Will the end of full speed throttles in January 2016 cause a rush to buy.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I think that most of the forum are aware that full speed throttles (those that throttle up to 15.5 mph) will be illegal on bikes bought after January 2016,unless the bike has type approval.
Ironically the big European manufacturers often sell e-bikes with type approval, but regs on mainland Europe prohibit throttles ,except use below 4 mph-take off device,so the big manufacturers have no reason to type approve e-bikes with full speed throttles.
This leaves the smaller UK suppliers with the decision as to whether to type approve their e-bikes,just to provide a full speed throttle.
For some time now most of our e-bikes have only a ' up to 4 mph' throttle,it does not seem to unduly affect sales so whether the cost and effort of type approval is questionable.
The bike,of our range, that seems to suit a full speed throttle is the Kudos Secret folder,which lends itself to a short journey commuter bike and many like the throttle to lazy ride to work and/or quick takeoff at junctions,it's a shame to delete the throttle off that style of bike.
Our complete stock of full speed throttle bikes will be sold by year end, I wonder whether there will be a rush at the last minute.
This change will considerably affect the type of bikes that can be legally sold in the UK,the moped or scooter style bikes with their footrest pedals will be very difficult to operate without a throttle. The 1000 watt bikes with or without throttle will have to type approve or SVA into the light moped class.
Being practical about it,how many small manufacturers will type approve their e-bikes,anyone who has gone through SVA knows what a logistical and bureaucratic nightmare is involved. Although I thank those who tried to retain throttles in the UK,the offer by the DFt allowing throttles only on e-bikes with type approval,was in reality a sop to reward those efforts but without practical foundation.
It looks to me that after January 2016 we will all abide with mainland Europe EN15194.
KudosDave

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I reckon there will be a rush to secure one before they are phased out.

On the other hand, I think the change in law will spurn manufacturers to improve on the pedal assist system. Which can only be a good thing :)

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I think manufacturer should just ignore it. Lots of seller provide throttle and makes happy customers

Reactions: shambolic

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think that most of the forum are aware that full speed throttles (those that throttle up to 15.5 mph) will be illegal on bikes bought after January 2016,unless the bike has type approval.
The authorities seem somewhat muddled on this Dave, here's what the DfT said a short while ago:

Although type-approval according to the new system is possible since 22 March 2013, type-approval according to the “old” system based on Directive 2002/24/EC will continue for new L1-e vehicles, systems and components until 31 December 2016. On January 1, 2017, the new type-approval rules will come definitely into force.

So they appear to be saying one must use the old 2003 "Low Powered Moped" type approval until January 2017, not the forthcoming L1e regulation. My objection is not only that this old style type approval is near to impossible for e-bikes.

More importantly, how can the DfT say that a fully-acting throttle fitted requires type approval because 168/2013 requires it, if the type approval regulations specified therein are not available to type approve.

Either 168/2013 is in force or it is not, this selective cherry-picking is not acceptable.

Of course the DfT have caused this problem by jumping the gun, the new EAPC amendments should have been delayed until the new LIe-A type approval method was available, instead of rushing it in on 6th April this year.

We had hoped that the amendments would at long last clarify the legal status of e-bikes in the UK, but instead we appear to be heading into an even bigger mess.

Last edited:

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Most first time buyers will not be aware of the issue, so there will be no rush to buy.

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
Some of the Comments on here give me a heavy heart. If it's so difficult to get type approval and not economically worthwhile, then it seems my excursion into E-bikes will last as long as the life of my Woosh bike. Also there will be no possibility of upgrade in the future. That will be me and a very high percentage of people with mobility problems losing out on the liberating experience of E-bikes. The most galling thing is the bit in the government statement that this will not impact upon disabled people...yeah right

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't worry. I'm sure nobody will be checking throttles. It's too complicated. As long as your motor has 250w written on it and doesn't go over 25 km/h, nobody will care.

