Will the end of full speed throttles in January 2016 cause a rush to buy.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
I very much doubt it, the walk beside facility is designed to assist when walking a bicycle up a hill while not loaded.
If you follow the above poor advice above and use it as described make sure your warranty covers you as the possibility of cooking the motor while running it in such a low efficiency level is very high.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I very much doubt it, the walk beside facility is designed to assist when walking a bicycle up a hill while not loaded.
If you follow the above poor advice above and use it as described make sure your warranty covers you as the possibility of cooking the motor while running it in such a low efficiency level is very high.
Walk beside throttles like the walk assist button on my Kalkhoff yes. But as far as I can see the throttles on bikes sold after the turn of the year will be normal throttles but restricted to 4 mph. That is what some traders here have written. So unless you know better I suggest you check with them before accusing me of offering poor advice.

Ken Ferguson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 12, 2015
Hand throttles are safer and more controllable.

I had my bikes out in Tenerife earlier in the year and was able to ride them in the middle of large groups of slow moving pedestrians by riding the throttle. It would not have been possible using pedals.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It would not have been possible using pedals.
Sorry Ken, I also have to say this is simply untrue. There are many pedestrian shopping areas in the Netherlands for example where pedal bicycles, pedelecs and pedestrians mingle in large numbers at walking pace without problems. I've even seen that in videos from there posted in this forum, the walkers paying no attention to the cyclists riding amidst them on the shared pavement , it being legal and normal there.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Thing to test on a test ride is starting from scratch on a steep hill. I should have put it a very low gear and tried. Or rather I should have been cycling up in a lower gear. Kalkhoff was back heavy and not very agile: seems more of a smooth (mythical) road bike rather than bumpy cyclepaths, potholes, wayward pedestrians, dogs darting out and cars stopping suddenly. Maybe the heaviness of the electric bike excludes ridability in the real world of bumps and humps. Road conditions is the one reason why the small wheeled bikes are not favoured by me.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Am I missing something? EBike sales up 16.2%. City and Trekking bikes (not ebikes) down 22%. Makes sense to me. [emoji848]
Makes senses to me, and it also accords with what the manager of my local bike shop told me.

They've sold more ebikes this year than ever before, but overall sales are down.

Halfords' sales have also dropped.

I've always thought the so called boom in cycling was more real than imagined, certainly outside London.

But if there was one, it's certainly conked out this year.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I would also like old fashioned conventional forks so I can fit a front rack. Not quick release bulbous forks. Why are these used?

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Makes senses to me, and it also accords with what the manager of my local bike shop told me.

They've sold more ebikes this year than ever before, but overall sales are down.

Halfords' sales have also dropped.

I've always thought the so called boom in cycling was more real than imagined, certainly outside London.

But if there was one, it's certainly conked out this year.

Boom in Shoreham (Sussex). So much so that cycle traffic is becoming a problems for other cyclists. I will anticipate it to fall down in sales unless well designed bicycles become available (reason to change) (not me, my bikes wear out). Major restriction is storage place for bikes in the rabbit hudge houses without big enough gardens for a secure shed (to build mine before my ebike).

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Shemozzle, we have upgraded the power on our 4mph walk assist mode to make hill starts easier on our Wisper SE simple cadence sensor models. I don't think we will have any problems and haven't in tests. I will report back if we do.

All the best

David

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I'm gonna fit the pedelec on my bike today, for the last couple of years i've only had the throttle fitted. Gonna see how it suits me for the next month or so.
If i decide that i cant do without a throttle, then i'll just stick to fitting kits in the future instead of buying ready built ebikes.
Probably always gonna be able to get throttles from China.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
of course you'd turn the power off it you're riding though a crowded public space at slow speeds.
No doubt you could win Col if the bike was reduced to a non e-bike, but I thought this was about the control of electrical assistance? Have I misunderstood?