Which UK couriers will ship a battery?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
It's all a bit of a farce really, my last cell purchase from our well known EU supplier came taped together in a thin jiffy bag delivered by RM. Safety, protocol, liability, they are just words.

D

Deleted member 25121

ParcelForce general prohibitions and restrictions for retail customers taken from their website at

Amongst many other things, these batteries are not allowed:

Batteries that are classified as dangerous goods and certain used batteries (including wet spillable lead acid/lead alkaline batteries (such as car batteries), used alkaline metal, nickel metal hybride (NiMH), nickel cadmium (NiCd), zinc-air batteries, and damaged batteries of any type).

Batteries, specifically new and used lithium batteries when not sent with or connected to an electronic device.

The person at aardvark5's post office is unaware of their restrictions.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Theoretically the battery is connected to an electronic device as it has a BMS/PCB wired to it.

Reactions: KirstinS

Jim e

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 4, 2020
Hi there
I asked a uk seller of ebike that would be good size for wife it’s a small frame would it ship to Northern Ireland from England came back said no as of lithium battery shipping policy I did watch a utube video of a ebike with exploding battery and now I can see there issue

Reactions: Kierandgaf

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
for a courier to take your battery, the courier needs the battery to be packed according to UN transport protocol and the sender is insured against any problem caused by the battery to the courier's warehouse and onto the destination.
That means in practice that the battery has to be retrieved by a company with suitable insurance and the package is properly labelled.
We send batteries to NI and other countries in the EU with DPD Europe.

Reactions: Jim e

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Are batteries getting safer?
I have lithium batteries in so many devices these days without problems, whereas in the early days of vaping I had one explode when being recharged.

Reactions: Jim e

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
I was surprised that Evans can't post a battery but will only do click and collect. I quess for the usual reasons.

Incidentally, Evans have a sale on batteries at the moment. I just bought a silver Bosch frame Powerpack 500 for £640.

Darren

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Do you think I'll find a seller of an ebike from UK that is shipping to Germany? I've contacted some and a few didn't even mention the battery issue but said they are not shipping to Germany because of the German Packaging Act. I googled that law and found this: https://www.lizenzero.de/en/blog/german-packaging-act-in-the-uk-obligations-when-shipping-to-germany/ I didn't know that there is such a thing!
If a small company wants to sell into Germany, they really shouldn't have too much difficulty with this. Looks like unless you use several tonnes of packaging per year, it is just register and pay 39 euros a year.

20220116_101309.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Are batteries getting safer?
I have lithium batteries in so many devices these days without problems, whereas in the early days of vaping I had one explode when being recharged.
There's no mention of what cells Powabykes use, and it was an old battery purchased in 2014, exploded in 2020:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
There's no mention of what cells Powabykes use, and it was an old battery purchased in 2014, exploded in 2020:

The Powabyke lithium batteries i've come across have been a bit unusual,being assembled in a 10S3P config. with no BMS using Sanyo 2000mah cells. AFAIK they remained like this for many years of production, so must have been tested and passed as safe. There are those who refer to BMS's as "battery murder systems" and direct or bulk charge their battery packs. Have a look on ES for more info on this.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
I recently sent a Battery to Jimmy at INSAT for attention . Jimmy does the arrangements and UPS picked up and APC returned it . It is at the Customer`s risk as Carriers won`t insure the Battery . If it goes walkies you lose .

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I recently sent a Battery to Jimmy at INSAT for attention . Jimmy does the arrangements and UPS picked up and APC returned it . It is at the Customer`s risk as Carriers won`t insure the Battery . If it goes walkies you lose .
I don't like that they don't accept Paypal for battery purchases:

"PLEASE NOTE THAT WE DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL PAYMENTS FOR THIS ITEM. ANY PAYMENTS RECEIVED BY PAYPAL WILL BE REFUNDED."

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

"PLEASE NOTE THAT WE DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL PAYMENTS FOR THIS ITEM. ANY PAYMENTS RECEIVED BY PAYPAL WILL BE REFUNDED."
it costs to sell via paypal it is not free so makes sense not to use it on expensive items as a payment option and the best we got for custom batt builders in the uk with a 30k spot welder :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
it costs to sell via paypal it is not free so makes sense not to use it on expensive items as a payment option and the best we got for custom batt builders in the uk with a 30k spot welder :p

I have no boubt their work is of high quality, but I prefer Paypal payment protection to that of credit card... 400 to 800 squids lost in transit, is a lot of AWOL squids.

Where could I get battery carriage insured?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I too, stopped accepting paypal for two years now.
It's all down to their change of T&Cs. Before, when an order is cancelled, I refund the customer and Paypal refunds me their fees minus 50p. So the cost of cancellation to me is 50p.
Now, they don't refund their fees if I issue a refund. On a bike, that's 3%. Ouch.

I have no boubt their work is of high quality, but I prefer Paypal payment protection to that of credit card... 400 to 800 squids lost in transit, is a lot of AWOL squids.
I can live with paypal protection, it's the issue of fees. I pay very little using my Clover card terminal.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I too, stopped accepting paypal for two years now.
It's all down to their change of T&Cs. Before, when an order is cancelled, I refund the customer and Paypal refunds me their fees minus 50p. So the cost of cancellation to me is 50p.
Now, they don't refund their fees if I issue a refund. On a bike, that's 3%. Ouch.
This must be a recent change to their T&Cs - I had noticed that some sellers of electronic goods had also recently ceased accepting Paypal... but then switched back because buyers prefer it: I do, because I like that Paypal (in my experience) always takes the buyers side in any dispute. To date, with decades of use, I have always been refunded whenever there has been an issue.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they have changed everything as a ebay seller i can not use paypal any more as ebay uses another company for the payments so goes direct in to my bank account and takes 3 working days.

i can still use pp to pay for things on ebay just i cant use it for selling items anymore so have to fork out for the postage and send out the item with out even having the money in my bank account and not used it to sell anything since.