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
Don't worry. I'm sure nobody will be checking throttles. It's too complicated. As long as your motor has 250w written on it and doesn't go over 25 km/h, nobody will care.
I guess the problem will be actually finding one to buy as time goes on.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I suspect most will find a way round it,like the 15.5 mph cutoff,its just that manufacturers wont be able to supply with full speed throttles.
Kudos will have to supply throttles as service items on old models.........!!!!!!!
It is so frustrating being a supplier in the UK at the moment,the EU invent the rules but we seem the only country to abide by them....our government wants us to export then puts so much red tape on us that it just is not worthwhile to smaller businesses.
They had an opportunity to help out smaller UK e-bike suppliers with something that only UK suppliers could satisfy....like the germans inventing S-class that only the germans can benefit from.
KudosDave

D

Deleted member 4366

Manufacurers will only need to leave the connector on the controller. Ebay will do a roaring trade in throttles. It'll be just like those that want fast bikes now buy the models with easily removed speed restrictions. People that need a throttle will buy a bike that has the connector.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree, the problems will only be experienced by those trying to comply with the type approval.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Some of the Comments on here give me a heavy heart. If it's so difficult to get type approval and not economically worthwhile, then it seems my excursion into E-bikes will last as long as the life of my Woosh bike. Also there will be no possibility of upgrade in the future. That will be me and a very high percentage of people with mobility problems losing out on the liberating experience of E-bikes. The most galling thing is the bit in the government statement that this will not impact upon disabled people...yeah right
Even more annoying when the fundementlal principles of the EU state:

CHARTER OF FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS OF THE EUROPEAN UNION

Article 25

The rights of the elderly

The Union recognises and respects the rights of the elderly to lead a life of dignity and independence and to participate in social and cultural life.

Article 26

Integration of persons with disabilities

The Union recognises and respects the right of persons with disabilities to benefit from measures designed to ensure their independence, social and occupational integration and participation in the life of the community.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Even more annoying when the fundementlal principles of the EU state:

CHARTER OF FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS OF THE EUROPEAN UNION

Article 25

The rights of the elderly

The Union recognises and respects the rights of the elderly to lead a life of dignity and independence and to participate in social and cultural life.

Article 26

Integration of persons with disabilities

The Union recognises and respects the right of persons with disabilities to benefit from measures designed to ensure their independence, social and occupational integration and participation in the life of the community.
Of course it's not the EU promoting the discrimination in these pedelec rules, new or old. It's the commercial interests of the motorcycle, scooter and moped lobby implying all sorts of false disadvantages with more freedom such as independent throttles. They fear loss of sales so act accordingly.

They play on the vulnerabilities of politicians and civil servants who genuinely only desire to do good and are therefore inclined to avoid anything which the lobbyists indicate might cause accidents.

The lobbyists point that it is essential that pedelecs remain bicycles is a very powerful one for a number of reasons. It excuses allegations of discrimination, since bicycles are inherently unsuitable for many forms of disability, and it prevents the addition of motorcycle-like additions, such as fully acting throttles.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
I would love to see any lobbyists data regarding what might be potential causes of accidents as I believe none has been recorded as an EAPC/EPAC has never been needed to be registered thus no data has been collected.

I might be wrong but would not elderly/disabled citizens be allowed to ride the new L1e-A powered cycle after introduction to the market thus being in control of a throttle as allowed by the UK statements recently given?

I can't think of anything that would decrease the safety of riding an EAPC/EPAC if the peddles are not turning.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I might be wrong but would not elderly/disabled citizens be allowed to ride the new L1e-A powered cycle after introduction to the market thus being in control of a throttle as allowed by the UK statements recently given?
I agree, but of course those lobbyists are still arguing against the L1e-A provisions as you know from the letter exposed in an earlier thread discussion, so they haven't conceded this point.

They clearly are not giving up in their attacks yet.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
By the end of the year we might be out of the EU , the tunnel will be closed and filled in, our membership will increase by 300% and do it yourself kit sales for throttles conversion up by 800%:rolleyes:

C

Cyclezee

eZee bikes are made for the world market and can be configured to comply with US, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand or EU regulations etc., etc., probably even UK regulations.....if only we knew for certain once and for all what the hell they are.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
By the end of the year we might be out of the EU , the tunnel will be closed and filled in, our membership will increase by 300% and do it yourself kit sales for throttles conversion up by 800%:rolleyes:
We've had 32 years of a free for all with throttles and our e-bike sales have consistently been among the lowest in Northern Europe.

In countries like The Netherlands and Germany where they haven't even been allowed throttles, sales have been huge. The former with only a quarter of our population buy ten times the number of e-bikes each year than we do in the UK.

Clearly having throttles permitted does nothing for sales, if there's any connection it's the opposite.

Ken Ferguson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 12, 2015
I'm not sure poor UK e-bike sales can be put down to our bikes operating on the throttle as well as the pedals. UK riders have always been able to pedal if the wanted to.
Regulation is rarely logical but the requirement to obtain type approval for one type of electric bike but not another makes less sense than most. And of course it discriminates against the disabled. If I did that they'd lock me up!!!

More here http://eriderbikes.com/throttled-by-red-tape/