Whoosh Crank-Drive Tongsheng Kit review.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Ok, so the frame can't accomodate an equivalent 13S battery, fair enough. Booster battery?
yes, it does, but the battery is only 36V.
If I were to build a CD bike with that frame, I would use the easier to fit 36V Gospade motor.]

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ok, so the frame can't accomodate an equivalent 13S battery, fair enough. Booster battery?
I would need to buy 48V 10.5AH battery in the same casing. The cost would be the same.
Using the Gospade is a lot simpler. It'll take me half an hour to fit.

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Woosh,
For the benefit of members who may be contemplating putting the Tongsheng TSDZ2, or other CD kit, onto a full suspension (FS) bike, can you give suggestions for suitable candidates as donors?
Which bottom bracket types/sizes do the donors need?
The obvious problem is mounting a battery to a FS bike.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
it won't. The gearbox on the TSDZ2 is about 15mm wider than the gearbox on the BBS01/BBS02.
Whoosh- you didn't answer Eagle's question or perhaps you may need more time to consider?

QUOTE"
Just out of interest and for the benefit of other members, do you know of any suitable FS donor bikes for a Tongsheng TSDZ2 kit?
Woosh probably knows."ENDQUOTE.

I'd love to know too.

Cheers, Tony.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Whoosh- you didn't answer Eagle's question or perhaps you may need more time to consider?

QUOTE"
Just out of interest and for the benefit of other members, do you know of any suitable FS donor bikes for a Tongsheng TSDZ2 kit?
Woosh probably knows."ENDQUOTE.

I'd love to know too.

Cheers, Tony.
sorry! You need the rear spring connected to the top tube and make sure that there is enough space for a 42T chain ring.

Something like this:

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Woosh,
Thanks.
Whilst pretty common in the USA, the Cannondale Rizes are a bit thin on the ground in the UK, so do you know of any other suitable FS bikes off the top of your head?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Before I built the zobop I walked into evans and halfords and decathlon with a card board cut out and a tape measure you can eye the frame up :) the bbs 02 or hd will fit into most bottom brackets 68-72mm 74-75mm at a push with a California ebikes motor mount ;).[even a cyclone 3kw:eek:]

The problem is the downtube battery packs a hailong pack might fit the type one is 90mmx90mm most shark or whale struggle unless the shock mount clears or build your own pack [mesure twice make sure to check at full compression of the shock:mad::rolleyes: i forgot a costly mistake ]

It is buyer beware on a donor bike will it fit or will it not on a fs bike, or you end up with the battery under the down tube try a google image search a lot of people use the lunar cycles mini cube pack
Have not fitted a tsdz2 yet but the lug mount anti rotation on the back might require an extra bracket fitted or a custom frame as the rear stays pivot on most fs bikes post a picture before you buy a donor bike

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
sorry! You need the rear spring connected to the top tube and make sure that there is enough space for a 42T chain ring.

Something like this:

Thanks Whoosh for this. For those new to bikes like I am/was a few short months ago, the technical drawing of the motor does not show this absolutely critical measurement when contemplating if your bike will be suitable for a crank-drive kit. I have marked where it is in red. This may seem very basic to you experienced guys but believe me when you know absolutely nothing about bikes it can be very confusing.

Attachments

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Have seen one with bbs02/bbshd fitted and a hailong 2 battery the rear anti rotation bracket on the tsdz will require a bracket made to work

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Richmond Hill, Bournemouth

From Bournemouth Square to Richmond Hill Roundabout is .23 miles
An ascent of 92ft gradient varies, but up to 10.8% .

Source Mapometer.
Know it well

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Richmond Hill, Bournemouth

From Bournemouth Square to Richmond Hill Roundabout is .23 miles
An ascent of 92ft gradient varies, but up to 10.8% .

Source Mapometer.
Know it well
Crossroads,
Thank you for this, I just know it's a really steep one with a silly cycle lane.
Tony.

divingshrek

Finding my (electric) wheels
Thanks Whoosh for this. For those new to bikes like I am/was a few short months ago, the technical drawing of the motor does not show this absolutely critical measurement when contemplating if your bike will be suitable for a crank-drive kit. I have marked where it is in red. This may seem very basic to you experienced guys but believe me when you know absolutely nothing about bikes it can be very confusing.
Another critical dimension omitted from the drawing is the radius of the gear housing. On my Nucleus 275 the chainstay is 7mm outboard of the BB at that distance. I suspect many MTBs with 2"+ wide tyres are going to have this issue.

Cheers
Ian

MotorDrawing3.jpg

DavidSWP

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2016
Woosh,
For the benefit of members who may be contemplating putting the Tongsheng TSDZ2, or other CD kit, onto a full suspension (FS) bike, can you give suggestions for suitable candidates as donors?
Which bottom bracket types/sizes do the donors need?
The obvious problem is mounting a battery to a FS bike.
I have a TSDZ2 fitted to a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper. It is brilliant.
The only fitting issue is that you can't secure the anti-rotation bracket to anything. You would struggle to incorporate the anti-rotation feature on any full-suspension bike to be honest, because the bit of the bike it normally secures to moves up and down. The motor doesn't rotate anyway as long as everything is nicely tightened up (250W 36v)

Don't get a Stumpjumper later than 2007 though because I believe they changed the bottom bracket to a more non-standard one.

Reactions: M1watch

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
With the suspension bottomed out, the motor must be very low. I gave up on the idea of fitting a BBS into a stumpy because of this. Any bike with a modern bent downtube will have the same problem when ridden on rocks & roots.
Steve.

Reactions: M1watch

OldManToy

May 4, 2019
Hey everyone, that Gospade system looks interesting and I like the bottle style battery. I might be missing something but I can't find it for sale in the UK. Can anyone help with that? Or do you have it @Woosh ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
good morning OldManToy,
I only have a sample of the Gospade that has been modified for me. It's a very interesting design which should be easily modified to work with different bottom bracket types like Press Fit. That's what attracted me to the Gospade. I still plan to bring them in this Autumn.
If you want to buy one, contact Gospade directly. They are slightly cheaper than Bafang.

OldManToy

May 4, 2019
good morning OldManToy,
I only have a sample of the Gospade that has been modified for me. It's a very interesting design which should be easily modified to work with different bottom bracket types like Press Fit. That's what attracted me to the Gospade. I still plan to bring them in this Autumn.
If you want to buy one, contact Gospade directly. They are slightly cheaper than Bafang.
Thanks for the advice. I've emailed them. Have you used your sample unit enough to get a sense of it? I'm interested in responsiveness from a standing start and robustness. I'd only be commuting 8 miles each way. My objective is to avoid breaking a sweat, which currently happens due to two slight inclines.