Whoosh Crank-Drive Tongsheng Kit review.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks for the advice. I've emailed them. Have you used your sample unit enough to get a sense of it? I'm interested in responsiveness from a standing start and robustness. I'd only be commuting 8 miles each way. My objective is to avoid breaking a sweat, which currently happens due to two slight inclines.
I have not used it much because I have 8 bikes :) - but it looks well built.
If you buy from them, ask for the 36V 100NM version.

OldManToy

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 4, 2019
I have not used it much because I have 8 bikes :) - but it looks well built.
If you buy from them, ask for the 36V 100NM version.
8 bikes! I got in trouble when I hit 5, so jealous of you. If you want to sell that unit on then PM me...

Forestier

Just Joined
Sep 4, 2019
Question to vidtek:
Are you still happy with your TSDZ2 conversion?
I am planning to buy from Woosh and install this winter but I see some report various problems with the Tongsheng.
My riding is all on tarmac with quite a few short but steep hills.
I am hoping most of the reported problems come from off road use and/or modifications to boost the power?
Anyway, be great to see read an update.
Thanks

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Question to vidtek:
I am planning to buy from Woosh and install this winter but I see some report various problems with the Tongsheng.
I am hoping most of the reported problems come from off road use and/or modifications to boost the power?
Thanks
He hasn't been seen on here since early May

Usually that means folk are off enjoying their bike !

Or got bored

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Question to vidtek:
Thanks
I do get bored easily! But I have an email alert on this thread so just received it. Forestier- I have been using the bike on and off for a while now, I fell off it after a cat ran out in front of me in a small alley and I wrapped myself around a lamppost at 15mph. As I'm an old fart it's taken me a while to heal from my injuries so have only just started to get back on it on a regular basis.
I am still very happy with this kit's performance and recommend it highly.
I can't see the point of modifyng it too much other than tinkering with the software to gain efficiency and battery life increases. It really does everything I could ask of it, and is street legal. I really don't want to go any faster than 15mph on a bike-I know how much metal fixed objects hurt when you hit them at that speed, I certainly wouldn't like to try the same at 20mph!
Tony.

Reactions: John south

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I now have two bikes with a tsdz2 and have built a few others.I will never bother fitting a bbs01 again
Yes they do have minor niggles and are not as easy to install as the bbs0 1/2 due to the anti turn bracket
Over all I can say I enjoy the ride the tsdz provides but you have to provide a lot more human effort

Reactions: M1watch

M1watch

Jun 30, 2019
I have a TSDZ2 fitted to a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper. It is brilliant.
The only fitting issue is that you can't secure the anti-rotation bracket to anything. You would struggle to incorporate the anti-rotation feature on any full-suspension bike to be honest, because the bit of the bike it normally secures to moves up and down. The motor doesn't rotate anyway as long as everything is nicely tightened up (250W 36v)

Don't get a Stumpjumper later than 2007 though because I believe they changed the bottom bracket to a more non-standard one.

Ahhhhh gutting, was looking to get one and stick the Tongy on it. The wife loves her build, great motor.

WillW

Oct 3, 2019
Many thanks for posting this detailed and very positive review of the Woosh Tongsheng kit. After endless research online, I'd more or less decided on this kit (the torque sensor was the deciding factor). My only hesitancy was the warning on the Woosh webpage for this kit, that "the space between the motor's bottom bracket and the motor's housing is not enough to accommodate your cable guide."
A bit more detail would have been useful here, but your post clarified the situation perfectly, giving the actual distance required.
My bike is a fairly new Voodoo Marasa hybrid, and the cable guide is a simple plastic piece with 2 grooves held on by a single central screw. I doubt it's over 3mm, so I'll be phoning Woosh in the morning just to confirm this before ordering.
It'll be my first ebike conversion and I'm looking forward to the project (undaunted - I live with motorbikes). Mostly I'm looking forward to cycling uphill without the graft!
I live in Devon, it's all hills, and I'm old though fairly fit from daily walking (different muscles entirely of course). I like pedalling on the flat, but I really want the effort taken out of the uphill stretches.. I'm hoping this is the kit to do that. I surely can't afford the £2,500 Bosch-powered bike they tried to sell me at the local bike shop!

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Hi
The plastic and screw will get in the way of the motor and the rear anti turn bracket , one gear cable to the rear will still be required .
The fix is easy just fit a new gear cable outer which only costs a few pounds and some cable ties

WillW

Oct 3, 2019
Ah, ok, thanks for the tip. The O.P. seemed to suggest that if it could be got down to 3mm it should be ok.I doubt it's 3mm proud of the bracket now, but if I change the round headed screw for a flat one & sand down the plastic a bit it'll certainly be less than 3mm. But if it really has to go completely, I shall do as you suggest.IMG_1261.JPG

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
After endless research online, I'd more or less decided on this kit (the torque sensor was the deciding factor).
The torque sensor offers very little for a hybrid type bike. It might even bring more disadvantages than advantages. I wouldn't say that it should be the main deciding factor. I'd be looking at things like ease of installation and reliability along with the important performance characteristics like speed and power, and finally, support and spares availability. Other characteristics like how well the power delivery matches the way you want it is very much a personal thing. It depends on your own circumstances and where you ride. You can only figure that out by comparing actual bikes/systems, not from somebody else's review.

