Why is so much illegal 'commuting' not policed ?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The problem you suffer is a severe lack of traffic, enabling the traffic you have to be a major nuisance in so many ways.
I won't count the ways, because you're well aware of them and it'd take too long thumping it all out on my newly airblasted clean keyboard - disgusting and smelly rotted dead skin from my zombie fingers would only fill it up again, impeding it's noise-free function. Frustrating gridlock out there at certain hours of the day - I suppose all that thundering about at high speeds at night must be some form of self-administered catharsis.

Here's the Mercedes lens which dented my wooden door. It does a great job of widening beams and it's heat-resistant, so I had a mind to use this as a diffuser for my rear red 1800LM flasher. Trouble is, it's a heavy lump of glass. Using this as a paperweight on my desk in bright daylight could start a fire. Sadly this lens isn't clear enough for photography use, but must surely be good for something.

I may yet superglue + baking soda the lens over this, for a wider beam. Or I could stick on a grid plastic diffuser, or both.

EDIT: I've just now discovered this Mercedes lens fits inside the largest and brightest of the three headlights I have on my handlebar! The lens flange is a bit too thick - the headlight's lens ring isn't held on by much thread, but I'm sure I can make this secure and waterproof. The option is there to replace my "1800LM" red flasher with this "2400LM"...

I can't buy from the same AliExpress seller I bought this middle headlight from - I've terminally pissed him and AliExpress off by opening a Paypal case, because of it's inability to operate at 36V lol. Works fine at 18V.

...or I could buy the same headlight from the same AliExpress seller again, but now that I have a variable power supply, this time I could record the video evidence AliExpress insist upon and get a refund. The seller would have a fit :D

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Of course.

Diplomatic Protection Officers all carry revolvers and the Foreign Embassies, Commissions and Legations are in London, plus the homes of many of their native senior officials.

In consequence there are large numbers of revolver armed protection officers on duty 24 hours a day. The uniformed ones wear their revolvers holstered on their belts, I used to see them regularly in Central London.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
wont be long now :p

you fight fire with more fire power section 1 firearms license required and 10k for the gun ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:cool:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Of course.

Diplomatic Protection Officers all carry revolvers and the Foreign Embassies, Commissions and Legations are in London, plus the homes of many of their native senior officials.

In consequence there are large numbers of revolver armed protection officers on duty 24 hours a day. The uniformed ones wear their revolvers holstered on their belts, I used to see them regularly in Central London.
I do hope they have automatics, browning high powers, revolvers are so last century old chap.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I do hope they have automatics, browning high powers, revolvers are so last century old chap.
Yes, using the term revolver loosely for any single handed firearm. Should have been pistol of course, but we in Britain are unfamiliar with such discussion since we don't roam around armed in the way many Americans do.

Reactions: D8ve

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Cardiff police seize 17 illegal e-bikes in crackdown on riding in pedestrianised areas GOOD

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Having done 6 speed awareness courses* over about 20 years I can answer the "How do I drive at 20?" Conundrum. I tried it in North Welsh Wales a couple of weeks ago. I was told 3rd for 30, so tried 2nd for 20 and it works.

*I collected enough left over free pens after each course to last until the next one!

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Having done 6 speed awareness courses* over about 20 years I can answer the "How do I drive at 20?" Conundrum. I tried it in North Welsh Wales a couple of weeks ago. I was told 3rd for 30, so tried 2nd for 20 and it works.

*I collected enough left over free pens after each course to last until the next one!

I would not be too ashamed to boast about that :mad::mad::mad::mad:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Just back from a trip to North Wales, accompanied by my bike, making use of a lift in the back of a van and two fairly long bike-on-train legs.

Since last autumn's trip, Glasgow has introduced a LEZ and Wales the 20 mph limits.

From my visiting cyclist perspective, very much nicer to ride in the changed areas. Much quieter in central Glasgow, and when I'm doing 12 to 18 mph ( tailwind), 20 mph traffic just has so much less threat.

Reactions: Kizza

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I would not be too ashamed to boast about that :mad::mad::mad::mad:
That's a confusing reply, telling me you wouldn't be ashamed then angry faces????? If you are playing Peter Perfect you need to get it right. ;) So who here hasn't hit 36mph in a 30 a few times over 20 years?

The first course was on in a trial being run in Lancashire, over a full day with lunch. Theory in the morning then a trip out with a driving instructor, 2 of us with each instructor. They soon cut the lunch and a trip out, all theory now.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Here in Ceredigion the blanket application of 20 limit is an absolute mess. There are some places signed and some not. There are 20 signs followed by 30 repeaters. There are signed 30 areas with repeaters but the flashing led tells you 20. There are 20 limits on roads with good visibility but 30/40 on winding roads with intermittant houses. Consequently some people are driving every where at20 'cos they don't know what they're supposed to do. This pisses others off and is leading to some mad overtakes. The majority seem to be ignoring it, especially where the road is wide, straight and has good visibility. All the locals know where the mobile camera vans get parked (sites are limited) so misbehave inbetween.

Personally, since it's introduction, I have found my fuel consumption has marginally gone up, trying to maintain 20 in a loaded 15cwt van up a steep hill is definitely a 2nd gear high revs job.

Related Articles

Advertisers