Why Ride Rad?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hi Guerney - I'll take a photo and post it tomorrow (19th)
Ride Rad
Cheers, I look forward to seeing a photo of your motor's label and other markings.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Would be interesting to know the battery continuous discharge rating .
"Genuine Samsung 35E cells"

"Battery purchases are final and batteries cannot be returned" :oops:

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
If he is lucky enough to have a G062 instead of a G060 then he has a very torquey motor and it will be a superb hill climber.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
"Genuine Samsung 35E cells"

"Battery purchases are final and batteries cannot be returned" :oops:
Definately not for high power then , 35e is only a so so cell.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I have noticed that people fit one of these and put a more capable battery inside.

Got to laugh at the cup holder.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Definately not for high power then , 35e is only a so so cell.
Does this mean if the OP is drawing very high continuous current from that battery, he won't be riding rad for much longer? A bike aflame looks pretty radical. Ride red morelike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peran

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have noticed that people fit one of these and put a more capable battery inside.

Got to laugh at the cup holder.
For a cannister of liquid nitrogen to extinguish the battery fire? They're gonna need bigger cup holders.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Does this mean if the OP is drawing very high continuous current from that battery, he won't be riding rad for much longer? A bike aflame looks pretty radical. Ride red morelike.
No, those cells aren’t marvellous by today’s standards but they have a maximum discharge current of 8 amps, each, so at 4P or 5P it will cope, but won’t give much range flat out from a 14AH battery.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Now look up the comparison between maximum discharge current of each type of cell.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Now look up the comparison between maximum discharge current of each type of cell.
"Max. continuous current: 15A "

"Maximum discharge current: 13A "

How is the maximum continuous discharge current of this Rad battery containing Samsung 35E cells calculated?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The battery is 14ah std so only 4p , typically one should draw approx. 60% for cell longevity. 20a at 4p would be about the ideal draw for power , one can see it starting to sag more at 7a.

30Q's have a chequered past of self discharging.
Although the 30Q has a max 20a discharge it is not a continuous discharge, 15a is it's continuous discharge.
One can see it is a bit saggy at 15a but the discharge curve is linear.
It isn't an out and out power cell but has a lot of stored energy , at 20a one see it down to only 1500mah @3.3v.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The battery is 14ah std so only 4p , typically one should draw approx. 60% for cell longevity. 20a would be about the ideal draw for power.
If the OP's level 3 draws more than 48V X 20A = 960W, his battery will provide longer service life, if he rides rad at level 2? ie Roaming a bit less rad.

Probably not a good idea to use the throttle for long then, if the OP has one.

Never go beyond Pas level 3 - ever

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
He needs to enquire about all this stuff on the Rad owners forum. They have been running these upgrades for years, so should be able to advise him of what works and what doesn’t.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
If the op is happy with his bike thats about all anyone needs to care about. and as to whether the motor is legal or not I dont think matters either, as long as he isnt bombing along the road at 40mph, he's not going to attract any attention.

Just another bloke pottering along.

Not my cup of tea, and the weight is pretty extreme, but such is the nature of it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I can't imagine cycling a 36kg bike with no gears and a legal 250 watt motor up a hill. The later Rad-Runner versions at least had gears (and suspension IIRC).
81lbs = 36.741kg... that's before the 3kg Kryptonite bike lock, drinks holder, suspension seatpost, mudguards, GoPro mount and camera, phone holder, and Zefal Doockack II end bar mirror. About 40kg? Whenever I attempt weighing my bike, I leave all that sort of stuff on.

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
81lbs = 36.741kg... that's before the 3kg Kryptonite bike lock, drinks holder, suspension seatpost, mudguards, GoPro mount and camera, phone holder, and Zefal Doockack II end bar mirror. About 40kg? Whenever I attempt weighing my bike, I leave all that sort of stuff on.
I'm still not seeing any attraction to Riding Rad either. My 20" Fiido is less than half the weight (17.5kg stripped, 19kg with rack and all the bits and bobs attached), and half the price. If it were made of pig-iron, it'd likely still weigh less.