Which Kit?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
OK!

Will this stuff work with any sort of battery, e,g, car batteries.
Yes and no. It's all about how much current (Amps) can be supplied by the battery. Car batteries are Lead Acid, and this technology cannot supply anywhere near the amount of current (pound for pound) of modern lithium based batts. That said, it will work, albeit with reduced performance and/or more weight/bulk.

If you are just testing things, then SLA's would will be enough to prove its all working.

In the real world, SLA's don't make sense on a bike anymore.

D

Deleted member 4366

As long as you have a total voltage between 29v and 53v, it'll work. The controller doesn't care where it comes from.

D

Deleted member 4366

Car batteries are Lead Acid, and this technology cannot supply anywhere near the amount of current (pound for pound) of modern lithium based batts.
I don't know about pound for pound, but you can drive a one ton car using just the battery and the starter motor. I know that because I've done it a couple of times when my motor conked out in traffic. You should be able to get 200 amps from one. An Ebike will be nothing for it.

Reactions: Alan Quay

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I don't know about pound for pound, but you can drive a one ton car using just the battery and the starter motor. I know that because I've done it a couple of times when my motor conked out in traffic. You should be able to get 200 amps from one. An Ebike will be nothing for it.
I've done it too, but I've never made it to the shops and back.

For a bike you will need three of 'em for a start, and the high discharge ones (starter batteries) dont like being fully discharged often so you would have about 25 ah of usable charge.

Next question: Where can I get a 75 kilo rear rack!

D

Deleted member 4366

I met a guy once on my ride to work. He was pulling a trailer, and not pedalling, so I chased after him to see what he's got. I wish I'd taken a photo. He used a big hub-motor that he'd recycled from a scooter or something. The trailer was home-made from recycled scooter wheels, which he said was very heavy, and the car batteries were inside. I tried to lift it to see how heavy, but I couldn't get it off the ground.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I met a guy once on my ride to work. He was pulling a trailer, and not pedalling, so I chased after him to see what he's got. I wish I'd taken a photo. He used a big hub-motor that he'd recycled from a scooter or something. The trailer was home-made from recycled scooter wheels, which he said was very heavy, and the car batteries were inside. I tried to lift it to see how heavy, but I couldn't get it off the ground.
Excellent! Did you ask him what sort of range he got?

camerart

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2012
Dorset
Thanks, all interesting.

I do have the idea of a single wheel trailer with power hub, (to keep it narrow, for traffic and tracks) mostly for batteries, that could have 'say; a top box for a bit of luggage. As a pusher for a bike, but that's a long way off.

camerart

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2012
Dorset
I was looking over my conversion kit order, and 24VOLTS jumped out at me!!! I have ordered the 24V controller. I read it like I did with the readout, as 24V/36V, but the controller voltage needs to be stipulated. I've contacted them, and hope they can change the order. I've made so many mistakes on orders, that I'm getting used to it. A bit of dyslexia I think.

I see now why I got onto the 24V thing earlier.

D

Deleted member 4366

They'll change it, ut keep sending messages until they acKnowledge the change. Ask them to confirm the change. You can add a note to your order under the "my orders" tab.

camerart

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2012
Dorset
Got confirmation this morning.
Phew! At 24V I would have been over taken by ramblers.

Last edited:

blenkins

Just Joined
Jan 19, 2014
Got confirmation this morning.
Phew! At 24V I would have been over taken by ramblers.
Please post some photos of the kit when arrives. I'm toying with a similar upgrade to my bike. Price and quality of that kit looks very good. One thing I'm not sure of: Does a powered rear wheel have space for 7 speed shimano gears? I can't really tell from their specs.

D

Deleted member 4366

Does a powered rear wheel have space for 7 speed shimano gears? I can't really tell from their specs.
Yes, but most rear hub-motors have the thread for free-wheel gears. If you have cassette (free-hub) gears, you might want to pay a bit more for a cassette motor.

blenkins

Just Joined
Jan 19, 2014
I'll have to do a bit more research to find out. I noticed on the bms site they sell the gears. The bike is about 14 years old, but frame is light and sturdy.

camerart

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2012
Dorset
Please post some photos of the kit when arrives. I'm toying with a similar upgrade to my bike. Price and quality of that kit looks very good. One thing I'm not sure of: Does a powered rear wheel have space for 7 speed shimano gears? I can't really tell from their specs.
Hi Blenkins,

I hope it is the right size as I also have 7 speed shimano gear (threaded) I think it should be 135mm between the frame.

I'll post photos.

Cheers, Camerart.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'll have to do a bit more research to find out. I noticed on the bms site they sell the gears. The bike is about 14 years old, but frame is light and sturdy.
If you have a top gear with 14 teeth (14T), it's probably a free--wheel set, and 11T, a cassette.