Why Ride Rad?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
In order to travel south, south east out of town from here i need to take bendy 2 lane b unlit country roads with tall hedges and national speed limit, Not really an option on my 'city bike' and at night simply a frightening prospect, a comparable speed to other road users is a must for safety reasons, my current option for one destination is to simply take a 12mile? detour via tracks and slow bumpy paths to travel 6 miles. only 3 of which are on hazardous bendy rds

Now my current bike would not be safe at any speed higher than 15mph, but the next one, i might even be convinced to ride rad after all. ....

Reactions: Peran

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Bloody bright lights fore and aft are safer on bendy country roads, lit or unlit - I can hear cars slowing down behind me, because they see the red flashing glowing foliage on the bend ahead of them, wondering what it is. Very bright headlights illuminate foliage beyond the bends, preventing vans cutting across corners and heading right at me.

Peran

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2024
I think the sturdiness of the Radrunner is a definite plus factor, the downsides?
The weight
Making turns at slow speeds
But that's about all I can comment on really, I just love the radrunner.

Reactions: MikelBikel

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
The specification sheet that I linked to is for a motor with one winding suitable for a 26/700C/28 wheel. You can tell that because the weight is 4.1 kg.

If the specification sheet was for different windings then it would say so and the weight of the motors would be different due to the different amount of copper.

They are rating this motor at:

250 watts at 36 volts
350 watts at 43 volts
500 watts at 48 volts

They have done exactly the same on the specification sheet for my G020 and it has got nothing to do with the wind.

They are just trying to show their motors are compliant in the various global markets.

We all know that these motors can be run at far higher levels than what is printed on the motor.

Last edited:

Peran

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2024
I got bored watching it because he kept trying to justify the eggrider is just to improve the hill climbing ability. When everyone knows it turns a 250w ebike into a 750 watt e-bike.
AGS - Some folk think that torque is more useful that top speed, I am one of those folk.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
From the research I did ( a lot!)
It seems like legality of the whole thing completely eluded you despite all the effort you put into research.
EggRider is a derestricting device and as such is illegal. You should not really promote it here as it is against forum rules.
BTW £120 for LCD display is a robbery in bright daylight.

I did not see a bike that has all the attributes that the Radrunner has:
Customizable Utility Bike
Proven electric motor
Robust frame
Fat Tyres
Single Deralier (Less to go wrong)
Premium manufacturer
Coolest looking e Bike available (my opinion)
After-sales service available
2 Year Warranty
All frames are robust. Single speed might be acceptable on bike that cost £500. What you have is an illegal moped, not an pedelec.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The specification sheet that I linked to is for a motor with one winding suitable for a 26/700C/28 wheel. You can tell that because the weight is 4.1 kg.

If the specification sheet was for different windings then it would say so and the weight of the motors would be different due to the different amount of copper.

They are rating this motor at:

250 watts at 36 volts
350 watts at 43 volts
500 watts at 48 volts

They have done exactly the same on the specification sheet for my G020 and it has got nothing to do with the wind.

They are just trying to show their motors are compliant in the various global markets.

We all know that these motors can be run at far higher levels than what is printed on the motor.
If it has 250w that's printed on it, that's all that matters.

Peran

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2024
Indeed.

But the video, which does promote the RAD, does not make clear whether its UK road legal.
Well, here's the thing as far as I am aware - the motor is labelled 250w, and I do not exceed 15.5mph (except when free-wheeling down a steep incline) so you may be correct - technically that is - but I am fully insured on my Radrunner, and I also think even if I am involved in an accident (heaven forbid!) I would be legally safe.
Appreciate your input

Ride Rad

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Well, here's the thing as far as I am aware - the motor is labelled 250w, and I do not exceed 15.5mph (except when free-wheeling down a steep incline) so you may be correct - technically that is - but I am fully insured on my Radrunner, and I also think even if I am involved in an accident (heaven forbid!) I would be legally safe.
Appreciate your input

Ride Rad
Nope. Your insurance is invalid and you are very far from being legally safe.

Peran

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2024
It seems like legality of the whole thing completely eluded you despite all the effort you put into research.
EggRider is a derestricting device and as such is illegal. You should not really promote it here as it is against forum rules.

All frames are robust. Single speed might be acceptable on bike that cost £500. What you have is an illegal moped, not an pedelec.

Is it not all about choice? I know what the Eggrider does for the torque , and that it makes a huge difference, whether the Radrunner is legal is another matter, as for a single - speed version, you failed to omit the advantages this has for future maintenance costs. As for the debate concerning whether it is, or is not a pedelec, sure the clue is in the name? Ped = Pedal and elec = battery powered, surely the Radrunner has both attributes?

Appreciate the input

Ride Rad

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
the motor is labelled 250w
That is very good. Your bike might have been legal.
...up to the point when you derestricted it.

and I do not exceed 15.5mph
Legally it matters if motor cuts off at that point or not.

but I am fully insured on my Radrunner,
Check small print. All policies I have checked were very clear that bike must be legal. You might be paying for insurance which probably is invalid.

I also think even if I am involved in an accident (heaven forbid!) I would be legally safe.
In case of an accident (touch wood) you might find yourself in real trouble. This is when s**** hits the fan. This is when police and lawyers will check things. It looks like at this moment you are driving an illegal moped without insurance, plates, MOT etc.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bosch bike is labeled 250w but under the speed limit there is no power limit under that speed.

otherwise you could not climb any hill on it.

and with the speed limit removed i can hit near 40mph on the flat.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Is it not all about choice? I know what the Eggrider does for the torque
Interestingly increase in torque can be achieved legally. It is unfortunate Eggrider seems to be focused mainly on other things like increase of speed and unlocking throttle which makes it illegal.

failed to omit the advantages this has for future maintenance costs.
I am not sure how high costs of maintenance might be. I never spent a penny on that.

As for the debate concerning whether it is, or is not a pedelec, sure the clue is in the name? Ped = Pedal and elec = battery powered, surely the Radrunner has both attributes?
By pedelec I meant legal EAPC.