclezee

Plus

Even if travelling more than 30mph they would have to provide evidence which is not going to be easy as they need to have measured over a certain distance :)
Uh nope, if he is stopped by the police which is probably unlikely unless he has an accident, then they might find the bike is illegal.
The worst scenario is that he is involved in an accident in which he or someone else is injured or killed.
Were that to happen he would need a very good lawyer.

Reactions: tammi

tammi

Dec 20, 2015
Th
Uh nope, if he is stopped by the police which is probably unlikely unless he has an accident, then they might find the bike is illegal.
The worst scenario is that he is involved in an accident in which he or someone else is injured or killed.
Were that to happen he would need a very good lawyer.
ThatsThat's a fair point to be considered I guess

Reactions: Cyclezee

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Why does a young man want an electric bike? If he is healthy then he is probably capable of going generally faster on a standard bike than any legal electric one. Did you know that, legally, the cut of speed for assistance is 25kph (15.5 mph)? Also the wattage rating limit is 250W. There are many kits that are faster and bigger but not legal to use anywhere except private land to which the public do not have access. Hope you have a big estate !
Also the bigger the motor and the faster you go the less the battery range, significantly less.
The hellcat looks like a nice bike and I guess it would take a bottom bracket motor or rear wheel hub quite nicely. With a bottle battery on the down tube the balance would be good.
I have a 250W hub motor on my bike and its hill climbing ability is outstanding. I'm in my 60's and, believe me, that motor does most of the work up my local welsh hills. So, if he wants it to help uphill a legal kit, wisely chosen, will do the trick. If it's speed he wants then it is going to be on the shady side.
My kit is an Ezee from at Cyclezee who posted earlier.

Reactions: tammi and Cyclezee
C

Cyclezee

That's a fair point to be considered I guess
Hi Tammi,

I hope you understand that I'm not trying to be a killjoy, just pointing out the potential pitfalls of making the wrong decision.

Reactions: tammi

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
If you're not living on the edge, you are taking up to much room.

Reactions: tammi and Cyclezee