Wisper 905se on ebay

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
TBH I'd ask more questions - most people wouldn't spend £1300 on a Wisper then "hardly ever use it" - unless she (or the person who bought it for) was really intimidated by the roads or had got unwell and was unable to cycle (which sadly seems to be a common occurence with e-bikers given their current demographic)

it does look like a relatively clean and well cared for 2008 model.

Either way if I were buying it I'd still budget for a new battery - so I think its approaching its fair market value anyway...

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
speak for yourself im 29 and in perfect health. this is a wild assumption.
I'm only 37 and also in good health too, but whilst there are a few younger folk on here and more so than whenever this forum started I don't think its a wild assumption at all. The bulk of the regular contributors on here are mostly old enough to be our uncles/aunts, if not our parents or even grandparents!

There's a fair amount of people here in their middle years who are trying to regain fitness and/or reduce the use of a second or third car for financial reasons, also a significant amount of retired folk (aged 55- 70+) in the higher income bracket who ride e-bikes because they are both useful transport and very interesting to tinker with. TBH I think this last group make up the bulk of contributors to this forum.

Unfortunately age catches up with all of them - I've seen people on here sell new-ish bikes because of various age-related medical problems meaning they are no longer fit enough to ride.

if you're realistic and consider your own circle of friends I'd bet you find the same as me, most don't cycle at all and of those who do few of them are prepared to shell out the cash on a ebike or they are into MTB's or lycra type stuff (then find these machines impractical for commuting and use a car or public transport).

out on the streets as opposed to internet forums, 90% of the ebikers I see are the older generation, on Powacycles or Chinese lead acid battery type bikes. of the "younger" lot they are in their forties. I saw one "youngish" lady on a fake Wisper and thats it...

This might change in a few years time but I stand by what I say in the current climate.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's a Giant LaFree as well, for around the same auction price (so far):

Lafree Electric Bike (Giant) on eBay (end time 07-Feb-10 19:53:10 GMT)

:)
Beware, the description belongs to another type of bike and is completely misleading. The seller admits right at the end that the bike isn't a Lafree Sport, but that's just not good enough. The two bikes are so radically different that the description is worthless and should not have been there.

The bike for sale is in fact a Lafree Twist Lite and it's the most basic version. It cost £850 in the first place and could be anything from four to seven years old. As a long discontinued model for which almost no spares are available, I think £400 is excessive.

Remember, virtually none of the features in the description apply to this bike.

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
speak for yourself im 29 and in perfect health. this is a wild assumption.
I'm 39 in good health and a keen cyclist - both e-bike and traditional. The e-bike is my choice of vehicle for those medium length journeys where previously I would have used the car. I've only ever seen about 2 other e-bikers on the streets and one was in my age bracket and the other abit older

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We used to have a thread with an age graph showing our profile. The membership was predominantly 40 to 70+ with more than half the members over 50. I only knew of a couple of members in their twenties then.

That was when the membership was between a quarter and a third of the present level.

It's undoubtedly become a rather younger profile now but the older half are still easily the majority.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I'm 39 in good health and a keen cyclist - both e-bike and traditional. The e-bike is my choice of vehicle for those medium length journeys where previously I would have used the car. I've only ever seen about 2 other e-bikers on the streets and one was in my age bracket and the other abit older
exactly. the e-biking "youth" are still mostly in their mid to late 30s (like myself) with a small few in their late 20s like monster.

At present the market leaders remain companies like Powabyke which until the introduction of the x-series was clearly aimed at (and popular with) the older generation. I think it is only very recently with models like the Wisper 905 appearing that younger folk have been interested in e-bikes... I knew about them 6 or 7 years ago but was put off by the appearance, price and then living in a city area where everything including my friends was within 6-10 miles rather than 20-30...

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
<<< under 50 just :p

Jerry

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I am 55 and have been for 3 years:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
:D

Maybe it'd be possible to start a new version of that old thread?
The problem with these threads is that only some enter their details. Most did in the early days, but that has changed over time and that's why the old thread fell into disuse.

For example, only 16.3% of members have entered their bike in "What make of bike do you own". (476 out of 2920 total members)

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Still I think it'd give a fair cross section, and perhaps if it were a sticky thread, there'd be more takers - just a thought :) .

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The problem with these threads is that only some enter their details. Most did in the early days, but that has changed over time and that's why the old thread fell into disuse.

For example, only 16.3% of members have entered their bike in "What make of bike do you own". (476 out of 2920 total members)
That probably because the list is way out of date.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That probably because the list is way out of date.
Only partly true, the take up was very low even when it was more current and the sticky out in the main forum where it was seen more readily.