If you read all the reviews and build stories, you'll find very few owners, who were unhappy with their newly installed kit -whatever it was, though you might find a few that came back 6 months later to tell a story about a different kit that they installed, which they're also happy with.

WillW

Oct 3, 2019
Why should this kit " offers very little for a hybrid type bike" ?
Speed isn't an issue. My sole requirement is relaxed leisure cycling around the lanes and byways where I live. I want to carry on pedalling as usual, but with some help kicking in up the hills.
Installation isn't an issue as long I can confirm it'll fit in the space as discussed above.
As for reading reviews, I've researched until my eyes are square!
All reports of Woosh customer service/back-up seem reassuring.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I didn't say that the kit offered very little. I'm talking about torque sensors. A cadence sensor would be better for relaxed cycling. They're also generally more trouble-free. Woosh give excellent backup and support. They're a good supplier. I'm just saying that that should be more important to you than what type of sensor you get. Remember, I said just about everybody is happy with their kit whatever they fit.

Here are my guidelines:
  • Avoid those cheap big direct drive motor kits at all costs
  • Don't buy a cheap battery
  • Don't buy a hub-motor kit that doesn't have at least an LED control panel. An LCD is better.
  • A crank-drive kit is necessary for extreme hills.
  • Keep your torque sensors for situations where you need precise control, like serious off-road stuff. Even then, some torque sensors are rubbish, so be careful.
  • Fit a throttle if you can.
  • All kits give you some sort of problems to fit, though crank-drives are normally easier if you have a standard bike.
  • Hub motors are more reliable than crank-drives by a fair amount.
  • Modular systems (separate controller, motor and battery) with non-moulded connectors are the easiest to fix and diagnose. Spare parts are cheaper and easier to get. Moulded connectors are great when working, but make simple tasks nearly impossible when you have problems.
  • A small/medium sized hub-motor can give loads of assistance up steep hills if you have a 48v system. 36V ones are a bit lacking for steep hills.
  • You should be looking at at least 5 years use from your kit, so an extra couple of hours to install it could save you years of torment from a crappier easier to fit kit or a badly installed one. Think of your installation as an investment in the future.
  • There's no answer to which is the best kit. They all have advantages and disadvantages.
This advice is based on my experience. I've done about 40 complete installation and repaired/adapted/modified many other electric bikes. I don't sell anything, neither do I charge for any services.

Last edited:

WillW

Oct 3, 2019
Thank you for the insight & advice. It pretty much confirms that I've made the best choice for my requirements & available funds. (I really did do an awful lot of research - I must have found EVERY online resource.)
I was never going to buy a cheap, or any, kit from God knows who on Ebay, with little likelihood of back-up or customer support in case of problems. Woosh came up time and again as the go-to place for tried & tested motors with decent batteries, and good customer support.
I'm not looking for an electric self-propelling moped, I want to pedal, but I just can't make it uphill these days. My main requirement is capacity to significantly ease the hill climbs. Still pedalling - but without anything like the same effort it currently takes. I ought to live in Norfolk, but I don't, I live in Devon. If I want a nice long flat ride I have to put the bike in the car and drive it to a cycle path. Not ideal when what I fancy is a bike ride and not a drive.
All reports suggest mid-drive is the way to go for max torque and hill climbing.
I was initially going with the 36v 250w Bafang motor, until I saw the 48v 250w Tongsheng motor with torque sensor. This motor also has a throttle, which seems to me to be the best possible option.
As to longevity of the kit, well, I'm no fan of plastic gears, but my bike has an easy life and I don't have real concerns about wearing anything out. I'm never going to be a daily cyclist - although who knows, if this turns out well! Battery maintenance is my main concern, but really not much.
I'm not worried about installation, I've got years of motorbike maintenance & engine repair under my belt and a mountain of tools (although I will have to buy a crank puller and bottom bracket tool).
I have a few last questions when I phone Woosh today, which hopefully will be enough to take the plunge.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
As to longevity of the kit, well, I'm no fan of plastic gears,
most mid and geared hub motors have some plastic gears in their transmission - it's the sacrificial piece in case the gearbox runs into a big problem.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Resurrecting an old thread here, but just wanted to update all on my satisfaction with the Tongsheng kit.
I have gone all green an bought a Nissan Leaf, but cannot fit the Thule bike carrier as tow-hitches are not in the Leaf's homogulation rules for the UK - yet. So until I can fit my tow-hitch I bought a Bones 2 rear bike carrier from Halfords.

Enjoying my new-found green way of life, drive to the New Forest to cycle through with my ebike, it's living the retirement dream. Fully recoverd from my spill last year, I have taken to actually wearing those gell thingy underpants! That and the pneumatic saddle post gives me an extra few miles of comfort before the old bones start complaining when cycling down the New Forest's gravel tracks. The Tongsheng kit is behaving itself well and makes it a far more pleasurable experience because it is so quiet, important in the forest to hear all the sounds of nature.

I tend to go to the forest more than along the sea front promenade in Bournemouth nowadays as the council are really slack in clearing the piles of sand cast onto the promenade after the storms over the Winter.

Reactions: Johnocyprus