Why Ride Rad?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'm still not seeing any attraction to Riding Rad either. My 20" Fiido is less than half the weight (17.5kg stripped, 19kg with rack and all the bits and bobs attached), and half the price. If it were made of pig-iron, it'd likely still weigh less.
Horses for courses. It's the same sort of thing as an Eskuta. It takes you from one place to another with minimal effort. It's not meant to be a bicycle.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
48V x 35A = 1700W. 40kg shouldn't be a problem while there is a juice in battery.
It is not a bike, it is a batpod.
Don't forget that's power from the battery, not from the wheel. The maximum theoretical from the wheel is about 1200w, and you'd only get that in niche circumstances, assuming the max speed is capped at the legal maximum.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Something like an E-moped weighs about 70kg.

In comparison, my old 1980s Honda CB125 weighed i believe about 120kg

So 40kg is not that bad really. Although it is for want of a better description a bicycle, throttle or no.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Something like an E-moped weighs about 70kg.

In comparison, my old 1980s Honda CB125 weighed i believe about 120kg

So 40kg is not that bad really. Although it is for want of a better description a bicycle, throttle or no.
Closer to the Honda P50 - the one they gave away free with their cars. You had to help it up hills with pedalling, pedal it to start and do a lot of pedalling when it didn't work, which was not fun.

Perfect moped for electric conversion:

Reactions: Peran

Peran

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2024
I'm still not seeing any attraction to Riding Rad either. My 20" Fiido is less than half the weight (17.5kg stripped, 19kg with rack and all the bits and bobs attached), and half the price. If it were made of pig-iron, it'd likely still weigh less.
But is it as cool as The Radrunner Cyclebuddy? I'll let you decide...

Peran

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2024
Closer to the Honda P50 - the one they gave away free with their cars. You had to help it up hills with pedalling, pedal it to start and do a lot of pedalling when it didn't work, which was not fun.

Perfect moped for electric conversion:
I used to have an NSU Quickly back in the day...

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
But is it as cool as The Radrunner Cyclebuddy? I'll let you decide...
We all think our own bikes look cool, don't we? Nobody is going to willingly buy a bike they think looks like a total dog unless they're really strapped for cash and it's all they can afford.

Reactions: Peran

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It would be good for offroad ,wild camping and stuff like that.
Eddie PJ bought a larger style similar bike for his adventures , it horses for course but imv they ara bit silly for road use as are those who ride around on fat bikes , but that fad seems to have worn a bit thin now.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
So Op's Motor could be 500w, OP- your aftermarket display should have enough bells and whistles to display watt expenditure under load? so how many watts does your motor consume when pushed under load, iirc a 'legit 250w' motor can consume 7,800w+ with a sufficient controller and battery if yours munches down significantly more ? it could be a clear indicator?
"How many vatts?"
"Don't tell him Pike, oops!" :) ('Dad's Army' TV show)

Yes standard euro RadRunner plus lcd display doesn't show watts, "not part of EU model config" I think they emailed me. (Just shows limits of 50w, 100w, 150w, 200w, 250w per assist levels 1-5).

Hills are the worst, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, even 1st if I have my petite passenger And full shop onboard, phew, hehe.
Maybe one of those torqueier motor cores with the bigger magnets and more windings would help? Some (like 'CitizenCycle') do swap them out.

Don't really want to unduly wear my battery down by drawing more watts coz power and range drop with voltage as battery is depleted. (48v, 14ah, 672wh).

LBS was telling me of Road bike rider who had destroyed his carbon wheel in a rainwater filled pothole (€€€). So having 4in tyres that save me and passenger a walk home is better for us.

Is the weight of "light" alloy frames due to the extra needed to stop flexing causing metal fatigue?

'Horses for courses'.